BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Complaining about $80/yr when we just paid $60K+ for the car

12-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Complaining about $80/yr when we just paid $60K+ for the car

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I get that its silly for BMW to charge for something thats normally free (they waived the fee under consumer pressure) but just for some perspective....

I have an Audi S4 daily driver. I paid an extra $1K or so for the HD google earth nav display thats in configurable the main cluster. Its really impressive looking. The display likely sells a lot of cars for Audi.

After 1 year the display disappears and I find out that Audi wants me to pay $30 PER MONTH to turn it back on. For that + live traffic data they want $30/month. And its non negotiable. F THAT!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
MonsterMontoya
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 s30i

And that, is the correct answer 🙂
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 GTS 4.0

I would argue that if people did not vocally complain about the CarPlay fees, that it would start us down the slippery slope for BMW to start charging more for other features in the future. We should all be thankful that BMW abandoned this really bad idea at least for now, and I hope if this concept is ever raised again that the BMW community will fill the streets carrying pitchforks and torches until a stake us finally driven through the heart of this way of doing business.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      12-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkoboe View Post
I would argue that if people did not vocally complain about the CarPlay fees, that it would start us down the slippery slope for BMW to start charging more for other features in the future. We should all be thankful that BMW abandoned this really bad idea at least for now, and I hope if this concept is ever raised again that the BMW community will fill the streets carrying pitchforks and torches until a stake us finally driven through the heart of this way of doing business.
+1 I remember there was a rumor that BMW was thinking of adding all of the safety tech/other features to every vehicle but then making it a subscription package to get certain features with your vehicle. It definitely could have been a slippery slope into a terrible subscription based future.

Charging for data/wifi, I get that, but I wouldn't complain about CarPlay being a subscription service if it weren't that other vehicles that start anywhere from $15k have it free.

With OP's Audi, they are the only one to offer Google Earth as a feature, not to mention they bundle it with live traffic which is a feature that people normally charge for. Its not like you can get a Corolla with Google Earth for free, so the subscription model is understandable.
      03-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Disagree

$30/mo is a joke when I already paid a huge upgrade fee for the display. Plus google maps gives you traffic for $0 for life. The Audi guys are assholes. Will not buy from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
+1 I remember there was a rumor that BMW was thinking of adding all of the safety tech/other features to every vehicle but then making it a subscription package to get certain features with your vehicle. It definitely could have been a slippery slope into a terrible subscription based future.

Charging for data/wifi, I get that, but I wouldn't complain about CarPlay being a subscription service if it weren't that other vehicles that start anywhere from $15k have it free.

With OP's Audi, they are the only one to offer Google Earth as a feature, not to mention they bundle it with live traffic which is a feature that people normally charge for. Its not like you can get a Corolla with Google Earth for free, so the subscription model is understandable.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Chabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 s30i

OP is spot on!
Appreciate 0