DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
5 day report

I've had the Z4 since last Saturday and though I took an M40i for an extended test drive before ordering, you do get a better sense of the car after a few days so....

- I still love the way the car looks.....I simply don't understand any negative comments regarding the G29's styling - I think it's bold, fresh and has excellent proportions.....love the low and wide stance. Obviously this sort of thing is subjective but I think the car looks amazing and much better than most ofl it's competitors; the SLC, TT....the F type is also very beautiful as is the Boxster but I think the G29 holds it's own.

- The engine is really the shining star here IMO. It's strong and sounds great. Keep in mind that I'm coming from a 500+hp F type V8 but this thing is fast.....much quicker than I expected (I suppose the results of the Z4 dyno are a big part of that - real hp appears to be over 400hp crank and since the car is 400+ lbs lighter than my Jag.....) I also love the sound; it sounds great, even in comfort and at low throttle positions.....everyone raves about the F type's sound but I found it too subdued unless your in Dynamic and WOT at which point it was producing noise at an obnoxious level.

- handling/steering; yeah, yeah, the Boxster has an advantage here.....but it isn't as big a difference as I thought it would be (or I haven't pushed either car hard enough to tell)...either way, I'm impressed by the steering, handling and outright grip. The excellent Michelin Pilot Super Sports undoubtably play a roll but wow.

- The car is extremely comfortable; both my wife and I found the seats to be excellent and there is more front to back space than the Jag or her SLK.

- Bad stuff? pretty minor; the cup holders aren't the best and the door pockets are small enough to be fairly useless.....but on the flip side, the little shelf with the mesh behind the seats is very useful. the wheels are gorgeous.....and also a PITA to clean! Small potatoes in the big scheme of things.

Overall, I'd have to say we're both very impressed. I'll push the car harder once the break in has been completed but I think I've driven it enough to be confident that we chose the right car.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 9
Jim S385.00
gblansten1913.00
CeEl477.50
clee1982796.00
mjohanc14.50
joca107.50
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      06-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Yes Dave, pretty much agree with you regarding the comfort and styling. Just got mine run-in and boy does it lift its legs when you push down hard on that loud pedal. Just need to watch out or I will be getting into trouble with the law.
Enjoy your new motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Thanks Jim; I really enjoyed your report post as well (more detailed and better written than my little update).

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
PrionFawkes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
...I simply don't understand any negative comments regarding the G29's styling
I believe the vast majority of people with negative comments (they are entitled to their opinion) have not seen the car in person. Photos do not do the car any favors, and it must be seen in person to fully appreciate it's design.

There's also a contingent of diehard BMW enthusiasts that refuse to accept the new headlight configuration and the 'mesh' effect to the elongated grilles.

I was on the phone with BMW Genius earlier, getting the name of the ship my car was loaded aboard on Tuesday, and the agent on the phone got very excited when he saw what car I had ordered.

Apparently they had parked the exact same configuration in their lobby overnight, and everyone was talking about it this morning after passing it on their way in. He said he had to stop and do a full walk around, because he couldn't believe how much better it looked in person. He said it looked "mean", and very attention grabbing in the Misano Blue.

For all I know, he could have been trained to bring up such things when customers call in; but it felt genuine to me.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
You're too modest Dave, your report reads well.

By the way, in my "first impressions" post I said that the problem with stones was in the rear brakes. Turns out that it is the front brakes that are much more likely to trap stones.
The first stone had come out just before getting to the dealer. Hard to tell from inside the car if it is front or rear. So far so good, no more occurrences...... yet!!!

Happy motoring, and watch out for those stones (rocks).
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      06-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Great write-up! I fully agree with your comments re: styling / design (stunning!!!) and engine / power delivery (amazing!). The soundtrack is fantastic: in Sport Plus I hear "gunshots" on downshift and massive burble - if I want to, because in Comfort it becomes a cruiser.

Cup holders: useless, but remember: in Germany nobody drinks or eats in their cars!

Seats: super comfortable.

My only complaint are iDrive 7 shortcomings, i.e. CarPlay, Connected Drive and such.

Otherwise: the best and most fun car I have ever owned (coming from a M235).
      06-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
You're too modest Dave, your report reads well.

By the way, in my "first impressions" post I said that the problem with stones was in the rear brakes. Turns out that it is the front brakes that are much more likely to trap stones.
The first stone had come out just before getting to the dealer. Hard to tell from inside the car if it is front or rear. So far so good, no more occurrences...... yet!!!

Happy motoring, and watch out for those stones (rocks).

Thanks. Funny thing; the first day we had the car we got routed through a construction zone (gravel) which had me cringing.....then when we got to the winery for dinner, there was a wedding and the only place to park was in a gravel lot! ....I figured the world was out to get me for trying to enjoy the new purchase but luckily I didn't have any issues....keeping my fingers crossed.

Dave
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

My only complaint are iDrive 7 shortcomings, i.e. CarPlay, Connected Drive and such.

Otherwise: the best and most fun car I have ever owned (coming from a M235).

luckily (?) I'm "technology challenged" so I probably won't recognize any shortcomings on the electronic gizmos if/when I do encounter them!

I said to my wife that this car was the best car I've ever owned.....and I meant it.

Dave
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      06-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
I believe the vast majority of people with negative comments (they are entitled to their opinion) have not seen the car in person. Photos do not do the car any favors, and it must be seen in person to fully appreciate it's design.

There's also a contingent of diehard BMW enthusiasts that refuse to accept the new headlight configuration and the 'mesh' effect to the elongated grilles.
Agreed, I also think there is a few owners of prior generations of Z4's that are in the vocal minority due to the fairly substantial differences between the styling and design of the G29 compared to the E85/86 and E89. The same may apply to some owners of other, more traditionally styled, BMW products.....

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

Glad to see the positive reviews from new owners. They give me confidence about my decision having ordered a M40i myself (Misano with Cognac) and I will look forward to taking delivery sometime toward the end of July / early August. It's been manufactured and is waiting for a ride to Bremerhaven. I wish they'd pick it up soon! But thanks for the owner reviews! Fun to read.
Appreciate 1