BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The future of electric - Over 1000km range

08-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #23
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
sounds too good to be true, but sure best luck to them
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      08-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #24
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
sounds too good to be true, but sure best luck to them
It has been in work for so long... and already past 350k km without issues. That sounds very good to me.
M 4EVER191.00
      08-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #25
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
It has been in work for so long... and already past 350k km without issues. That sounds very good to me.
I'm sure the tech is reasonable, the real question (unless I'm missing something) is distribution of the 'fuel'. It's the same problem with hydrogen vehicles. No one is buying a vehicle that uses fuel that you can't buy on every street corner.

Now if these guys can get a major manufacturer on board, they might have something. Or if the stuff is long term stable, then maybe businesses (like UPS maybe) might consider this if they could have tanks at their shipping facilities and just fill up in the morning and go. But I'm not betting on Joe Consumer wanting a tank in his backyard or something that he needs to get filled like LP.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #26
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Under 50 cents/gallon!!!! Sign me up!

If this fuel is just electrolyte it should be safer to transport than gasoline. It should be simple enough to convert some portion of current fuel stations to dispense this. The whole premise sounds superior to a battery-powered electric vehicle. My only concern is that those already heavily invested in battery technology will try to squash it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #27
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Under 50 cents/gallon!!!! Sign me up!

If this fuel is just electrolyte it should be safer to transport than gasoline. It should be simple enough to convert some portion of current fuel stations to dispense this. The whole premise sounds superior to a battery-powered electric vehicle. My only concern is that those already heavily invested in battery technology will try to squash it.
Sure, being "safe" makes it a big win, no doubt. The problem with conversion of stations is a chicken and egg one. What station owner wants to put money into new tanks and dispensing equipment when there are no customers? And what (potential) customers would be willing to buy a vehicle when they can't fuel it anywhere?

A big enough player (or players) with some decent vehicles could make a move in a dense eco minded area, like southern California. Toyota did/is with fuel cells.

But unless/until this company gets some some major backers, I don't see how they can succeed with passenger cars.
Appreciate 0