BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum New BMW Z40i preproduction first drive reviews

06-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #45
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

That's gotta be a light cf roof. Both M Coupes and the Cayman are slightly heavier than their soft top brethren. 100 pounds seems like a stretch, 200 plus seems like an amazing achievement.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #46
salvs22
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport

Sounds a lot like an N55 engine, maybe it's the B58 but with twin turbos?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvs22 View Post
Do you mean N54? The N55 is the same single turbo setup as the B58.

Or S55, also a twin turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #48
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Lol you called it 'Z40i' on the main page like the journalist did in the video
I didn't make the thread..I just posted the video as an answer to another thread and someone edited it and made a separate thread with the video and more info
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #49
salvs22
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvs22 View Post
Do you mean N54? The N55 is the same single turbo setup as the B58.

Or S55, also a twin turbo.
N54 is more raspy, that vid sounded like how my N55 does. But the description said its twin turbo so maybe they made a variation of B58 since B58 and N55 sound nearly identical
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      06-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #50
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2019 Bmw Z4 M40i Prototype Review: Bmw Breathes Life Into A Forgotten Droptop

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-...totype-review/

Quote:
We get a behind-the-scenes drive of a near-production prototype and come away impressed

On a postcard-perfect day in the Provence region of France, we agree to keep our phones tucked away in our bags. In a convoy, we pass through the security gate of the former Michelin, now BMW proving ground in Miramas and wind our way to a garage on the other side of the enormous facility. Our hosts are a small handful of immensely friendly, obviously proud, and enthusiastic engineers responsible for bringing the BMW Z4 convertible back to our roads next spring. They’ve been at it for five years—or three years before the last Z4 disappeared from our showrooms after the 2016 model year. Why? BMW’s not-so-secret arrangement with Toyota to co-develop a coupe-only Suprasports car in exchange for valuable, forward-thinking battery and hybrid technology was too good to pass up.

Impressions of Scale

Feeling a bit like stowaways or spies, we catch our first glimpse of a pair of near-production-spec Z4s in full camo—including black interior shrouds. Having only seen the same spy photos as you, we were rather giddy at the prospect of meeting them in the metal—and they are noticeably larger than the previous-gen hardtop convertibles. Impressions were confirmed as the car’s project manager, Andreas Ederer, shared some key specifications with us. The new Z4 will sport a soft top instead of a hard-panel convertible top that eats space when stowed. Compared to its predecessor, trunk space grows from 8 cubic feet (only with the top up) to a generous 9.4 cubes regardless. Also, the new Z4’s wheelbase is 1.1 inches tighter; however, the front track has been widened by 3.6 inches, the rear by 2.2 inches. In terms of dimensions, the new car is 3.2 inches longer, 2.8 wider, and 0.5 taller. It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s quite noticeable. For perspective, the 2019 Z4 is nearly the size of a current-model Mercedes-Benz SL-Class(except in length and wheelbase), but it’s much larger than the SLC-Class.

Some Hardware

Finally, I hop into the Z4 test car. I could see that the car was close to production ready. The black-and-white camo wrap didn’t cover the door jambs, and the blue paint I saw there looked flawless. Some plastic surfaces still lacked graining, but the steering wheel, shifter, a new digital instrument panel, next-gen iDrive controller/touchscreen display, and center console (what I could see of it) were fully functional and seemed to be finished. Similar to the 3.0-liter twin-scroll single-turbo B58 I-6 in the M240i (335 hp/369 lb-ft), the B58 in our Z4 M40i is torque-rich and more than powerful enough to propel the Z4. However, we were shocked to learn that this version of the B58 in the new Z4 makes nearly 50 horsepower more, at 382 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque in U.S. spec. European cars will be downrated to 335 hp due to new particulate filters on “petrol” cars. Reportedly weighing just under 3,400 pounds, or nearly 100 fewer than the 2011 Z4 sDrive35is we last tested, the new Z4 should feel lighter on its toes. It was also heartening to learn that this Z4 routes power through a BMW-tuned ZF eight-speed automatic before it reaches the standard electronic M differential. It’s like the front third of a hopped-up M2 and the rear two-thirds of a current M5, if you think about it. With 255mm front and 275mm rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports beneath it all, good tidings were afoot.

