BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

08-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #89
gheumann
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2018 540i

I find the "put the top, windows down with the key" and "put the top/windows up with the key" feature to be really mysterious. I have the doors set to both unlock with one key press. I've had both success and lack of it with either two presses (press and hold on the last one) or three. What is the "secret handshake?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #90
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheumann View Post
I find the "put the top, windows down with the key" and "put the top/windows up with the key" feature to be really mysterious. I have the doors set to both unlock with one key press. I've had both success and lack of it with either two presses (press and hold on the last one) or three. What is the "secret handshake?
The open and close of the top you have to be fairly close to the car for it to work. Believe it’s like 5 ft or so (at least for the top to be put up). This is so you can view the top being closed to ensure nothing is in the way while it closes (like children or fingers). Just tested and on my car.

Press and hold will unlock and put down windows. Press, then press and hold on second click will put windows down and open the top.

Lock and hold on first press will close the top and put up windows, but again you have to be fairly close for it to work.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #91
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If there's a way to switch this off on a U.S. model, I haven't found it. Makes me crazy. Putting the car cover on - the car probably locks and unlocks 5 times. Dust-bustering it - same thing. Walking by it - once or twice.

I really don't mind having to touch the door handle and if there were an option to turn off the "detect my presence" feature I would turn it off!

Anyone find this option on a U.S. car?
Go to “car” on the left side. Then “settings.” Then “Door/Access.” Then “Comfort access.” Uncheck the top box that says “Unlock when approaching” and you and also uncheck “Lock when walking away,” but I like having this second one checked Incase my hands are full when I get out so the car auto locks after 5ft.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 02:39 AM   #92
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
If there's a way to switch this off on a U.S. model, I haven't found it. Makes me crazy. Putting the car cover on - the car probably locks and unlocks 5 times. Dust-bustering it - same thing. Walking by it - once or twice.

I really don't mind having to touch the door handle and if there were an option to turn off the "detect my presence" feature I would turn it off!

Anyone find this option on a U.S. car?
The settings you are looking for are under Doors/Locking. I think it is labelled Comfort. After selecting Comfort go to the right side of the screen and unticked the two boxes for locking and unlocking when leaving or approaching the car. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #93
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
My HUD failed 3 times in successive drives. I checked the display settings in iDrive and the box was ticked each time. I unticked it then ticked the box again but the HUD still did not work.
On the 4th occasion, the HUD was still not working but I noticed that the box in the display settings for the HUD was not ticked. Ticked it and the HUD started working again. Still OK after a few more drives. Very strange.
This morning my HUD failed. Will check later if it comes back. I also have some sound level issues. Sometimes, music sound level is low on DAB radio. If I go to iPhone music then go back to DAB, sound level comes back normal. Also it is my first convertible but I can hear lots of small noises, rattles coming from doors, dashboard, back, sometimes rooftop, in this car. Maybe it is normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #94
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
I have also experienced the occasional reduction in the sound level coming from DAB. Just put this down to a weaker than normal signal as it reverts back to normal level after a period of time. You may have a point in that there could be a problem with the entertainment system.
Regarding the noises from the car, I have not experienced this as everything seems to be screwed together quite well on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #95
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Both of my little black pads came out too

I was able to get one of them back in but the one on the right side just will not cooperate. I cant get it back into the holes. Guess Ill have to go to the dealer to have them reinstall them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #96
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynnpa View Post
I was able to get one of them back in but the one on the right side just will not cooperate. I cant get it back into the holes. Guess Ill have to go to the dealer to have them reinstall them.
After having the dealer reinstall mine, haven’t had any issues with them getting stuck since
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #97
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

After DME reprogramming and software installation 7/2019.39:

- Lane Assist no longer operating (no green lane symbol, no steering wheel vibration), while the function is ticked on and the car symbol in dash shows all driver assistance programs active.
- Seat settings lost (annoying but easily fixed)

Anybody else with the Lane Assist to other issues?

Cannot talk about stability of CarPlay yet - so far it came on immediately and did not drop but need more time to test in order to judge if any better than before.
      08-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #98
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

- Lane Assist no longer operating (no green lane symbol, no steering wheel vibration), while the function is ticked on and the car symbol in dash shows all driver assistance programs active.

Cannot talk about stability of CarPlay yet - so far it came on immediately and did not drop but need more time to test in order to judge if any better than before.
Thanks for posting your experience! I suppose I will hold off with any software upgrades and DME programming for now. Overall, things seem to work quite well, even CarPlay works most of the time.

Would that be your recommendation for now?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #99
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post

Thanks for posting your experience! I suppose I will hold off with any software upgrades and DME programming for now. Overall, things seem to work quite well, even CarPlay works most of the time.

Would that be your recommendation for now?
So after resting (?) overnight, Lane Assist is back on. I programmed my seat and that's done, too.
CarPlay is still spotty... it dropped twice in two days. Maybe iOS 13 will fix this.

No other observations. Seems the DME recall is related to certain B58 engines and not Z4 specific. I got it done because I brought my car in for a 1,200 mile oil change (I know not necessary but peace of mind for me) and hence they did do the reprogramming.

If you have no issue and do not need to go to dealer for anything else, I am sure you can wait as they did not seem concerned with any specific timing on the recall.

