BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos C&D Article on WRX

06-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

C&D Article on WRX

Anyone read the article in the latest C&D investigating the performance gains using only bolt on equipment?

They spent about $3k on intake, exhaust and engine tune and returned nearly 330hp at the crank and 265hp at the wheels. The $300 intake alone got a 17hp and 20+lbs/ft torque increase. Then they ran a 4.3 second 0-60. That's getting close to Corvette times and shames a stock STI.

Anyone looking for a performance bargain, this is one for the decade at $25k.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Just have $3k in the bank to cover the ringlands blowing. The 09 WRX is a good bang for your buck, I still prefer my STI but it's not worth $10k more over the WRX even if it does have alot of nice bits. Of course I only paid $4k over a WRX so...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Anyone read the article in the latest C&D investigating the performance gains using only bolt on equipment?

They spent about $3k on intake, exhaust and engine tune and returned nearly 330hp at the crank and 265hp at the wheels. The $300 intake alone got a 17hp and 20+lbs/ft torque increase. Then they ran a 4.3 second 0-60. That's getting close to Corvette times and shames a stock STI.

Anyone looking for a performance bargain, this is one for the decade at $25k.
Take C&D results with a grain of salt. $3,000 on an intake, exhaust and tune... someone is smoking crack. Bargain for the decade I think not.

Do you know what $19,999 for a 2004 or 2005 Dodge SRT-4 would get you with $3,000 in modifications??? over 300whp and almost 400ft lbs of torque, a stock quaife LSD, BFG KDW for stock rubber, Viper seats and an engine that can handle 500whp on stock internals, as well as a transmission that can do the same. I've also seen SRT-4's with minor suspension modifications tooling on EVO's and STi's at the Auto X and Road course, not to mention the 1/4 mile strip. Now tell me what else can get you a low 12 second quarter mile with a total investment of $23,000 brand new.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

true but do you prefer the looks of a SRT4 over an Evo or STI?
      06-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Mehta916
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
Take C&D results with a grain of salt. $3,000 on an intake, exhaust and tune... someone is smoking crack. Bargain for the decade I think not.

Do you know what $19,999 for a 2004 or 2005 Dodge SRT-4 would get you with $3,000 in modifications??? over 300whp and almost 400ft lbs of torque, a stock quaife LSD, BFG KDW for stock rubber, Viper seats and an engine that can handle 500whp on stock internals, as well as a transmission that can do the same. I've also seen SRT-4's with minor suspension modifications tooling on EVO's and STi's at the Auto X and Road course, not to mention the 1/4 mile strip. Now tell me what else can get you a low 12 second quarter mile with a total investment of $23,000 brand new.
i guess, but at the end of the day your driving a neon. haha
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta916 View Post
i guess, but at the end of the day your driving a neon. haha
and were talking about the oh so beautiful impreza? *cough* what a joke. This is a performance value thread, looks at completely subjective. But what would anyone expect to hear from a BMW guy. That is what the guys with a small weener turn to when they get beat, if another car out did them, they just whip out the snob or price tag card to justify the beating which is just another way of indirectly showing their tail between their legs.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

That thing still has a sad top end even with the 4.3 to 60mph.
      06-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Have C&D ever heard of PROcede or the JB3?
      06-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #10
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
My thoughts exactly. This story could apply to many an automobile. While I appreciate that they even produced such an article I hope it doesn't create a "rexs are uber tuner godlike" complex among Subaru owners. They should have made a point to close out the article with a "modifying and tuning a car with stuff can make it haul ass and stuff, yeah" disclaimer.
Cool article, though.
      06-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u
Sure, but now you are talking about a $50K car, twice as much as the WRX. And, yeah, a couple of bolts will net huge gains on almost any factory turbo car. I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that for less than $30K you can have a very high performance car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
Sure, but now you are talking about a $50K car, twice as much as the WRX. And, yeah, a couple of bolts will net huge gains on almost any factory turbo car. I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that for less than $30K you can have a very high performance car.
No they OP spoke of the WRX modified, then put the new/stock pricing out there and labeled it the bargain of the decade... as in ten years. OP + bargain of the decade comment = fail
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Now tell me what else can get you a low 12 second quarter mile with a total investment of $23,000 brand new.
For $23k, maybe less, I could build a ridiculous fd3s rx7 which will blow the doors off pretty much any srt4 you bring to the plate.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
50k ? I know I sure paid a lot less than that
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
For $23k, maybe less, I could build a ridiculous fd3s rx7 which will blow the doors off pretty much any srt4 you bring to the plate.
he was referring to new cars, not older ones.