Track Time Revelations

In Sport mode with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) engaged, we set out on the chase again. For the first time since I’d arrived, I felt like I had a fighting chance against Fast Florian. It only took one blast down the straight and two corners to realize that the Z4 M40i is a genuine sports car. Its rorty exhaust note sounds better than that of an M240i but not as racy as an M2’s. I could sense the stiffness of the chassis, the weight being low and chuckable. The multimode dampers handled the rapid changes in direction, and the EPS steering was responsive and precise. I didn’t detect any of the BMW Active steering gremlins that make it difficult to predict steering input on corner entry/exit where the ratios change with vehicle speed. The balance is neutral but leans toward oversteer with an aggressive throttle. Also, the way the Z4 puts power down, especially on corner exits, was clearly due to the excellent tuning of the differential. (Later, Florian rode beside me with a laptop he used to tweak the differential’s settings. With the differential in “open” mode, the unloaded inside wheel would spin, causing chassis twitches that needed a dab of oppo to correct. This made it difficult to sustain a quick pace around the circuit. There were dramatic advantages with the stock Sport setting.)

In Sport drive, the transmission felt responsive, too, though not as much as some cars with the same ZF hardware and certainly not to the degree of an M5 in its most aggressive setting. There might be some more software tuning left in the Z4’s autobox, but to really keep up, I had to shift manually, either with the paddles or by knocking the stubby shifter. The large steel brakes never faded, and the firm pedal familiar to BMW faithful never went soft. As with the best sports cars, it was easy to find the ABS at the far end of the pedal’s travel and back off slightly to maintain full control. After I parked the Z4, I mused to our hosts, “Compared with either the M240i or even the M2, I wasn’t working nearly as hard to keep up. Did you slow down, or was the Z4 really that much better?” One of the BMW reps confessed in a hushed tone, “The Z4 is actually quicker around here than the M2.” OK, mind blown. I wasn’t expecting that. If the Z4’s reported weight and power specs bear out and genuinely compute to 8.9 pounds per horsepower, then it does have an advantage over the M2’s 9.6 lb/hp figure. Suffice to say that when properly equipped (and driven), the forthcoming 2019 Z4 M40i will be a worthy adversary to the Audi TT RS, Porsche 718 Boxster S, and Mercedes-AMG SLC 43 with a similar mid- to upper $60K price tag. Did you see that coming?

The Road Drive

As if the track drive weren’t reason enough to be convinced of the Z4 M40i’s abilities, our hosts had also carved out an hour’s drive on public roads. For this portion of our program, I sampled Comfort mode, which was too soft for track duty. With the exhaust muted and the top down, it was truly comforting to motor around the French countryside and easy to carry on an in-depth conversation with BMW’s vice president of customer orientation, driving dynamics, press support (and driving instructor for internal BMW certification), Jos van As. It was encouraging—and only a little surprising—to learn that Jos is a huge fan of the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R and is intent on finding a way to import one to Germany. These BMW Dynamics guys are real car guys. The bumpy-road portion he had selected was smoothed out by the Z4’s needle-valve adjustable dampers. Having spent an entire year in a long-term 2017 BMW M2 with fixed/firm springs and shocks, I truly appreciated the Z4’s Comfort mode. There were several occasions to pass slower traffic (which we did with ease), plenty of hairpins and city streets, even a short blast of highway. The Z4 felt immensely competent and controlled throughout. Its bandwidth is exceptional thanks, in large part, to the cohesive tuning of all the various parts and within their respective and distinct modes. BMW got it right.

