BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Creaking roof

09-14-2020, 03:49 AM   #1
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Creaking roof

My G29 has developed an annoying creaking sound from the roof which, sometimes, disappears if I lower and raise the roof. Annoyingly it's in the section of the roof which is right behind my head.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything I can check or do?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
My G29 has developed an annoying creaking sound from the roof which, sometimes, disappears if I lower and raise the roof. Annoyingly it's in the section of the roof which is right behind my head.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything I can check or do?
Not a creaking as such but I've had a couple of issues with roof noise. One was resolved by opening and closing the roof with the car parked on level ground - the noise started after I closed the roof while driving, so it probably hadn't seated properly.

The other was a dealer job - the main power cable (I think) that runs through the roof was knocking against one of the struts, so they wrapped a bit of felt round it and it was sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Thanks for that. I've noticed that the creaking sound disappears when the roof is wet.

What side of the roof does the power cable run through?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
DudeAbides
Geriatric Delinquent
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4, Toyota Tacoma

I had a similar issue with my prior e93 M3 convertible. My tech recommended using Gummi Pflege on all the exposed rubber areas. I used detailing tools to get it in the channels and at the interface points. I haven't had need to try it on my Z yet, but it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B004B8GTQG
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
Thanks for that. I've noticed that the creaking sound disappears when the roof is wet.

What side of the roof does the power cable run through?
Whatever it was, it's on the right, so somewhere between your head and the offside window.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

PS a creak that disappears in the wet is possibly a badly fitting seal. When the seals get dry and dusty, eg with the roof down, they can move against each other. A bit of rain makes a nice airtight seal that cuts the movement and the noise down. Same issue with every convertible I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Whatever it was, it's on the right, so somewhere between your head and the offside window.
Yes I guess I haven’t spent much time with the roof up until the last few weeks, but I have the exact noise just behind my right ear (RHD car) probably a cable like you say. Annoyingly my CRV has a similar noise in the A pillar.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
DeRoda
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Same noise

I have the same noise that you describe. I had a Z4 20i with that noise and after taking it 3 times to the BMW I still had it. I sold it and bought a Z4 40i ... and it has the same noise !! Can someone tell me how to fix it? Do you think it is because of a cable that passes through the ceiling?:llorar:
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
DeRoda
Registered
Rep

Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Yes I guess I haven’t spent much time with the roof up until the last few weeks, but I have the exact noise just behind my right ear (RHD car) probably a cable like you say. Annoyingly my CRV has a similar noise in the A pillar.

I have the same noise that you describe.
Did you get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Not a creaking as such but I've had a couple of issues with roof noise. One was resolved by opening and closing the roof with the car parked on level ground - the noise started after I closed the roof while driving, so it probably hadn't seated properly.
I have owned convertibles since 1994 and have never attempted to raise or lower my roof while driving until yesterday when it started to rain heavily and I could not pull over on the road I was driving on. I raised the roof while driving 15 mph and had cars honking their horns behind me.

After reading this thread I am starting to become paranoid and will start paying attention to any noise I hear from the roof.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #11
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcrew2 View Post
Guess I’m well of subject but my CRV also has a similar noise in drivers side A pillar.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:30 AM   #12
spbonzo
Rep

I found the problem with my creaking roof and can report that it wasn't the roof after all. The creaking was coming from the fitting\area between the roll bars where I noticed there was slight movement so a hard push down fixed the issue. I assume that the fitting had slowly loosened over time.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbonzo View Post
I found the problem with my creaking roof and can report that it wasn't the roof after all. The creaking was coming from the fitting\area between the roll bars where I noticed there was slight movement so a hard push down fixed the issue. I assume that the fitting had slowly loosened over time.
Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0