BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Yet another parking rant...

07-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I wish lots would give up with the 'compact' car spaces. Everyone seems to think they're in a compact if they fit ON the lines on either side. And of course actual compact drivers feel free to park in the larger spaces.

I notice this most in the gym parking structure where everyone wants to park as close to the entrance as possible, so they don't exhaust themselves walking before they make it inside.

So yeah, like someone above wrote, park within the lines. asshat ;-)

Oh and as an X1 driver let me tell the X3 and X5 drivers who go to my gym - those aren't compacts....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
I scanned the parking lot and the next best car after yours is his Caddy. So I assume he didn't feel safe parking with the rest and thought he should park net to you lol.
      07-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #25
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZHammer View Post
So, I attended a charity/memorial golf tournament this past weekend, at a fairly reputable course. The weather was nice and the drive to the course was over an hour from my house, so I took the MR. I got to the course nice and early and parked the car in the absolute furthest parking spot in the entire lot, which also had a median on one side. I took care to park extremely close to the median, to allow for extra room on the side that my car would share with another vehicle. I grabbed my gear and went to check-in for the tourney, then returned less than 15 minutes later, to drop back off the welcome gift-bag, I had been given. This is what I was greeted with:

Let me be clear, there was still lots of space between the cars and no damage was done, but I just don't understand the choice, when the rest of the lot looks like this:

/rant
You are not alone.
No matter how far I park, someone somewhere will be there to sink my heart.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756490
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Love it when I go shopping, park in the far empty part of the lot, square in the middle of a space, come back out and find a car parked next to mine so close I can barely get my door open.

There is definitely an irrational hate for folks who take the extra step for their cars. Or maybe it's just BMWs, I don't recall having this issue with my other cars.
      07-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I know, it's a bit odd. It's not like you are taking up two spaces, like a douche. In fact, by parking far away or close to a curb, you are actually respecting others' vehicles and/or space, while hopefully protecting your own at the same time. I am not a car-crazed maniac (close, but not quite there yet....), but I think it really just boils down to courtesy, which seems to be lacking more and more in today's world unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #28
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

The guy was obviously trying to absorb the "Chi" from your car man. People wih ugly cars like to park near nice ones so they can feel special too. lol
      07-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

This thread is making me remember all the shenanigans I see in the local Whole Foods Parking lot... I will never, ever, park there.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #30
Beemn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

In the late 80's I had a Limited Edition 76' Tran Am, think Smokey and the Bandit, with less than 20k miles on it and in absolutely gorgeous condition. Took my soon to be wife to a movie, dropped her off at the door and parked at the far end of the lot against a fence. We get out of the show and some perfect citizen parked so close I couldn't open the drivers door, there were no other cars parked within 3 lanes of here. Back then I still had anger issues from Vietnam and all I can say is when I left that car was unmoveable.

Now I'm more mellow and would probably leave at least one tire inflated.

As far as the OP, lately, I find, people are so busy in their lives they are just not paying attention to things like common courtesy. The Caddy driver probably wasn't even aware that he was over the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I always park in the furthest spot I can find. Granted the paint on my 128 isn't perfect, but its a habit. I'd rather park far, get some exercise, and hope others are fat enough to desperately search for an "up front" spot. I wouldn't be agitated with the CTS owner, had he parked inside the lines, even though theres clearly enough space in between. Its just being considerate, even if they thought it was "safer" to park next to your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I share you're perspective. I think that a growing percentage of our fellow Americans are lazy, careless, sloppy slobs. And their behavior when parking and throwing the door open reflects that. I recently got a door ding on my 2013 M5. I take as much care as you.

The car that did it was still next to mine when I got back. I thought about kicking a giant dent into his/her door, but decided not to in case he figures it out and retaliates against the next blue M5 he sees. That was the only thing that held me back. I don't think the police give a damn if you vandalize someone else's car in a public lot with no CCTV.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #33
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

I get it all the time, I go out of my way to park away from everybody and I come back there's a car next to me with plenty of space available. The driver is just A hole, it's not that hard to place the car between 2 white parallel line. I feel you op.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
The guy was obviously trying to absorb the "Chi" from your car man. People wih ugly cars like to park near nice ones so they can feel special too. lol

it's annoying, can all drivers agree to park within their space? I don't care if you wanna buddy up with me in the Timbuktu area of the parking lot but at least park correctly

nowadays I just park wherever I think is reasonable and not being crowded upon by another car..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #35
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Love it when I go shopping, park in the far empty part of the lot, square in the middle of a space, come back out and find a car parked next to mine so close I can barely get my door open.

There is definitely an irrational hate for folks who take the extra step for their cars. Or maybe it's just BMWs, I don't recall having this issue with my other cars.
Ugg, I hate when people park next to me. In certain circumstances anyway, but bear with me, I'm only being a bit anal retentive.

At my office, most fellow car enthusiasts will park in the very back of the lot as far away from other cars as possible. Everyone who parks back there always leaves one space in-between cars, and we all know why that is. It's nothing "official", there's just an unspoken rule.

But every once in a while someone (who normally doesn't park there) will park right next to me even when there's plenty of extra empty spaces that would allow them to stagger nicely. I guess they can't be bothered to notice there's a bit of a pattern going on or consider why that might be.
Appreciate 0