BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Any one in the U.S. ordering?

10-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Any one in the U.S. ordering?

If so what kind of deal did you get? Except for cheapo financing I see no incentives or discounts being offered by BMW N.A.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
TJR0323
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 30i

I've been in the process of ordering a 2021 Z4 30i for about a month now. I thought x number of allocations per model were given to dealers on a monthly basis. I check with my salesperson each week her response is always "we're still waiting on an allocation from BMW and are not able to tell you when that might occur". I was not required to make a deposit at this point. Seems strange that with a willing buyer, checkbook in hand, they can't seem to get a car ordered. Maybe I don't fully understand the "allocation process".
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR0323 View Post
I've been in the process of ordering a 2021 Z4 30i for about a month now. I thought x number of allocations per model were given to dealers on a monthly basis. I check with my salesperson each week her response is always "we're still waiting on an allocation from BMW and are not able to tell you when that might occur". I was not required to make a deposit at this point. Seems strange that with a willing buyer, checkbook in hand, they can't seem to get a car ordered. Maybe I don't fully understand the "allocation process".
Try a different dealer. There are plenty of 2021s available right now.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...83595&zc=78748
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Where in SC are you? My parents are in the Myrtle Beach area, and there isn't much competition, and i've been to that dealer before when i've been in town and needed service and they are far from helpful.

Maybe its an issue of low competition and low demand in your area, and thus less allocations compared to other dealers

Here in NJ competition is fierce. It is not uncommon to get 8-12% off MSRP before BMW NA incentives on a priority 1 order.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Here in NJ competition is fierce. It is not uncommon to get 8-12% off MSRP before BMW NA incentives on a priority 1 order.
Not anymore. I'm working with 3 central Texas dealers on building a 30i and they, the dealer, aren't discounting but at the most $2,500 off MSRP. To add insult to injury BMW N.A. is NOT offering any discounts, not even the typical Loyalty discount. Only "incentives" is low % interest rates which I'm not interested in.

Allocations haven't been a problem according to the sales agents. There's few if any Z4's on the lots in Austin, Temple and San Antonio.

I have the money to pay cash, that's not the issue. It's the principle of the thing. Guess I'm hard headed, frugal, whatever....

They're bound to be losing market share with such practices. The ruse being "it's the Covid thing ya know".

Last edited by Mixitt; 10-09-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Try a different dealer. There are plenty of 2021s available right now.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...83595&zc=78748
Most are 40i's. Am interested in a 30i. Thanks for the link. I've checked cars.com, Edmunds, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Not anymore. I'm working with 3 central Texas dealers on building a 30i and they, the dealer, aren't discounting but at the most $2,500 off MSRP. To add insult to injury BMW N.A. is NOT offering any discounts, not even the typical Loyalty discount. Only "incentives" is low % interest rates which I'm not interested in.

Allocations haven't been a problem according to the sales agents. There's few if any Z4's on the lots in Austin, Temple and San Antonio.

I have the money to pay cash, that's not the issue. It's the principle of the thing. Guess I'm hard headed, frugal, whatever....

They're bound to be losing market share with such practices. The ruse being "it's the Covid thing ya know".
It's the excuse of the year for everything "COVID"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
It's the excuse of the year for everything "COVID"
I hear ya, what a scam. There is no Covid excuse for not being staffed whether it be private businesses or the Govt. Wife listens to noise when dialing into the IRS for a group PIN # she's been trying to get straight for months. Trade stocks? Try getting a rep in less than 10 minutes hold time at Etrade, etc. etc.

You would think competition would take care of the "no deals" BWM situation.

I'd go straight to a Lexus or Audi if they had something similar to the Z4. Porsche is a rip off IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

BMW Makes these things to order

You wont find much inventory of Z4s at dealers and few discounts. The car is built for BMW by Magna in Austria so BMW doesn't need to fill up a plant with lots of demand to make money. They want to make a certain margin on every Z4 or they wont build it. The other thing is Magna can make only so many Z4s and the car was really successful in Europe so fewer come here. I doubt that BMW even ships many Z4s to the northern US in winter. They just wont build them now and wait for demand to come in spring. Each dealer by me has 1 in stock max.

Quote:
I hear ya, what a scam. There is no Covid excuse for not being staffed whether it be private businesses or the Govt. Wife listens to noise when dialing into the IRS for a group PIN # she's been trying to get straight for months. Trade stocks? Try getting a rep in less than 10 minutes hold time at Etrade, etc. etc.

You would think competition would take care of the "no deals" BWM situation.

I'd go straight to a Lexus or Audi if they had something similar to the Z4. Porsche is a rip off IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
You wont find much inventory of Z4s at dealers and few discounts. The car is built for BMW by Magna in Austria so BMW doesn't need to fill up a plant with lots of demand to make money. They want to make a certain margin on every Z4 or they wont build it. The other thing is Magna can make only so many Z4s and the car was really successful in Europe so fewer come here. I doubt that BMW even ships many Z4s to the northern US in winter. They just wont build them now and wait for demand to come in spring. Each dealer by me has 1 in stock max.
Thanks for the heads up. I get daily emails from cars.com and you're right they're not only very few but most are black which does not fare well in hot Texas.

I was/am hoping that lower demand going into winter might be in my favor. Will see.....

Couple of months ago a local dealer called me and said that a new build was soon arriving which met my specs regarding color and options. Offered $2,500 off MSRP. Maybe I should have taken it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #11
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

My deal

I bought mine via ED when the G29 first came out so I got the 6% discount off the base price. I tried to get the dealer to kick in some additional discount but I couldn't get much. I was targeting a 10% discount in total but I couldn't get there. None of my local dealers were willing to engage in a discount of more than $1500. Maybe you can do better on an in stock unit but I wanted mine exactly how I ordered it.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I get daily emails from cars.com and you're right they're not only very few but most are black which does not fare well in hot Texas.