The First (Real) Look

Before we left, a final, especially jolly host, Albert Maier (driving dynamics), had one more reveal for us: two undisguised Z4s, one in deep red paint on a lift and one bedecked in a matte silver paint job. We soon learned why the car felt so stiff. There are multiple braces and an integral aluminum (not plastic) belly pan at the front of the car that not only delivers good aero but is securely bolted in such a way as to also add actual structure and rigidity. Does the car look like the BMW Z4 concept revealed at Pebble Beach? Sadly, no. Imagine that car but with most of the dramatic edginess removed, almost certainly due to production/stamping realities. The front fascia lacks the concept’s pronounced cheeks and deep cooling ducts. The doors are less sculptural, but the rear comes closest to the concept with narrow LED taillamps and the horizontal gesture. Also, what contours remain on the production car largely get lost in glossy paint. Like the concept, the matte paint does a far better job of showing off the car’s sculpture and shadows, and BMW told us it will be available for about triple the cost of a metallic color. Ouch. The concept’s old-school double-cowl treatment behind the headrests is replaced with more common roll hoops and a flat deck. Inside, there’s no two-tone interior treatment, and the steering wheel is humbler, but the rest of the center stack/console remains.

The End and a Beginning

As the eager Z4 team probed us for our opinions at the conclusion of this exclusive event, it became clear that we had very little criticism regarding the 2019 BMW Z4 M40i. “The concept looked edgier, but the way it drives? I don’t think I’d change a thing. Maybe the shift speed in Sport mode could be sharpened up a bit?” Not satisfied to present a mere incremental successor to the Z4, this team has produced a car that will be reviewed as a sports car among the very best in its segment. As with other recent BMW releases and rereleases, it appears that BMW has gotten its groove back. We couldn’t be happier for them—and for us. Thank you, BMW, for the opportunity and for the surprises along the way.

2019 BMW Z4 M40i SPECS

PRICE $65,000 (est)
LAYOUT Front-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door convertible
ENGINE 3.0L/382-hp/369-lb-ft turbo DOHC 24-valve I-6
TRANSMISSION 8-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT 3,400 lb (mfr)
WHEELBASE 97.2 in
LxWxH 170.1 x 73.3 x 51.3 in
0-60 MPH 4.0 sec (MT est)
EPA ECON 21/31/25 mpg (MT est)
ON SALE April 2019
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #51
saifmassoud
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

We drive the new BMW Z4 in prototype form and find that it is already a marked improvement over its predecessor

Verdict

In short the new BMW Z4 goes hard, makes a better noise than a flat four Porsche 718 Boxster, is much more entertaining in its handling, steering and body control than before while maintaining a genuinely decent ride quality. And, to these eyes, it looks the business as well. A credible rival for the Boxster? Oh yes

Verdict
In short the new BMW Z4 goes hard, makes a better noise than a flat four Porsche 718 Boxster, is much more entertaining in its handling, steering and body control than before while maintaining a genuinely decent ride quality. And, to these eyes, it looks the business as well. A credible rival for the Boxster? Oh yes
BMW has an unusually candid way of describing the key difference between the old Z4, and the new. The old car, they now admit, was one to drive on a Sunday afternoon, maybe when the sun was shining – because it wasn’t really a true-blue sports car.

But the new Z4 – which we drive here in Z40i prototype form – is a car to drive early on a Sunday morning, they say, before the sun has come up and when there’s no one else around, the inference being that the old car was a bit of a softie at heart whereas this new one has become a proper, red-blooded driver’s car.

And do you know what? They’re not fibbing. Having driven this all-but production-ready Z40i prototype on both road and track, with its new lightweight electric canvas hood up and down, and at all sorts of different speeds it is abundantly clear that, this time, the Z4 has got serious.

This time it really has become a proper sports car, with a much stiffer chassis, much sweeter steering, stronger performance from its 340bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo engine (think 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds) and a level of feel and precision to its chassis that absolutely wasn’t there last time round.

And there’s one very simple reason why BMW has altered the Z4’s personality so drastically; the unceasing success of the Porsche 718 Boxster.

