BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Z4 confirmed for Pebble Beach reveal

06-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

BMW Z4 confirmed for Pebble Beach reveal

Quote:
BMW has confirmed that it will reveal the next Z4 at Pebble Beach in August before its specifications are announced at the Paris motor show the month after.

The upcoming Z4 model, which is expected to go on sale in March 2019, has been caught on camera testing for more than a year. The latest sighting showed the car wearing production-spec bodywork covered by light camouflage. It sits on smaller-diameter wheels than earlier spotted cars, suggesting it's a lower-spec model.

An earlier video (see below) showed the car cornering at pace. It was also wearing winglets on its nose, suggesting that BMW was assessing the car's performance when under load.

Powering the new Z4 will be a choice of BMW's latest turbocharged petrol engines. The Z4 sDrive30i will get a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder that produces about 248bhp, while more powerful variants will get a turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder unit that's shared with the M240i, producing about 350bhp.

Both engines will come with standard rear-wheel drive and a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox.

The Z4 shares parts with the upcoming Toyota Supra and is similarly expected to be offered with a hybrid drivetrain. Such a drivetrain would likely come with four-wheel drive.

BMW's decision to equip the Z4 with the same rear axle as the M3 and M4 suggests its hardware will be compatible with the 425bhp twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six-engine of those models or the 365bhp turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder powerplant from the M2, along with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

This car would be badged as an M model and therefore will get bespoke bodywork and a more focused chassis set-up.

BMW announced the future Z4's arrival back in 2015 and revealed a concept version to preview its design last year.

The car's relation to the Supra is part of Toyota and BMW's decision to co-develop a new sports car platform.

While the Z4 will be a convertible, Toyota's new car will be a spiritual successor to the original Supra and as such will wear a hard top, as shown by spotted development cars.

Inspiration for the new Supra's design has been taken from the striking FT-1 concept, first seen at the Detroit motor show in 2014.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-specs-details
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Then the M variant is getting either the S55 (likely) or the B58 (less likely), paired with a 6-speed manual. The 365hp N55 from the M2 has already been retired and replaced with a slightly de-tuned S55.

Question is... Will this M variant be available as a coupe?

Do we have a new M Coupe on the way??? The Supra is only coming with an autobox. Can a new M Coupe be on the way with a manual transmission?

Yes, please!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
The Supra is only coming with an autobox.
At first yes, but insider A70TTR did hint that a manual transmission could become available two years after the initial lunch.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Then the M variant is getting either the S55 (likely) or the B58 (less likely), paired with a 6-speed manual. The 365hp N55 from the M2 has already been retired and replaced with a slightly de-tuned S55.

Question is... Will this M variant be available as a coupe?

Do we have a new M Coupe on the way??? The Supra is only coming with an autobox. Can a new M Coupe be on the way with a manual transmission?

Yes, please!
No, from everything I have seen and read, M40 will be B58 with 8 spd ZF automatic, and there is no BMW coupe version, only drop top. If you want the coupe, it will be a Toyota. Who knows about DCT or MT in the future - pure speculation at this point, however MT is extremely unlikely. There's a better chance we might see a DCT in a true M version if one is ever produced. That said, M5 is now ZF 8 spd and most expect it in the next M3/M4 too, especially if xDrive.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
If no manual now or in the future for the G29 I will be keeping my E89 forever and next car I buy will be a return to 911 or maybe a boxster.
Appreciate 0