for 13k I picked up a 420whp e36 M3.....If I put another 10k in it I could be pushing 600whp in a 3000lb very very good handling car.

I am putting meth and a retune on it soon, that should put it in the 460-490whp on pump.

its a fun car
      06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #16
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
50k ? I know I sure paid a lot less than that
you can spend over 50k on a new 335 depending on options, you cant do that on a WRX.
      06-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
a man walked in the desert until he could not stand it anymore, he needed a drink and all he had was an empty cup. He unzipped his pants and peed into his cup, drank it, and his thirst was temporarily quenched and he lived another day.

moral of this story: although you did quench your thirst, you still drank piss

a dodge neon owner dropped a few thousand dollars into his engine, and he ran faster than most cars 4x more expensive.

moral of this story: although you did go pretty fast, you still drove a neon
      06-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

so in your logic, your would rather die of thirst than drink your own piss.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ray den View Post
so in your logic, your would rather die of thirst than drink your own piss.
logic goes out the window in that situation, everyone would probably drink their own piss before they die of thirst
      06-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
a man walked in the desert until he could not stand it anymore, he needed a drink and all he had was an empty cup. He unzipped his pants and peed into his cup, drank it, and his thirst was temporarily quenched and he lived another day.

a dodge neon owner dropped a few thousand dollars into his engine, and he ran faster than most cars 4x more expensive.

A man walked into a dealership with a certain budget, he found an SRT-4 which happened to be the best value on the market, he was a good driver, car enthusiast and hard working nice guy who was bbuying what he could afford, he was also faster than most other cars 4x as expensive and was very happy. One day a BMW owner walked up to him and said, it's still a Neon, and I drive a BMW, I would also rather die of thirst than drink my own piss.

Moral of the story: I'd rather be a happy, humble, nice guy driving a fast Neon that got stuck in the desert and lived because he was smart and drank his own piss and it saved him than some arrogant, ignorant, snotty douche bag that drives a BMW has a fake tan, gotti blowout haircut, small penis, overcompensating asshole that thinks he is better than everyone in his ENTRY level luxury, sport coupe...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #21
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post

good point.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
im not a hater, but if youve ever driven an SRT-4..its not exactly the pinnacle of even decent automotive creation. It was an econobox with a good engine. Made with a purpose, and it served that purpose. But by no means could anyone that owned one, or even considered owning one, try to pass it off as a truly quality vehicle.

I have no loyalty to BMW, or an expensive brand, or any care in the world about that, in fact..id rather be driving a honda. But sadly, honda has pulled every exciting vehicle from their product line, so I went for a twin turbo inline 6 from BMW. Does that have anything to do with brand? no. But my point was, a neon is a POS car, and if youve owned one (coming from a person who has) and have had friends that owned one, and known others that owned them...they are a POS, and no one can say otherwise...but they certainly do serve their speed purpose, and if thats what you bought it for, then you left every drive with a grin. If you were looking for a good car, thats not what you would feel like you got

and if you truly think that a neon is a wonderful vehicle...then perhaps you should check your view of reality, Id rather own 10 civics that were 4 seconds slower then the srt-4, just because theyre a good car

watch who you point your finger at for being insensitive

Quote:
Moral of the story: I'd rather be a happy, humble, nice guy driving a fast Neon that got stuck in the desert and lived because he was smart and drank his own piss and it saved him than some arrogant, ignorant, snotty douche bag that drives a BMW has a fake tan, gotti blowout haircut, small penis, overcompensating asshole that thinks he is better than everyone in his ENTRY level luxury, sport coupe...