BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2021: Monaco GP - Monte Carlo (May 23)

05-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #375
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The "officials" and the FIA was/is aware of the Mercedes advantages .
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #376
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Dude, do you have a photographic memory? I mean honestly
Not quite but a pretty good memory. I drove my ex wife crazy! But I'm good for finding random articles missing in the house or office.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
AmuroRay2165.00
irunalot1515.50
      05-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #377
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
I can understand the gloating, but the season is not over. And if Max does win in the end, it still will not take away anything from Hamilton. All kings get dethroned sooner or later.
I was waiting for this comment with 100% certainty it would show. “Big deal, max 1, Lewis 7..” or whatever the numbers are.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #378
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I was waiting for this comment with 100% certainty it would show. “Big deal, max 1, Lewis 7..” or whatever the numbers are.
The bottom line is that right now the stats are in Hamilton's favor, as they had been for M. Schumacher. In some future, someone else will take over with perhaps as many wins. If you remember when Mark Spitz won his seven gold medals, everyone thought that it would be a record that would never be broken.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      05-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #379
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

According to Paddy Lowe, the merc PU was so good that the team and Toto were concerned it was too good and would turn it “to nearly idle” during qualifying to avoid tipping the performance to the FIA. He said the team had several “uncomfortable meetings with the Dahmer Board concerning the performance”.

“Toto and the Dahmer board were worried about the negative politics of looking too good”

“If Mercedes looked ridiculously good, something would be done about it.

There was a lot tension actually around the strangest of subjects, which was how good to look... by the way it was a good car car had terrific aerodynamics better than anyone actually which we use to track data, better than any car by far.
The debate would be how much we should turn up the engine. I’d get into a debate with Toto. He would say “that’s too much, we will look too good”. That was a big part of the discussion. That went on quite a long time.”

Source: Beyond The Grid - April 28
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 05-26-2021 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58876.50
      05-26-2021, 11:17 PM   #380
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
[Skip literally hundreds of posts marked as being on ignore list]

Bit of a yawnfest as usual (unless it rains).

No idea whats going on with Ricciardo...the man who beat Verstappen at Red Bull...Is Lando really that good? Could be I guess.
He looked ok in Spain - after his bad qualifying there was just no opportunity to overtake, so Norris lapped him because he could lap faster with faster cars ahead where as Ricciardo was stuck behind much slower cars. On a normal track it wouldn't have happened, and Ricciardo would have progressed through the field like he did in the previous races.

It's the same as when Ricciardo won Monaco in 2018 despite being 160hp down after his MGU-K failure. Vettel just couldn't get past without Ricciardo making a mistake. At any other track, the whole field would have driven straight past him and he'd have retired from the race.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:50 AM   #381
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
I can understand the gloating,
If you think it's about the gloating, then you don't understand.
It's about getting some excitement back in the championship.
If you have championships year after year where half a year before the championship even starts it's already pretty much safe to say who's gonna win it, thats not good for the sport. Only for the fanboys. But not for the number of views and not for the image of the sport.
Sure it's an extreme achievement that HAM and the MERC team can dominate a sport so long and with such a lead, but it makes the sport dead.
It's not good for the populairity of the sport if there's only a fight for 2nd place

And currently only 1 man can maybe give a fight for 1st, and thats Verstappen. That's why he's important for F1.
It would be even more fun if there were 3 or 4 contenders (preferably from different teams) that also have a real chance for the championship but they aren't there. No one talks about what Leclerc or Norris is going to do next race to make HAM's life miserable on the track. It's only VER.
Imagine if there were none...

If you ask anyone what were the glorydays of F1.
Most people are probably going to answer the Prost vs. Senna days.
And that is not because in those days the there was only 1 dominant driver/team.
It's because the fight was real back in those days. Back then the fight was so intense that both drivers wanted to be the fastest at any moment. So trainings, even winter trainings: who was fastest was a fight.
And I like to see that back again. And I think most real F1 fans do too.

And VER has a spectacular driving style.
Lots of drifts and insane saves.