BMW wants a piece of the Boxster’s action, basically, having seen sales of the Z4 drop by almost 30 per cent since its birth in 2002; and the only way to achieve this is to build a car that’s at least as compelling to drive as the Porsche. Hence the far more thrusting dynamics of the new Z4.

You can’t see what it looks like here, not from these disguised images. But, trust us, we’ve seen the production car undisguised now and it looks pretty tasty, even though it doesn’t feature the twin buttresses of the Z4 Concept car that was shown at Pebble Beach last summer. Despite this, however, it is much more aggressively styled than the previous Z4, and much better looking as a result.

“In every way the new Z4 is a more masculine car than its predecessor, a more dynamic car” says Andreas Ederer, Product Manager for the new Z4. “Not just to look at but to drive, to listen to, in everything it does. But this doesn’t mean its appeal will be narrower” says Ederer, admitting that – Boxster apart – sales in this sector have fallen by over 30 per cent since it was created two decades ago.

Whatever the market’s trend, BMW has thrown the kitchen sink at the new Z4’s dynamics. The Z40i driven here gets adaptive dampers, an electronically managed differential and bespoke Michelin Pilot Supersport tyres as standard, and the results are clear to see from behind the wheel.

Weight is down by 50kg, partly because the new canvass roof – which raises in just 10 seconds – is lighter but also because the underpinnings are lighter, too. The boot is also over 70 litres bigger this time thanks to the canvass roof, up or down; it makes no difference to the space on offer. But it’s the extra dynamic agility of the new Z4 that distinguishes it most clearly.

Key specs
Model: BMW Z40i
Price: £37,500 (est)
Engine: 3.0-litre straight six, twin-turbo, petrol
Power/torque: 340bhp/500Nm
Transmission: 8-speed automatic
0-62mph: 4.5 seconds (est)
Top speed: 155mph (limited)
Economy/CO2: N/A
On sale: March 2019

While this new 3rd generation Z4 will be much better than (2003-2008) generation, and leaps beyond the (2009-2017) generation, unfortunately, it will not match the 718 Boxster for the following reasons.

1. The Boxster has been refined for over 20 years. Its latest generation is so good that it really rivals the 911 in terms of driving enjoyment, thrill and excitement. I will even dare to say its ride handling is even better than the 911, no small feet of accomplishment.

I have owned both the Z3, and both Z4s. You only need 5 minutes with Boxster 718 to understand that it is in a league of its own, and this brings me to the second and most important reason why this new Z4 will not match the mighty Boxster...

2. Physics, that's right. the FRONT ENGINE Z4 (nor any other front engine car for that matter) will NEVER match the mid engine balance, driving characteristics, driving dynamics and handling of a mid engine car, period. You can not go against physics.

You can cram all the latest technology, features, and power but at the end you simply can not replicate the mid engine experience of the 718.

Further, I suspect this car will start somewhere in the 50K range and with few options here and there you are not that far away from 718 territory, sorry BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #52
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifmassoud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

We drive the new BMW Z4 in prototype form and find that it is already a marked improvement over its predecessor

Verdict

Verdict
BMW has an unusually candid way of describing the key difference between the old Z4, and the new. The old car, they now admit, was one to drive on a Sunday afternoon, maybe when the sun was shining – because it wasn’t really a true-blue sports car.

But the new Z4 – which we drive here in Z40i prototype form – is a car to drive early on a Sunday morning, they say, before the sun has come up and when there’s no one else around, the inference being that the old car was a bit of a softie at heart whereas this new one has become a proper, red-blooded driver’s car.

And do you know what? They’re not fibbing. Having driven this all-but production-ready Z40i prototype on both road and track, with its new lightweight electric canvas hood up and down, and at all sorts of different speeds it is abundantly clear that, this time, the Z4 has got serious.

This time it really has become a proper sports car, with a much stiffer chassis, much sweeter steering, stronger performance from its 340bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo engine (think 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds) and a level of feel and precision to its chassis that absolutely wasn’t there last time round.

And there’s one very simple reason why BMW has altered the Z4’s personality so drastically; the unceasing success of the Porsche 718 Boxster.

