BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Considering Among 4-6 Concepts Based on BMW-Toyota Joint Sports Car

07-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Considering Among 4-6 Concepts Based on BMW-Toyota Joint Sports Car

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Considering Among 4-6 Concepts for BMW-Toyota Joint Sports Car
COMMENTS

We know that BMW and Toyota have teamed up on a joint sports car project, but what we don't know is exactly what models this collaboration will spawn for BMW and Toyota.

For Toyota, many speculate that this collaboration will result in the next coming of the Toyota Supra.

As for BMW, it seems that the decision is still up in the air. Members of BMW's product team recently spoke with Drive and revealed that they are working on "four, five or six" different possible models for the joint project.

They added: "There is no decision on which direction we will go." "It could be a mid-engined supercar or a traditional front-engined sports car. We don’t know yet."

Whatever type of sports car it ends up being for BMW, the BMW spokesperson left no doubt that despite the platform sharing, BMW and Toyota will create and produce two unique and different sports cars. "To get the green light from the BMW board, this will have to be a real BMW sports car, even with the Toyota involvement."

Previous rumors (see link below) had speculated that the joint sports car would be based on a modified Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ platform and powered by a BMW or Toyota inline 4 engine featuring natural induction paired with electric motors. But, keep in mind these details are still just speculation for now.

Also see previous news:

> BMW Toyota Joint Sports Car - Latest News and Speculations (May 2013)
> Next BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra to Ride on Beefed Up Toyota 86 Platform? (Feb 2013)
> BMW and Toyota Ink Deal to Partner on Fuel Cell, Sports Car, Lightweight Technology

Last edited by Moderator; 07-23-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

If it's going to be turbo let Toyota supply the motor but no matter what they should supply the suspension too so it'll be double wishbone instead of fail trailing arms.
      07-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yes, Toyota, the home of great turbo motors and good handling cars. Oh wait, they had one and that was almost twenty years ago? Never mind...

Interesting that their biggest contribution to the BRZ was the dual mode DI and port injection, which is leading to fuel starvation issues for the Nurburgring rental car fleet.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Having Toyota's resources (read: money) is nice, but I would prefer BMW creates its own supercar for purity's sake.

If it's just a regular sports car, then fine. Ever since Toyota began supplying drivetrains to Lotus, for example, Lotus' reliability has been pretty solid.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yes, Toyota, the home of great turbo motors and good handling cars. Oh wait, they had one and that was almost twenty years ago? Never mind...
The JZX series cars were made up until 10 years ago and had mutli-link rear suspension and JZ motors - both the best in their respective categories. Try again.
      07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Having Toyota's resources (read: money) is nice, but I would prefer BMW creates its own supercar for purity's sake.

If it's just a regular sports car, then fine. Ever since Toyota began supplying drivetrains to Lotus, for example, Lotus' reliability has been pretty solid.
BMW has never made its own supercar. The M1 was more of a Lamborghini than a BMW. With how soft the M division has gotten, I don't see even the remote possibility of them experimenting with a home made supercar.

Last edited by TK-421; 07-23-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421
Quote:
The JZX series cars were made up until 10 years ago and had mutli-link rear suspension and JZ motors - both the best in their respective categories. Try again.
Such a great car that everyone forgot to buy one and a dumbed down US M3 outsold it and won nearly all comparisons to it.

Seems the Corvette was better reviewed too, still exists and has leaf springs (of a sort).

The fact is that Toyota is a lot of things, but the LFA and MkIV Supra are perhaps 0.01% of their DNA.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Imagine an ///M powered successor to the LFA
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
MMM3PWR
E90 6MT MASTER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I like my 94 Landcruiser and I like my M3....no need for blending
      07-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Sapphire11
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport Blk/Blk (G05)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM3PWR View Post
I like my 94 Landcruiser and I like my M3....no need for blending
Agreed, happy with our Tundra and 3 series without combining them.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Why even consider so many concepts? Seems like a waste of money to develop so many different cars as concepts

So now the excuses of not developing another Z4M Coupe with the S65 Engine due to funds and low volume are crap to me
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Enjoy my 335 and my 4Runner, lets not mix them please. Adding more mixer never improved a drink..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Such a great car that everyone forgot to buy one and a dumbed down US M3 outsold it and won nearly all comparisons to it.

