BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Need help purchasing a DSLR

07-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Need help purchasing a DSLR

Hey guys I figured I could get some insight as to a good dSLR for my first one here. I currently have a Nikon S1 point and shoot and to be blunt, it sucks. I'm interested in photography and I always use my camera to take pictures of things I sell on ebay.

I asked a "camera-nut" friend and he told me I should go with a Nikon D80 because I'll "grow into it" and won't require an upgrade any time soon (I told you he was a bit of a nut). I want to keep the price reasonable. I see a lot of people here like the Digital Rebel XTi and the D40/D40x (not sure of the difference).

This is my first dSLR and I don't want to outgrow it so quickly but at the same time, I have next to no experience with messing around with shutter time, appeture, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I have a Rebel XTi and I think it's great. I have never really used a Nikon but to me the Canon seemed more user friendly. I dont think you can grow out of it really, if so maybe in like 5 years or more but I've only had mine for 6 months so I don't know. I have the stock lens and I would like to upgrade but can't justify it now. The stock lens is fine all around especially for a beginner. You can get it with the stock lens for around $800 and body only for $700. Check www.newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120070

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

I appreciate the insight. Anyone else have an opinion as well?

P.S. Nikki: What's the difference between the XT and the XTi
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Digital Rebel XT(+i depending on how much money you want to spend).

For the same money spent, daylight picture quality is roughly the same between Nikon and Canon, but Canons' picture quality is slightly better under low light conditions (which turns out to be a *massive* advantage for indoor pictures)

Using a flash inevitably flattens the image - You know how these (built-in) flash pictures turn out: A brightly lit subject in front of a black hole... - and the Canon can take a decent enough picture in light conditions that would require a flash on the Nikon.

With just the normal lights on, the Canon will take fantastic pictures of family get-togethers (christmas, new years) without using a flash.
At ISO 1600 - 1/30 there might be the odd motion blur when people make fast gestures, but you capture a much more lively and inviting scene than you would with any flash.

Keep in mind, though, that even these small DSLRs are big. You do not put them in your trouser pocket and as a result, you don't lug them around everywhere. You have to want to get into this as a hobby, otherwise you're better off with the best point-and-shoot you can buy.

(I've got a degree in photography but I ended up doing something completely different, in case you're weighing opinions ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Yeah, that XT got heavy lugging it around the desert southwest, but I was stoked on some of the pictures I *THINK* I got. Some radical cloud formations, and some sunsets while driving. If this one turns out as good real size as it is on the display, I got a killer photo. I was driving 85, rolled down teh window, snapped, and a tree is backlit by the sunset, teh tree totally silhouete, with the top of the sun just below the lowest branch. I couldn't do that standing still but managed it at 85 MPH, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
ettil
ugh
Rep
Drives: broken 328ix

I've found from being around both Canon & Nikon DSLRs in studio conditions that the Canon's tend to have a slightly better auto white balance (good thing if you're a beginner). I bought a D10 years ago when they first came out and am still thrilled with the quality.

Go to a good camera store and take a look at both of them. Both should have easy to use settings where you'd don't have to mess with the f-stop/shutter speed until you're ready. People tend to be either Canon or Nikon. B&H probably has about the best prices http://www.bhphotovideo.com/. Keep in mind it's not all about megapixels. The size of the sensor has a lot to do with your picture quality more so than mp.

+1 on the photography degree I do nothing with
      07-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I recently got a Nikon D40x as my birthday present and so far I'm loving it. I got the kit with 2 lenses and a bag, + my dad got 2 lens filters and a SB-600 flash. This is where I got it from and exactly what came in the kit, http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SL...ct=%3Bcitopten

Also at Ritz camera they give you coupons for 14 lessons on how to use your specific camera, which is something like a $300 value or so they say.

Here are some photos I've taken so far. Most were taken on the 'auto' setting and some may have been taken on the 'motion' setting. Also all photos are in their raw form,, since I don't have photoshop nor do I even know how to use it Sorry in advance if the images are too large.

My 325i

My nephew

Me attempting to wakeboard

My buddy wakeboarding

My dog pissed and not wanting to photographed

Randoms

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
tracfour
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550. 2015 x328d

Garage List
I bought the Digital Rebel XTi three weeks ago and I love it easy to use and takes great photos. Got it from best buy for 800.00
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've said this in many threads but ill say it again. Go pick up each camera and see which feels better in your hand. These lower ends DSLR's will pretty much result in the same picture quality as well as functions. Whats most important is how it feels when you hold it. I was about to buy the Sony A100 until i played with it in person. The body was way too big for my hands. As much as i love the IS system on it, holding the camera just didnt feel right. I ended up purchasing a xti.

As far as is the XTI worth the extra $ or is XT good enough. I think the bigger LCD on the XTI alone is worth the extra $ over the XT.
      07-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What you catch with that banana?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I like the Canon's. I've been using Canon for a while now. Took my old original Digital Rebel to Europe and have some great pics. So much so that I sell them. I've now moved up to a Canon D20 but these are great cameras. They will last you for quite a while and the kit lenses are very good. Great starter to semi-pro cameras. If you want to see more go to:
www.PureEmotionPhoto.com
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

nikon d80.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
Canon xti for me
      08-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Canon XTi for me as well with a new Canon 17-40 L series lens coming soon!
Attached Images

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals

Last edited by Neema; 08-06-2007 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0