BMW wants a piece of the Boxster’s action, basically, having seen sales of the Z4 drop by almost 30 per cent since its birth in 2002; and the only way to achieve this is to build a car that’s at least as compelling to drive as the Porsche. Hence the far more thrusting dynamics of the new Z4.

You can’t see what it looks like here, not from these disguised images. But, trust us, we’ve seen the production car undisguised now and it looks pretty tasty, even though it doesn’t feature the twin buttresses of the Z4 Concept car that was shown at Pebble Beach last summer. Despite this, however, it is much more aggressively styled than the previous Z4, and much better looking as a result.

“In every way the new Z4 is a more masculine car than its predecessor, a more dynamic car” says Andreas Ederer, Product Manager for the new Z4. “Not just to look at but to drive, to listen to, in everything it does. But this doesn’t mean its appeal will be narrower” says Ederer, admitting that – Boxster apart – sales in this sector have fallen by over 30 per cent since it was created two decades ago.

Whatever the market’s trend, BMW has thrown the kitchen sink at the new Z4’s dynamics. The Z40i driven here gets adaptive dampers, an electronically managed differential and bespoke Michelin Pilot Supersport tyres as standard, and the results are clear to see from behind the wheel.

Weight is down by 50kg, partly because the new canvass roof – which raises in just 10 seconds – is lighter but also because the underpinnings are lighter, too. The boot is also over 70 litres bigger this time thanks to the canvass roof, up or down; it makes no difference to the space on offer. But it’s the extra dynamic agility of the new Z4 that distinguishes it most clearly.

Key specs
Model: BMW Z40i
Price: £37,500 (est)
Engine: 3.0-litre straight six, twin-turbo, petrol
Power/torque: 340bhp/500Nm
Transmission: 8-speed automatic
0-62mph: 4.5 seconds (est)
Top speed: 155mph (limited)
Economy/CO2: N/A
On sale: March 2019

While this new 3rd generation Z4 will be much better than (2003-2008) generation, and leaps beyond the (2009-2017) generation, unfortunately, it will not match the 718 Boxster for the following reasons.

1. The Boxster has been refined for over 20 years. Its latest generation is so good that it really rivals the 911 in terms of driving enjoyment, thrill and excitement. I will even dare to say its ride handling is even better than the 911, no small feet of accomplishment.

I have owned both the Z3, and both Z4s. You only need 5 minutes with Boxster 718 to understand that it is in a league of its own, and this brings me to the second and most important reason why this new Z4 will not match the mighty Boxster...

2. Physics, that's right. the FRONT ENGINE Z4 (nor any other front engine car for that matter) will NEVER match the mid engine balance, driving characteristics, driving dynamics and handling of a mid engine car, period. You can not go against physics.

You can cram all the latest technology, features, and power but at the end you simply can not replicate the mid engine experience of the 718.

Further, I suspect this car will start somewhere in the 50K range and with few options here and there you are not that far away from 718 territory, sorry BMW.
I agree, the Porsche is the more sporty car. I think most will agree with this. But, for 95% of the roadster market, the BMW will do fine. The E89 was to soft, if it is Close to the E85, this new Z will be a great roadster on it's own
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I certainly think there's room for a Z4 and a Boxster to both have sales while being slightly different cars. The Z4 should be a little softer, but still plenty sporty. Better than the TT and SLC, but not quite Boxster levels of feedback or outright sportiness. Should be a relatively easy sell if they get it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #54
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Also Autobild is reporting a different weight for the Z4. If true, weight differences would be 235lbs.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-z...t-5257988.html
Manufacturers has a way of misrepresenting the numbers in these presentations. I'll bet the weight quoted is for the base Z4sDrive3.0i (which has a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter engine). The weight difference between the Supra (3,050) and the base Z4sDrive3.0i (3,285) would still be consistent with a 50kg (110 lbs) weight loss from an E89 base Z4. The curb weight of the Z4sDrive3.5i is 3,5xx lbs, tack on about 150 lbs for the 2 extra cylinders.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #55
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Very promising. Can't wait to see it in full prod form
      06-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #56
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      06-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #57
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
That's gotta be a light cf roof. Both M Coupes and the Cayman are slightly heavier than their soft top brethren. 100 pounds seems like a stretch, 200 plus seems like an amazing achievement.

