BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

04-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #221
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I had a big WTF moment today in my Z4. The car started by itself TWICE while I was just sitting in it. The first time I had it running, but turned it off by pushing the start/stop button. When I put my cellphone in the charge tray, the car immediately started and I didn't even have my foot on the brake. So, I shut the car off by pushing the start/stop button, while thinking WTF just happened?!! I pulled my phone out of the charge tray and the car started itself again! Still no foot on the brake pedal either!

I do have a digital key on my phone, but that doesn't mean it is supposed to start itself automatically. The physical key was in my pocket. I don't think this was a case of auto engine stop either because my foot was not on the brake. The car was not in gear, it was in park. The only other thing I can think of was for some reason the parking brake/auto hold was on and I turned it off. That shouldn't affect anything though.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #222
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I had a big WTF moment today in my Z4. The car started by itself TWICE while I was just sitting in it. The first time I had it running, but turned it off by pushing the start/stop button. When I put my cellphone in the charge tray, the car immediately started and I didn't even have my foot on the brake. So, I shut the car off by pushing the start/stop button, while thinking WTF just happened?!! I pulled my phone out of the charge tray and the car started itself again! Still no foot on the brake pedal either!

I do have a digital key on my phone, but that doesn't mean it is supposed to start itself automatically. The physical key was in my pocket. I don't think this was a case of auto engine stop either because my foot was not on the brake. The car was not in gear, it was in park. The only other thing I can think of was for some reason the parking brake/auto hold was on and I turned it off. That shouldn't affect anything though.

Rob
I may misunderstand something something in your post, but the auto off also kicks in when you put the car in park. Without pressing the pedals, the engine may come on if it needs juice for AC or electric consumption.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:12 AM   #223
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I may misunderstand something something in your post, but the auto off also kicks in when you put the car in park. Without pressing the pedals, the engine may come on if it needs juice for AC or electric consumption.
True, but I had pushed the start/stop button to turn off the car and it started up again after that.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #224
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I think these issues would be related to the front facing camera? Cruise control no longer worked and the green safety halo turned orange. After several kilometres the issue appeared to resolve itself.

Sorry about the glare, I still have the protective film on the touchscreen until I can source a screen protector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #225
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
I think these issues would be related to the front facing camera? Cruise control no longer worked and the green safety halo turned orange. After several kilometres the issue appeared to resolve itself.

Sorry about the glare, I still have the protective film on the touchscreen until I can source a screen protector.
I think that will be the front ultrasonics rather than the camera. I get that sometimes when there's a lot of spray hitting the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #226
Belgian_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:

I had exactly the same issue last month. Cause: car lost connection with mobile network which affects safety services. Next day the issue was solved as soon as the car connected to the mobile network.

Previous: 325i coupé (e36) - 520D (e60) - 530D xDrive (F10)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #227
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:

Ok, sorry, I know you probably already checked this, but I'll ask anyway: nothing obstructing the view of the camera on top of windshield? I am not 100% sure where the radar is, but assume there is no dirt, spray, snow, or anything like that on/around front grill?

I would definitely bring it into the dealer. Even if they say it's just the mobile network connection, I would want to get that reassurance (?) - or get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #228
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok, sorry, I know you probably already checked this, but I'll ask anyway: nothing obstructing the view of the camera on top of windshield? I am not 100% sure where the radar is, but assume there is no dirt, spray, snow, or anything like that on/around front grill?