I would have loved to see Leclerc staying in the race and not going out like this.
He also has a spectacular driving style, and defending his home turf always gives that extra motivation. (and as far as constructors go, I'm one of the tifosi )

Quote:
but the season is not over. And if Max does win in the end, it still will not take away anything from Hamilton.
Am I saying that?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-27-2021 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 6
M5Rick58876.50
Ngilbe361618.50
minn1913970.00
      05-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #382
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
He looked ok in Spain - after his bad qualifying there was just no opportunity to overtake, so Norris lapped him because he could lap faster with faster cars ahead where as Ricciardo was stuck behind much slower cars. On a normal track it wouldn't have happened, and Ricciardo would have progressed through the field like he did in the previous races.

It's the same as when Ricciardo won Monaco in 2018 despite being 160hp down after his MGU-K failure. Vettel just couldn't get past without Ricciardo making a mistake. At any other track, the whole field would have driven straight past him and he'd have retired from the race.
Always been a Ricciardo fan...he showed Verstappen the way at Red Bull, for the 3 seasons they raced together...so he is no slouch.
I totally expected to see him at least be on par with Lando in these first races so I'm at a loss as to why he isn't.
McLaren isn't like Red Bull where driver #2 gets the brown end of the stick...McLaren are trying hard to get him comfortable in the car.
I'm hoping more miles in the car will see it turn around for DR.
There is chatter than McLaren might replace the chassis on DRs car...but it might just be dressed up rumour clickbait.

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 05-27-2021 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      05-27-2021, 05:05 AM   #383
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
According to Paddy Lowe, the merc PU was so good that the team and Toto were concerned it was too good and would turn it “to nearly idle” during qualifying to avoid tipping the performance to the FIA. He said the team had several “uncomfortable meetings with the Dahmer Board concerning the performance”.

“Toto and the Dahmer board were worried about the negative politics of looking too good”

“If Mercedes looked ridiculously good, something would be done about it.

There was a lot tension actually around the strangest of subjects, which was how good to look... by the way it was a good car car had terrific aerodynamics better than anyone actually which we use to track data, better than any car by far.
The debate would be how much we should turn up the engine. I’d get into a debate with Toto. He would say “that’s too much, we will look too good”. That was a big part of the discussion. That went on quite a long time.”

Source: Beyond The Grid - April 28
Spot on my friend !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58876.50
      05-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #384
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
If you have championships year after year where half a year before the championship even starts it's already pretty much safe to say who's gonna win it, thats not good for the sport. Only for the fanboys. But not for the number of views and not for the image of the sport.
Sure it's an extreme achievement that HAM and the MERC team can dominate a sport so long and with such a lead, but it makes the sport dead.
It's not good for the populairity of the sport if there's only a fight for 2nd place

And currently only 1 man can maybe give a fight for 1st, and thats Verstappen. That's why he's important for F1.
It would be even more fun if there were 3 or 4 contenders (preferably from different teams) that also have a real chance for the championship but they aren't there. No one talks about what Leclerc or Norris is going to do next race to make HAM's life miserable on the track. It's only VER.

And that is not because in those days the there was only 1 dominant driver/team.
It's because the fight was real back in those days. Back then the fight was so intense that both drivers wanted to be the fastest at any moment. So trainings, even winter trainings: who was fastest was a fight.

I would have loved to see Leclerc staying in the race and not going out like this.
He also has a spectacular driving style, and defending his home turf always gives that extra motivation. (and as far as constructors go, I'm one of the tifosi )

Am I saying that?
When this much text is used to respond to one simple line, it looks like an excuse.
      05-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #385
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The winner won't need excuses , like your excuses...
LOL - Wait, what?
      05-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #386
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
LOL - Wait, what?
Yea, thats a head scratcher eh!!!??
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #387
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
When this much text is used to respond to one simple line, it looks like an excuse.
Aww too much words and no pictures?
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #388
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
TBH I thought Guido's answer was a very well thought out and genuine response. We need more of that and less garbage propaganda.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      05-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #389
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:

