BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Scenic view night shots

08-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Scenic view night shots

I finally messed with the custom white balance and the shots came out decent. ISO set to 100-200, F3.5-4.5, and a custom white balance, on a Canon XTi with an 18-55mm lens. No photoshop rendering what so ever except for resizing.

These are from the view in my backyard and of the back yard. In the last one I couldnt get that plant sitting on the counter to focus so it looks blurry which to me ruined the shot. Is there a lens that can focus on everything in the whole frame from things that are up close to things that are somewhat far, like for example the plant on one end of my backyard to the other end.
Attached Images

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

dont like the last one due to the out of focus plant on the edge of the counter
Attached Images

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

Boost,

Great shots -- love the color.

As for getting the closest planter to focus, and keep everything else in the background sharp, you want to set the aperature to it's highest f-number, which makes the aperature itself as small as possible. This increases the depth-of-field (how much of the picture is in focus). If you switch to aperature-priority mode, and went with f22 or higher, that may work to get the front planter in focus. You may also want to think about a shorter focal length lens...Canon makes a 10mm - 22mm f3.5-4.5 USM lens, which gives really wide angles and close focusing distances.

Keep up the great shots
      08-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Yeah, do what scarecrow recommended about the clamped down (i.e. higher number) aperture. It's kinda tough to see at night, but your camera may have a shutter preview button that you can press where it will close the shutter to the position it will be in when you snap the photo - using it will roughly allow you to see if what you want will be in focus. Obviously, tripod/hands-off is required for this small of an aperture (even with cranked up ISO - which I'd recommend against, especially since you aren't holding by hand).

Oh, and nice shots!
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]