I was/am hoping that lower demand going into winter might be in my favor. Will see.....

Couple of months ago a local dealer called me and said that a new build was soon arriving which met my specs regarding color and options. Offered $2,500 off MSRP. Maybe I should have taken it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I bought mine via ED when the G29 first came out so I got the 6% discount off the base price. I tried to get the dealer to kick in some additional discount but I couldn't get much. I was targeting a 10% discount in total but I couldn't get there. None of my local dealers were willing to engage in a discount of more than $1500. Maybe you can do better on an in stock unit but I wanted mine exactly how I ordered it.
I could do better with an in stock unit but there's only one around here and it's still a 70 minute drive. Doesn't meet my choices either. I built my X5 and got a lot of $ off on the deal in 2019.

Times have changed....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
jcard71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
I could do better with an in stock unit but there's only one around here and it's still a 70 minute drive. Doesn't meet my choices either. I built my X5 and got a lot of $ off on the deal in 2019.

Times have changed....

Come to NH, I put in my order last week! It's in the system.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #14
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard71 View Post
Come to NH, I put in my order last week! It's in the system.
That actually crossed my mind! Texas is along drive and I've got commitments that won't allow me to.

Good luck, I'm jealous!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Z4 Allocations

Quote:
I've run into the allocation issue recently with a request for quote from a dealership. The CA did a search and there were only 3 allocations for a Z4 sDrive30i nationwide! He did not have one and said he probably couldn't get me a deal because of the low allocations. He is noted for good internet pricing so that was a bit of a blow.

I've been thinking about it a while and I think I see the problem. North America is heading for winter and the Z4 is a soft-top! Not exactly a hot seller during the snowy months. The Southern Hemisphere (and BMW sells to a world market) is heading towards summer. Where would you allocate convertibles if you were in charge of sales? So I think the limited production of Z4s is headed south and we won't see many allocations in the States until spring-time.

Also, I'm not sure how the sales of the Supra are impacting BMW production allocations. If Supras are being ordered heavily I guess they would eat up spots on the assembly line. It's weird that BMW's Z4 sales could be reduced due to the success of the Supra, but it's a shared assembly line. I'd like to know how they negotiated who gets production slots - would be very interesting.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt368.50
      11-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Good take. I've given up worrying about it until spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
rkoblin
Kobe’s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 and 2021 Z4

I ordered a 21 40M in September. It is finally on the way to the states, hopefully have delivery mid December. There are very few in the states if any on the lots. My dealer in Augusta Georgia had one last month on the lot after I ordered mine as a dealer trade for an X7 for another customer. Not the color I wanted so did not even bring it up with the dealership. The idea of allotments is a misnomer. A car ordered that is marked as sold gets put to the head of the line. The factory in Austria has been dealing with government COVID response so production is slow.
On the positive side I did get to test drive it as I am not keen on ordering a car with out one. Well no buyers regrets at all. Able to get a 5% discount off of sticker, eligible for any incentives on delivery. Now there is a $750 loyalty credit, but a rounding error In The price of the car. I am a traditional Corvette fan but 12 months to get a car, forget that. The Z4 is quite nicer and more than enough power for me to get in to trouble. Own an X3 and an X1 so more than happy with the quality and service from BMW
Appreciate 1
Mixitt368.50
      11-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
badfitter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoblin View Post
I am a traditional Corvette fan but 12 months to get a car, forget that. The Z4 is quite nicer and more than enough power for me to get in to trouble.
The Vette was on my radar too but 4 months ago I was told it would be 18 months at best for delivery. No way. The Vette styling is a bit extreme for me... but I'm OK with the drug dealer look. The Z4 is right on the sweet spot of styling, looking more like an enthusiast car than a rap start car.

Performance??? Yes, more than enough power to get in trouble..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
estiffler3
Rep
Drives: BMW

I ordered my Z4 M40i in mid-October. Multiple dealers in FL would not deal at all. I ended up with $3k off MSRP. There is no allocation and no vehicles on the ground. I was told to expect delivery in Jan. 21 in best case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Able to get a 5% discount off of sticker, eligible for any incentives on delivery. Now there is a $750 loyalty credit, but a rounding error In The price of the car.
Rounding error? What does that mean. So there is a loyalty credit now?

Congratulations, enjoy your car. Just a thought if I ever get to order I'll be applying Gyeon ceramic coating to the seats and CQuartz UK 3.0 to the paint while brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #21
rkoblin
Kobe’s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 and 2021 Z4

Rounding Error

The dealer told me that there was a loyalty credit now for $750.00 USD. What I mean is a $70,000 car, $750.00 is not a deal breaker for me. It’s a $20.00 a month credit. Will not know the particulars till the car gets to the dealer, likely December, may be a new incentive then.
I did get shafted a little, there was a promotion to feed the hungry. Every test drive you took yielded a donation to the local food bank and a 1,000 dollar certificate off the price of the car. Small print had to be ordered after 11/15 and delivered by January. My Z4 was ordered the beginning of October. Oh well timing is every thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
Mixitt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The dealer told me that there was a loyalty credit now for $750.00 USD. What I mean is a $70,000 car, $750.00 is not a deal breaker for me.
Agree, $750 is not a deal breaker. I often witness daily market swings of $5,000 or so on my etrade account playing pump n dump stock swings so big deal. BUT, I'm the kinda guy that will spend $2.00 on gas to save $1.50 on a toy at Walmart.

Just pisses me off when I hear of folks that got $8,000 or so off after dealer discounts and incentives pre-Covid.

Good luck with your new ride!
Appreciate 0