BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Thundernight vs Portimao Blue

10-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is Coupe

Thundernight vs Portimao Blue

That is the dilemma I am in right now. I am going crazy thinking about it (so is my fiancé listening to me talk about it). I plan to oder a 2023 Z4 M40, but I can't decide between the two. I loved the Misano Blue, but you can no longer oder it. Has anyone seen the Thundernight & Portimao next to each other? I also plan to do black interior and black wheel regardless.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
WillC94
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M850i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekpro007 View Post
That is the dilemma I am in right now. I am going crazy thinking about it (so is my fiancé listening to me talk about it). I plan to oder a 2023 Z4 M40, but I can't decide between the two. I loved the Misano Blue, but you can no longer oder it. Has anyone seen the Thundernight & Portimao next to each other? I also plan to do black interior and black wheel regardless.
I'm in the same boat deciding between Skyscraper Gray and Portimao blue and driving my partner nuts. Not sure I can be of much help beyond both probably being fantastic choices.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
When the 2022 M240i's were first delivered to my dealer I saw both colors side by side and they are beautiful. One of my best friends was originally going to order the Thundernight on the M240i but was afraid he would be tired of looking at the color after a year or so he switched his order to Portimao and hasn't regretted his choice.

They will both look great on the Z4 and all I can say is that if you want some bling, go with the Thundernight. If you want a beautiful blue color that has a slight purple caste under certain light conditions go with the Portimao.

I suggest that you order the Shadowline package as the black grill will look fabulous with the black wheels and also consider the red calipers as they will pop next to the black wheels.

Finally, I know that you plan on ordering the black interior but give the cognac some thought as it would look stunning with either the Thundernight or the Portimao colors when the top is down. I personally think that a black interior is boring and the color absorbs too much heat on sunny days.
Appreciate 1
ZVier61.00
      10-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

I am definitely going for the Shadowline and the Shadowline headlights. I am just not a huge fan of Cognac. I like the Ivory, but I would be worried about stains. I was thinking I would go with the black alcantara with the blue contrast stitching to make it a little more interesting.

I saw the Portimao with the purple hues like you mentioned. I didn't love it like the Misano blue, but maybe it would grow on me. It seemed a little boring. The Misano blue popped. The Thundernight also looks like it pops.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:30 AM   #5
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

I think, as noted, the ‘purple’ will get old after a while - unless your really like that as a favorite color. It’s very cool to start with, but after a year or so, how will you feel? Based on the pictures, the new blue looks like a better color to live with after the new car smell wears off.
      10-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I am definitely going for the Shadowline and the Shadowline headlights. I am just not a huge fan of Cognac. I like the Ivory, but I would be worried about stains. I was thinking I would go with the black alcantara with the blue contrast stitching to make it a little more interesting.

I saw the Portimao with the purple hues like you mentioned. I didn't love it like the Misano blue, but maybe it would grow on me. It seemed a little boring. The Misano blue popped. The Thundernight also looks like it pops.
I have the ivory seats on my current Z4. No stains after 3.5 years. Daily driver except in winter. Despite wearing jeans frequently when driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Does anyone have a link to a pic that they feel represents portimao blue properly? (Any BMW)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:

I got the black alcantara with blue stitching. That is a nice suttle change over basic black and the door cards have alcantara too. Makes it comfortable in the hot sun and appears as suede.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I have Misano Blue with the ivory interior and I had my seats treated with "Fusion Plus Upholstery" from Xpel. The Z4 is my daily driver and after a year the leather is still clean. I love the look as the ivory really pops when the top is down and I get compliments everywhere I go.

https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...Sheet-V1.1.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #10
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Does anyone have a link to a pic that they feel represents portimao blue properly? (Any BMW)
Go to bmwusa.com and build a 2 series. You can configure it in Portimao Blue. May not be the same in real life, but it should be close.
Appreciate 1
CeEl482.00
      10-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Go to bmwusa.com and build a 2 series. You can configure it in Portimao Blue. May not be the same in real life, but it should be close.
Looking at a color on a computer monitor will never give you a true representation as it is rare that they have been properly calibrated.
You really need to see the car's color in person. 😉
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcdr View Post
I think, as noted, the 'purple' will get old after a while - unless your really like that as a favorite color. It's very cool to start with, but after a year or so, how will you feel? Based on the pictures, the new blue looks like a better color to live with after the new car smell wears off.
This great advice!

The TN is more dramatic and maybe looks more impressive i the initial pics but…

… months and years down the line BMWs just look so classy BMW in the nicer blue shades.

