BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rubber Tires — A Dirty Business

07-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #23
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Now that is some balanced logical thinking there, Francis - if it isn't fair, you either have to agree 100% or totally boycot it all. That actually sounds just like the naive and uninformed kids shouting at reporters from the college lawn. But I'm too busy bewetting to really get out much and see the big picture as clearly as you do.....
I apologize, as I am frustrated by the level of just what I described...
Civil Illiteracy. I used to deal in Commodities before settling in to my later years in something I enjoy much more. Just so happens I spend about $60k each year alone on tires. 25% of that is for virgin tires while the remainder is for recapped.
If you know ANYTHING at all about Cambodia, China, Southern America, you wouldn't find the living conditions of those they showed in the video alarming.
More than 50% of the population live like that. If you're not thankful for what you have think hard about how these people live.
Rubber harvesting in the 1700's to 1800's up through the boom in the 1900's incorporated absolute slavery in it's production. People were gathered up and forced into labor camps. They were rewarded with torture, rape, death.
To compare today to then is so very wrong, and so very ignorant.
Those people without an education or skill can't remain hunter-gatherers in today's society, and rubber plantations, gold mines, precious metal mining sustain a lifestyle that they appreciate, because there is nothing better by comparison. It's a better standard of living than they could manage without those jobs.
For ANYONE to show disdain on a website such as this and think they have done anything of any value on behalf of these workers is pathetic in my view.
Virtue Signaling is one of the ugliest side effects of Social Media. In the end, you scoff at one another and log off feeling you've accomplished.....
What exactly???
As you learn more about the world, there will be many aspects of your cushy life brought to you by people from 3rd world countries. The last thing they would want you to do is stop using what they produce to live the life they have. I won't go into Nike, or Apple products.
Here are some other jarring revelations for you to think about:
Bruce Jenner is not now a woman
Rachel Dolezal is not black
Liz Warren is not Native American
OJ Simpson is a murderer
Michael Moore is a Capitalist
Al Gore is not a Scientist

That's a lot to absorb... I'll stop there
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #24
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you