I would definitely bring it into the dealer. Even if they say it's just the mobile network connection, I would want to get that reassurance (?) - or get it fixed.
I'll take it in for them to read the code. Just to verify what the issue was. It was really windy today and I'm not sure if that had any bearing on things.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #229
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Full screen map display issue

For some reason my full screen map display now permanently shows map menu options on the right hand side of the screen -

Any idea as to how I can remove this menu from the default view?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #230
kv1980
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Airbagmodule shows under the dash passengerside

Hi,

Yesterday I noticed for the first time that you see a small part of the shape of the airbagmodule under the dash on the passengerside. It shows more when the sun shines on the panel. I find it strange that I didn't notice this sooner but that may be coincidence...
I would like to know if this is normal,anyone else with the same issue here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 01:39 AM   #231
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian_Bimmer View Post
I had exactly the same issue last month. Cause: car lost connection with mobile network which affects safety services. Next day the issue was solved as soon as the car connected to the mobile network.
It seems odd that the network connection would affect the safety features because I don't see how those are related? Is that what the dealership told you?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #232
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:

I just realized it must be a radar thing, not camera. The lane departure assist was still working when the other features stopped. I assume the radar is in the top of the window as well?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #233
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I just realized it must be a radar thing, not camera. The lane departure assist was still working when the other features stopped. I assume the radar is in the top of the window as well?

Rob
No, it’s inbetween the kidney grilles ... see this thread https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1655664 for the documentation, screenshot attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #234
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv1980 View Post
Hi,

Yesterday I noticed for the first time that you see a small part of the shape of the airbagmodule under the dash on the passengerside. It shows more when the sun shines on the panel. I find it strange that I didn't notice this sooner but that may be coincidence...
I would like to know if this is normal,anyone else with the same issue here?
Seems normal. Mine is like that too.

Rob
Appreciate 1
kv198034.50
      05-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #235
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

Getting a Blind Spot Monitoring error every 5 minutes.
Turned it off for now since the pop up was getting annoying.

Also noticed the side view (passenger side) mirror was not dimming last night.

Software version 7/2019, car had its first service 2 weeks ago and dealer did not update.
      05-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #236
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG 228i View Post
Also noticed the side view (passenger side) mirror was not dimming last night.
I don't think the passenger mirror dims. The mirror on mine seems standard and does not have the 'thin border' that the dimming mirrors have which can be seen under certain light conditions.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #237
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
For some reason my full screen map display now permanently shows map menu options on the right hand side of the screen -

Any idea as to how I can remove this menu from the default view?
Did you ever get an answer for this? I think there is some sensor which detects your hand is close by and shows menu items. The map display on my new X3 M40i has shrunk into menu mode (while the map is displayed) a few times by itself and there is nothing nearby to trigger that. My Z4 has not had this trouble at all.

Do you have anything hanging from the center mirror like furry dice?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #238
Pinzs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Civic SI

Got my first check engine light today.

Anyone have any ideas? Made an appointment with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:20 AM   #239
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you ever get an answer for this? I think there is some sensor which detects your hand is close by and shows menu items. The map display on my new X3 M40i has shrunk into menu mode (while the map is displayed) a few times by itself and there is nothing nearby to trigger that. My Z4 has not had this trouble at all.

Do you have anything hanging from the center mirror like furry dice?

Rob
Nope. I still can't get the map display to go full screen again. The menu options remain visible- hand gesture or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:29 PM   #240
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
Nope. I still can't get the map display to go full screen again. The menu options remain visible- hand gesture or not.
Reset? (Keep Radio Power Button pressed... too lazy to google exact procedure, make sure you understand if that erases any custom settings/resets to default)

Does this happen when you press Map in the center console or do you swipe to a widget?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #241
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Reset? (Keep Radio Power Button pressed... too lazy to google exact procedure, make sure you understand if that erases any custom settings/resets to default)

Does this happen when you press Map in the center console or do you swipe to a widget?
When pressing Map.

Until a few weeks ago the map was full screen but for some reason the options menu is now permanently visible on the left hand side of the screen. I've exhausted all settings options but would rather know what's caused this than performing a full reset and risking this happening again.

It's not a major issue by any means but I always like to know what's going on
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #242
Exarmydoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 M30i

Window Leaks both sides

Took my brand new Z4 to touch free car wash. Both windows leak. Is this common? First BMW. Porsche cabs did too but not nearly as much. Yes windows were all the way up and the top was closed!
Appreciate 0