Both are lovely Id go for PB.
      10-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #13
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I agree. I think Thundernight might get old. I really like it, but I just don't feel good about it. I am not a purple person either. I am rethinking the San Francisco Red. It's pretty hot with the black top and black wheel and the Shadowline. It will get even better with the LCI front end and headlights. I have never had a red car before. I can't believe I am thinking of getting red since the reason for getting the Z4 was because I loved how the Misano blue looked.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17597.00
      10-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #14
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I agree. I think Thundernight might get old. I really like it, but I just don't feel good about it. I am not a purple person either. I am rethinking the San Francisco Red. It's pretty hot with the black top and black wheel and the Shadowline. It will get even better with the LCI front end and headlights. I have never had a red car before. I can't believe I am thinking of getting red since the reason for getting the Z4 was because I loved how the Misano blue looked.
I have the Misano Blue and absolutely love it and was surprised that they would switch to the Portimao Blue for the 2023's.

That being said I am superstitious and totally believe in the urban myth that the police love to stop and ticket red sports cars.
Appreciate 1
Pprior423.50
      10-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #15
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Quote:
I have the Misano Blue and absolutely love it and was surprised that they would switch to the Portimao Blue for the 2023's.

That being said I am superstitious and totally believe in the urban myth that the police love to stop and ticket red sports cars.
I agree. I think the Misano blue is one of BMW's best blues. Now that your friend has had the Portimao blue for a year, what do you think about it? How does it compare to the Misano blue?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #16
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree. I think the Misano blue is one of BMW's best blues. Now that your friend has had the Portimao blue for a year, what do you think about it? How does it compare to the Misano blue?
I think that Misano Blue is a better shade for a roadster like the Z4 and it shows better at night.

Portimao Blue is very pretty and you definitely can see some purple in it.

As Misano will not be offered for the 2023's I would take Portimao as in my opinion it will be the best color offered.

Edited to add that every car I have owned since 1994 has been a blue color starting with a '94 325i convertible in Samoa Blue so my opinion is definitely prejudiced.

Last edited by Westside Guy; 10-12-2022 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #17
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

I took a look again at Portimao on a 3 series. I know it's not the same as seeing it on a Z4, but I just think it is kind of boring.

I'm actually really gravitating towards the San Francisco Red (SFR). It looks really good with black wheels and interior. It's also the marketing material car for the 22 model year car. Can't believe I am considering a red car.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #18
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I took a look again at Portimao on a 3 series. I know it's not the same as seeing it on a Z4, but I just think it is kind of boring.

I'm actually really gravitating towards the San Francisco Red (SFR). It looks really good with black wheels and interior. It's also the marketing material car for the 22 model year car. Can't believe I am considering a red car.
You wouldn't consider the cognac interior with the red? It is a beautiful combination when you look at it with the top down.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 10:28 AM   #19
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You wouldn't consider the cognac interior with the red? It is a beautiful combination when you look at it with the top down.
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I agree it is very beautiful. It's got Ferrari vibes in my opinion. I am not a huge fan of brown in general. I feel like cognac makes it feel more classy / timeless vs black makes it more mean / sharp. I will keep an open mind.

If I do go black, would you go with the alcantara/ blue stitching or the full leather / white stitching? It was an easy choice when I was going blue because I would get the alcantara/ blue stitching to match the outside blue.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #20
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I agree it is very beautiful. It's got Ferrari vibes in my opinion. I am not a huge fan of brown in general. I feel like cognac makes it feel more classy / timeless vs black makes it more mean / sharp. I will keep an open mind.

If I do go black, would you go with the alcantara/ blue stitching or the full leather / white stitching? It was an easy choice when I was going blue because I would get the alcantara/ blue stitching to match the outside blue.
I totally agree that the red with cognac is a classic look and that would be my first choice if I was selecting red. My second choice would be red with the ivory interior which really pops!

As mentioned, I am not a big fan of black interiors on a convertible or for that matter on any car because I live in Florida where you bake in the sun. 😎

However if you go for black car I would do the black and blue trim interior and also order the blue brake calipers.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:53 AM   #21
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Ditto, just plain ditto to everything in this thread. Def making me pause on trading in my daily with 63k miles for the exact same car, as it can’t be ordered in Misano. . . Love Thundernight, but not as classic / long term as love for Misano on the Z4. . . ??
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #22
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Thundernight glimpse on the left:

Name:  thund.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  956.1 KB