Seems the Corvette was better reviewed too, still exists and has leaf springs (of a sort).

The fact is that Toyota is a lot of things, but the LFA and MkIV Supra are perhaps 0.01% of their DNA.
I'd like for you to show me one of these comparisons between an M3 and a JZX Toyota you speak of where the M3 wins because I sincerely doubt any publication that's even remotely legit would compare the souped up version of a compact coupe vs a standard, large, luxury sedan.

It shouldn't be a surprise the JZX cars weren't being sold left and right because they were relatively low production and weren't sold all over the world (the Chaser was only sold in Japan through specialized high-end Toyota dealerships that have since been converted to Lexus).

I'm not sure why you're bringing up the Corvette or its leaf springs? The Corvette is a dedicated sports car while the JZX cars are luxury sedans. On that note let's compare the Miata and the M6

Toyota has been using double wishbone suspension in the front and rear of their cars for over 20 years while BMW has been using non-adjustable, Flinstone-esque trailing arms. AND in those same cars (mass produced mid-sized sedans and coupes) they were putting in 1JZ and 2JZ engines - the best turbo motors on street cars ever produced - until a decade ago. So turbo motors and proper sports suspension is a little more than 0.01% of Toyota's DNA.
      07-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
"It could be a mid-engined supercar or a traditional front-engined sports car. We don’t know yet."

Let's please make it the mid-engined supercar. Something raw like a GTR.

Not sure why everyone is so upset by the Toyota collaboration, I mean the BRZ/scion mix was a nice result
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Imagine an ///M powered successor to the LFA
In a way the M3 and the LFA are pretty similar cars. Unimpressive torque but good horsepower as long you're driving in the high RPM range. They're meant to be driven the same way, as they have similar power/torque curves.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Seeing as how these major manufacturers source out the production of their parts to smaller companies, I would bet money that you already do drive a BMW that shares parts, or at least part vendors, with a Toyota.
Exactly. Case in point, my Toyota 1JZ-GTE motor in my drift car says "Yamaha" on the cam gear cover because they designed the head. Car makes work together more often than people realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Also, spend a minute in a Lexus and you'll see that they aren't simply rebadged Toyotas. You can't call somebody stupid for wanting something comfortable.
I've been in many Lexus and I've been far more impressed with the quality, especially the interior. I checked out the IS350 before looking at the E90 330i and the interior of the Lexus was miles ahead in almost every way but the lack of a clutch pedal was the only reason I didn't get it.
      07-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Exactly. Case in point, my Toyota 1JZ-GTE motor in my drift car says "Yamaha" on the cam gear cover because they designed the head. Car makes work together more often than people realize.

I've been in many Lexus and I've been far more impressed with the quality, especially the interior. I checked out the IS350 before looking at the E90 330i and the interior of the Lexus was miles ahead in almost every way but the lack of a clutch pedal was the only reason I didn't get it.
Lexus interiors have always been nice but I wouldn't call it "miles ahead" of any BMW. That's a gross exaggeration.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Small, light, front engined, rwd. Keep it simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Lexus interiors have always been nice but I wouldn't call it "miles ahead" of any BMW. That's a gross exaggeration.
My E90s interior sucked, especially for a $50K+ car. It was boring with nothing going on at all. And I said the IS350's interior was miles ahead of the E90's, not all of Lexus being miles ahead than all of BMW.
      07-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
otisjpqu
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Let's please make it the mid-engined supercar.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Willing to bet this will be BMW powered or at least it better be.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
"To get the green light from the BMW board, this will have to be a real BMW sports car
We shall see about that, BMW. We shall see. Methinks you've long forgotten what makes a real sports car.

But time will tell.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0