There is some chatter on the G05 and G20 forum about the July update not always going well.
      08-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #100
juju86
Rep

New trouble today : a metallic noise (like a spring) coming from automatic gear selector I think. I don't like this. Will see.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #101
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

When the second key fob is used (comfort access) to open the trunk, after the first fob locked the car, the alarm will sound. Anyone else? Really annoying...

Lots of rattles coming from the center console area, but I can't isolate it. Someone above mentioned it being their first convertible/roadster and not knowing if it's normal: it's not..

Audio sound quality on the HK, specifically the bass, is just awful and I'll go as far as saying it's broken / defective. Adjust the bass too much and it's boomy and rattle inducing. Too little and audio sounds flat. No decent middle ground...
      09-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #102
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
When the second key fob is used (comfort access) to open the trunk, after the first fob locked the car, the alarm will sound. Anyone else? Really annoying...

Lots of rattles coming from the center console area, but I can't isolate it. Someone above mentioned it being their first convertible/roadster and not knowing if it's normal: it's not..

Audio sound quality on the HK, specifically the bass, is just awful and I'll go as far as saying it's broken / defective. Adjust the bass too much and it's boomy and rattle inducing. Too little and audio sounds flat. No decent middle ground...
I've had the alarm sound on me using the primary key after locking the car. Pulled up to Lowe's, locked with comfort access, came out and had key in my left pocket, but opened the trunk with right hand (standing sideways because I had a box of air filters in my hand) and the alarm went off. Are you able to consistently replicate the lock with primary and setoff alarm with secondary?

Haven't had any rattles from the center console thankfully.

100% agree on the bass of the HK speakers. I think it's the location though being behind the seats in an inadequately specced enclosure. I liked the bass of the HK in my m240i, but the subs were under the seats so smaller enclosure wasn't a big deal for bass feel. But being behind the seat back where it's thicker and less enclosed space for the bass to reverb, you lose a lot of the bass capability. I'm past my years of rattling trunks and blown ear drums, but I still like to feel a nice thump when listening to music. Hopefully there's a nice alternative to these factory subs that can provide that without being overbearring.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #103
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Side mirrors tilt down while driving for no specific reason. Memory position of mirrors is lost. I reset mirrors and memory.
So far no repeat occurrence.
      09-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #104
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My alarm goes off every time I open the boot (trunk) with either of my two keys in my pocket if the car has been parked for a while.
If I lock the car and then open the trunk shortly afterwards the alarm does not go off. It seems that after the car is locked and it "goes to sleep", usually after about 5 minutes, that is when the problem occurs.

I reported this problem to my dealer on Friday. Waiting to hear if there is a solution. Will update the forum on the dealers response.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #105
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

My issues...

Hi,

I've had my new Z4 for three weeks now and have experienced:

1) An annoying issue where on occasion the car won't lock using the key fob button. I either need to start the car and turn off and try again or position the key next to the steering wheel column. I've since decided to use Comfort Access where even there are occasional issues. The issue occurs with both keys with new batteries.

This message appears when the lock issue is experienced:

'Vehicle key missing: Vehicle key not available or malfunctioning. Engine start not possible. See Owner's Handbook for further information'.

2) The 'quiet' DAB issue.

3) An occasional rattle from the plastic central console area.

4) Slow and poor wireless phone charging. After a 2 hour drive my phone charge increased from 19% to 31%. My previous BMW had sprung holders that kept the phone in position but the Z4 allows the phone to move around during driving. The phone is also warm.

5) I have all of my music on a USB stick. The Z4 doesn't return to the track\point I left off on when starting the car so I have to navigate to the last track. This was never an issue with my other BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #106
juju86
Rep

Hi,

I had a software upgrade today, will see if it solves issues like quiet DAB, alarm with trunk opening...
Nobody has randomly a "click" noise (like click of a button or an electrical relay) located near gearbox stick?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #107
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
Hi,

I had a software upgrade today, will see if it solves issues like quiet DAB, alarm with trunk opening...
Nobody has randomly a "click" noise (like click of a button or an electrical relay) located near gearbox stick?

Thanks
I have that clicking noise near the shifter. I assumed it was panel rattle, but I can't find the source/stop it from rattling. It's interesting that you call it relay clicking.. the thought that it could be mechanical/electrical in nature occurred to me as well..
      09-26-2019, 12:32 AM   #108
juju86
Rep

Quote:
I have that clicking noise near the shifter. I assumed it was panel rattle, but I can't find the source/stop it from rattling. It's interesting that you call it relay clicking.. the thought that it could be mechanical/electrical in nature occurred to me as well..
Good to hear you. At the beginning I thought it was a plastic rattle, but finally I'm pretty sure it's an electrical/mechanical thing as you said.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #109
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I can add the screeching wheel\brake issue to my list. It happened last night for the first time after approx 1500 miles and sounds horrendous.

The problem continued for a few miles this morning and then disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #110
sanfordrich
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
I can add the screeching wheel\brake issue to my list. It happened last night for the first time after approx 1500 miles and sounds horrendous.

The problem continued for a few miles this morning and then disappeared.
Yes, it is a horrible sounding noise. It happened only once to me and that was during the first week I had the car. Thank goodness it has not happened since. I now have close to 2K miles on the car. At least if it does happen again, I know what it is and how to make it go away (if it doesn't go away on its own: accelerate and brake abruptly a few times).
Appreciate 0