BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What if we had an Autobahn in the U.S.?

01-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #23
quinonesxua
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

We can easily make our infrastructure handle high speeds but our drivers ed has failed to make people competent drivers.
      01-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I can sympathize with the Left Lane Loonies that want to sit there at 65mph in a 75 zone, texting, while drinking coffee and doing their makeup.

...Terrible example but you get the idea.

I've tried to intelligently handle these idiots by giving the quick flashes of the high beams (BMW didn't take away that functionality from the american cars thank god) but I either get the finger in response or they move out of the way just to get right on my ass and leave their high beams on.

The quick flash is supposed to be a friendly way of reminding slower motorists that they are screwing up traffic flow in the fast lane and to gtfo. It's not like I've got road rage and I want to kill their first born child so they can't create another slow mindless waste of space like the rest of the cattle herd on the roads today.

Bill Burr did a special a while back and although crude, his ideas on solving the whole mindless masses problem was actually pretty spot on with the way our society is these days...but I digress.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #25
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
There's no point to flashing high beams in the US. The only people who know what it means are not the ones stupidly driving in the left lane. It's like talking Latin to a pig.
      01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #26
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Flash your high beams, and their first idea is "Oh look, a douchey BMW driver in a hurry! Eff him!"
If they are driving slow in the left lane, chances are that they are very aware of what they are doing, and it's a passive/aggressive statement that they are not going to allow YOU to drive faster than THEY feel you should! I've found that these drivers will generally only leave a gap big enough that they feel they can close it before you can get there, so the trick is to lull them into thinking they have it covered, then take it suddenly before they realize what you just did!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #27
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

A pass on right side and abrupt lane change in front them (nothing dangerous) usually gets the point across. Next thing you see them do is change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #28
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
A pass on right side and abrupt lane change in front them (nothing dangerous) usually gets the point across. Next thing you see them do is change lanes.

......or match my speed for about 1/4 mile, then back down again.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #29
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

There is no way the US would have a autobahn. Unless they charge money to drive on it, which I think is very reasonable. Most lunatics idiotic drivers (Prius drivers) wouldn't even want to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I can sympathize with the Left Lane Loonies that want to sit there at 65mph in a 75 zone, texting, while drinking coffee and doing their makeup.

...Terrible example but you get the idea.

I've tried to intelligently handle these idiots by giving the quick flashes of the high beams (BMW didn't take away that functionality from the american cars thank god) but I either get the finger in response or they move out of the way just to get right on my ass and leave their high beams on.

The quick flash is supposed to be a friendly way of reminding slower motorists that they are screwing up traffic flow in the fast lane and to gtfo. It's not like I've got road rage and I want to kill their first born child so they can't create another slow mindless waste of space like the rest of the cattle herd on the roads today.

Bill Burr did a special a while back and although crude, his ideas on solving the whole mindless masses problem was actually pretty spot on with the way our society is these days...but I digress.
I don't ever flash my high beams. There are far too many stories where that causes road rages and someone ends up getting killed.

The best option is to just change lanes and pass on the right. Less hassle than tailing their ass and telling them to move.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #30
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I'm not worried about road rage psychos for thou art sheltered by .45 ACP.

Now, for those about of you about to go mental because I made a gun reference, I'm in the military and damn well know how to restrain myself unless an attempt on my life or the lives of others becomes cause for concern. So please don't lecture me on the merits of gun control.

Back to the point, unless the US (as a whole) adopts a much more involved drivers education requirement, we'll never see something like the autobahn put into use here. It's bad enough that people still can't put down their damned phones while they're in heavy rush hour traffic.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #31
cwruck
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i and b7 s4

It would certainly be fun to drive everyday in triple digits without getting in trouble, but would definitely cause more trouble than good.

Many idiots where I live as well, including some of my friends, I feel terrible telling them they aren't good drivers. But just learn to accept the fact that very few people are actually skilled drivers.

But fortunately for me, in my city there are plenty of roads that don't get any traffic, and if your looking for some fun it's pretty easy to get up to high speeds and not have to worry about hurting anyone but yourself. But with suspension mods and good tires with experience it's pretty easy to feel comfortable in your bimmer at higher speeds, knowing your car is glued to the road
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #32
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #33
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

That video never gets old!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #34
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Obviously you've never been to Atlanta. Autobahn is live and well.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #35
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Driver's Education in the U.S. is a joke.

I remember watching a movie called Red Asphalt.

It was still photographs of horrific crashes with Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" on loop in the background.

No joke.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #36
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep

I subscribe to "Wrecked Exotics". http://www.wreckedexotics.com/ Looking at the mangled remains of high performance cars is a subtle reminder to me that no one is immune from a potential accident, even if you drive a performance car, and it calms me down.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Ugh, this thread comes up every 5-6 months. Someone will watch a video about the Autobahn on history channel and then log onto a car forum and have the bright idea "Hey why not in the U.S?"

The best answer I've ever seen on any of the car forums I visit, wish I remembered who said it so I could quote them, but here it is:

Exactly, Americans are just plain "stupid" when it comes to driving. We need proper education before thinking of things such as unrestricted highways.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #38
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Exactly, Americans are just plain "stupid" when it comes to driving. We need proper education before thinking of things such as unrestricted highways.
I think it's also a lazy attitude in general as well. Performance driving courses at the low end only cost a couple hundred dollars for a full day course. Heck, if you want to go all out, I've seen weekend packages with hotel included, posted for under $500. I remember when I bought my first performance car back in the 90s, it was a slightly used E36 M3. I thought to myself, I may very well kill myself in this thing. So I did something about it, and until this day, I still continue to take performance driving courses, more as a fun hobby, and participate in track events about once a month during the Spring and Summer.

During the course of any normal day, the biggest risk someone will take with their life is getting into their car, and driving onto public streets and highways. You have a higher chance of dying there than any other "normal" activity you will do during the day. Most people are either ignorant of the risk, or don't care.

That's why we shouldn't, and will never have, an autobahn here in the states.
Appreciate 0