well it doesn't say what versions we are comparing.

if the z4 m40i is 3300 lbs and the supra the B48 2.0 t version is 3100lbs, that would be 200 lbs and be believable
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #58
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sounds like they will show the M40i in August, then the 4-cylinders.

Then the "possible" M Roadster should have its own presentation later next year, and it better be at Lake Como!

Two people that drove the cars at Miramas have somewhat said the M Roadster is coming back.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

it's very amusing to see journalistic ebonics and street slang in attempt to add some street cred...

Review by Autoexpress (Steve Sutcliffe

in short the new BMW Z4 goes hard

Review by Car and Driver.

The death of some cars has us in full mourning regalia and delivering teary eulogies, sometimes even pouring liquor onto a curb ...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #60
SQQDQQ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

I didn't even consider Z4 when I thought about getting a boxster recently. In my opinion, roadster is more of a porsche thing rather than a BMW thing. Boxster/cayman with its mid engine has been successful for too long and there is long way for Z4 to go in order to be equally competitive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Quote:

well it doesn't say what versions we are comparing.

if the z4 m40i is 3300 lbs and the supra the B48 2.0 t version is 3100lbs, that would be 200 lbs and be believable
Yeah, it's possible. But we keep seeing 3,400 for the Z4 and 3,050 for the Supra. The E89 only had a delta of 230 pounds between the N20 and the N54. For reference the B48 is heavier than the N20 and the B58 is lighter than the N54. Some of the weight difference of the Z4 models was also from things that likely won't fly with the Supra, like smaller brakes, smaller wheels, etc that the 4 banger Supra likely won't compromise.

I remain skeptical that any Supra will be under 3,150 or so and that the US version will be meaningfully under 3,300 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #62
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

While I do understand the benefits of the soft top, I can't stand that tent in top of the car. Is really ugly and can't believe that 100 years later we have a similar black, ugly cloth on top.
I rather loose some agility and get the hard top.
No, it will never be as quiet as hard top, nor that good looking, nor that safe, and not a good antitheft either; one nice knife will get you in. It will not keep the temperature properly, it will not be that tight either, and so on...

Obviously is seasonal toy and stops there.
A hard top will give the car a wider spectrum and a larger clientele.

Not the least, the prototype was awesome. Unique. Even the two different colors for the seats to match the half/half cockpit got me really excited.
From what I see, we are back in square one with one vertical wall in the back, a wind deflector and just some new seats. So much about the prototype...
We can do it but we don't want to... Ok, keep it.
next please...

Last edited by Teutonic; 06-12-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #63
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
it's very amusing to see journalistic ebonics and street slang in attempt to add some street cred...

Review by Autoexpress (Steve Sutcliffe

in short the new BMW Z4 goes hard

Review by Car and Driver.

The death of some cars has us in full mourning regalia and delivering teary eulogies, sometimes even pouring liquor onto a curb ...
Pop culture, hip hop and auto journalism crossing paths. Just like it did when rock jazz, funk and old school R&B reigned supreme.

I believe many a BMW enthusiast are still pouring one out in mourning of high revving NA engines, especially I6s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmztCakVdvE
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:47 AM   #64
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

If BMW really wanted a compelling direct competition with the Boxster, they would've pushed to do a rear, mid-engine Z4. The Z4 is a good substitute, but hardly a replacement for the Boxster
      06-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #65
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

Fat pig, satellite dish steering wheel.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #66
iwant335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
How are you sure a 718 will “sweep the floor with”?

One thing is for sure it doesnt sound like complete ass, like the 718.
Exactly, Porsche looks awfull and the sound is terrible.
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00