BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum AC Compressor failure and leaking H20 pump

02-22-2023, 03:59 PM   #1
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

AC Compressor failure and leaking H20 pump

73k miles of fun into the car, and I have a broken ac compressor (clutch plate came off after compressor seized, tech assumes it leaked refrigerant / oil, hence the seize).

Compressor, condenser, and all AC lines (worried about possible metal shavings in those parts) to be changed. Parts and Labor: $4,967.01.

As a bonus, I have a leaking water pump that will also be replaced $889.49.

Car is fun (lots of fun, and I love it), but dang, I do expect better reliability (these are far from having been the only issues) from a daily driver, especially given that I have only taken the car to dealer and religiously do all recommended service.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
jvilla107
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 Skyscraper/Magma

Garage List
2023 BMW 430i GC  [8.00]
2023 BMW Z4  [9.94]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat30i View Post
73k miles of fun into the car, and I have a broken ac compressor (clutch plate came off after compressor seized, tech assumes it leaked refrigerant / oil, hence the seize).

Compressor, condenser, and all AC lines (worried about possible metal shavings in those parts) to be changed. Parts and Labor: $4,967.01.

As a bonus, I have a leaking water pump that will also be replaced $889.49.

Car is fun (lots of fun, and I love it), but dang, I do expect better reliability (these are far from having been the only issues) from a daily driver, especially given that I have only taken the car to dealer and religiously do all recommended service.

I doubt a leak caused the compressor to seize. It would have shut down from a lack of pressure long before it cooked itself.

What year is your Z? Are you the original owner? Is this your only BMW or you a multiple BMW owner?
All questions that if answered correctly could get bmw to assist with the cost of the repair.
Also: if you are concerned about metal in the system, as you should be, make sure they flush out the evaporator and install a pan filter to capture any rouge metal.

A/c repairs are never cheap, but always better to pay a little more and have it done correctly 1 time than to suffer the pain of a repeat failure down the road.
      02-22-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvilla107 View Post
I doubt a leak caused the compressor to seize. It would have shut down from a lack of pressure long before it cooked itself.

What year is your Z? Are you the original owner? Is this your only BMW or you a multiple BMW owner?
All questions that if answered correctly could get bmw to assist with the cost of the repair.
Also: if you are concerned about metal in the system, as you should be, make sure they flush out the evaporator and install a pan filter to capture any rouge metal.

A/c repairs are never cheap, but always better to pay a little more and have it done correctly 1 time than to suffer the pain of a repeat failure down the road.
Original owner of my first, and thus far only, 2019. Will struggle to get wife into Xx next go around given the issues with my Z. (did get to see a 2 series loaner in Thundernight--color choice being major reason I hadn't swapped out for a 0mile 2023 Z4--don't want to get rid of Misano just yet, but still don't know I am comfortable with that purple) Def didn't want any shavings left in there--will mention evaporator flush (thank you, for reminder). Joked when I dropped it off that I sure hoped it wasn't an evaporator leak, turned out to be just as bad. Certain I could have gotten it cheaper, but would rather pay for the comfort of hoping it will be done better at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 07:18 PM   #4
jvilla107
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 Skyscraper/Magma

Garage List
2023 BMW 430i GC  [8.00]
2023 BMW Z4  [9.94]
I concidered Thundernight but lacked the intestinal fortitude to pull the trigger. I went with Skyscraper Gray instead.