Am I saying that?
What I gather is "let's get Hamilton out of F1 so that Max can start winning, and only then can excitement come into F1 racing". Nah! Let the better driver, who takes away the crown, become the next king.
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2021, 11:21 AM   #390
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What I gather is "let's get Hamilton out of F1 so that Max can start winning, and only then can excitement come into F1 racing". Nah! Let the better driver, who takes away the crown, become the next king.
He's just upset his favorite driver only wins when the deck is entirely in his favor.
racerbruce3848.50
      05-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #391
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
He's just upset his favorite driver only wins when the deck is entirely in his favor.
Yeah, like Merc, and company, are going to give up their position so that others can have a chance.
Appreciate 2
racerbruce3848.50
AmuroRay2165.00
      05-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #392
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Am I saying that?
My problem isn't with Max or RB for that matter, I do think he is a bit too much of a whiner etc. But the majority of drivers are like that, (even Lewis at times). My problem is with his insane fans. I don't like that they have to denigrate anyone or anything who they feel was the reason Max didn't win. I'm all for a great title fight and the fun back and forth banter that ensues. Unfortunately, people here and elsewhere take it to the point where it isn't fun anymore. FWIW, obviously this happens in other sports such as fanatical Yankee/Red Sox/Eagles/Patriots/Raiders/insert any soccer/futbol team etc fans.
Appreciate 6
rwheels7066.50
MKSixer34171.50
racerbruce3848.50
Ngilbe361618.50
      05-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #393
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
My problem is with his insane fans. I don't like that they have to denigrate anyone or anything who they feel was the reason Max didn't win.
I think that is written from a HAM fan pov
The closer 2 competitors get, the more fierce their fans get in their reactions.

Football fans (hooligans) are way worse. They meet in secret to fight out their differences with clubs, hammers and knives. Even throwing iron rods at players in the field (famous incident in hooligan history).
We still dont see F1 fans throwing things to the cars I believe. (although riotting in F1 is already beginning amongst fans after wins sadly, so we might get to see a similar dark future in F1...)
The hooligans are one of the reasons I don't watch football out of principle (and I live in one of the most football crazed nations in Europe)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-27-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #394
rwheels
Major
Rep

Quote:
The closer 2 competitors get, the more fierce their fans get in their reactions.

Football fans (hooligans) are way worse. They meet in secret to fight out their differences with clubs, hammers and knives. Even throwing iron rods at players in the field (famous incident in hooligan history).
We still dont see F1 fans throwing things to the cars I believe. (although riotting in F1 is already beginning amongst fans after wins sadly, so we might get to see a similar dark future in F1...)
The hooligans are one of the reasons I don't watch football out of principle (and I live in one of the most football crazed nations in Europe)
Although we have no skin in this game, the fun banter is enough for me. Sad when the banter gets personal to the point as you mentioned. What is gained by that? That is when sports become unwatchable, and everyone loses.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
MKSixer34171.50
      05-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #395
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

I'm actually not, as I've said here many times before, I'm more of a VET/LEC/Ferrari fan and Mclaren RIC/NOR after that. I used to be more of a RB fan to until lately. HAM is way down the list for me, but I respect and recognize the possibly once in a generation talent he is. Much like Brady, I'm not fan of his but he is obviously the GOAT for US football.

Definitely agreed on the futbol fans, they are effing nuts.

Edit: Forgot, I've been brought back more into the RB fold thanks to PER joining the team. I really hope he avoids the RB second driver curse and has a great end of his career there.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      05-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #396
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I really hope he avoids the RB second driver curse and has a great end of his career there.
What are you talking about? As far as I can see he's making the most succesful start this year in his entire carreer shared with his previous record from 2017.
44 points after 5 races.
So as it looks until now, this is still his golden ticket.
Of course the car is completely developed to VER wishes and talents because he is the 1st driver, but that happens at every team where one is the 2nd driver.
Usually it's better to be a 2nd driver at a top team than being 1st driver at a lower tier team (points wise I mean). A driver like PER sits in that position I think.

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-27-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58876.50