BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

11-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #133
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Welcome to the forum John. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

The door trim thing seems to be quite common, but I haven't heard anyone else report a squeaky console. Probably worth taking it back to the dealer, they can usually sort these things with a bit of foam once they've worked out where the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #134
Allenscreekskinny
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
Good news! I got the car back today, the same day I put it in. Apparently a number of screws on the passenger side trim were not torqued to the correct value, and apparently some clips weren't in right, so they sorted all that out. They also added some foam tape here and there.

The glovebox buzz is now completely cured. However, the plastic clicking noise is still there. I'm pretty sure it's coming from where the roof meets the windshield frame. I'll keep an ear on it for the next few weeks and see if it gets better on its own - if not I'll stick it back in.
I had the plastic clicking noise which sounded like a switch rapidly going on and off. Bothered me for months and finally figured out it is the seat belt latch...only makes the noise when it is buckled in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #135
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenscreekskinny View Post
I had the plastic clicking noise which sounded like a switch rapidly going on and off. Bothered me for months and finally figured out it is the seat belt latch...only makes the noise when it is buckled in.
Interesting. I've started noticing a click from behind me when I come to a stop - I'm thinking it might be the seat belt inertia lock
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #136
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Thanks for this. I will check next time. Currently as I wrote in a new thread, I have like a rubber noise coming from front train (it seems coming from front shock absorbers) when I drive on speed bum or bad road. It seems to have started with cold temperatures, very strange...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #137
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

I have had a few iDrive related problems with the car, but none so serious that I have had to go to a dealer. There is definitely a right order in which to get out of the car. If the car has auto-stopped, I park and get out of the car without hitting the start/stop button, it is more likely that the car will not lock and a "key not recognised" error message appears. The car will only lock after getting back in, putting the key in the centre console, restarting, stopping and getting out again. This happens frequently.
Yesterday, when it was minus 3 degrees C and the car was frosted over, I had the entertaining problem of the window not adjusting properly after I got out to de-ice after starting the car and putting the demisters and window heaters on. This meant that the driver's side door would not shut until I had turned everything off, then turned everything on again.
Other than these few problems, I like this car sooooo much
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #138
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
Thanks for this. I will check next time. Currently as I wrote in a new thread, I have like a rubber noise coming from front train (it seems coming from front shock absorbers) when I drive on speed bum or bad road. It seems to have started with cold temperatures, very strange...
There are two black rubber things under the front bumper that will skim the top of a big speed bump. Could be those? Would have to be a very bad road to happen elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:49 AM   #139
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
There are two black rubber things under the front bumper that will skim the top of a big speed bump. Could be those? Would have to be a very bad road to happen elsewhere.
Yes I've see those, but it is not this. Sound is like more soft rubbers. And this morning, after car was 2 days in my garage, it was less noisy, but still present. If it continues I will go to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:16 AM   #140
spbbonzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Discs\stones update

After five separate incidents of stones getting caught in the brake system BMW UK advised me to take the car into my local BMW garage.

After an inspection they've confirmed that there is no damage to the discs. Hooray!

However, I'm more than sceptical of their claim that there have been no other reports of this happening with other Z4 G29s (UK?) so BMW are not aware of the issue and have no plans to fix.

Have any of you UK owners reported this to BMW? I know JimS has.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:06 AM   #141
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbonzo View Post
After five separate incidents of stones getting caught in the brake system BMW UK advised me to take the car into my local BMW garage.

After an inspection they've confirmed that there is no damage to the discs. Hooray!

However, I'm more than sceptical of their claim that there have been no other reports of this happening with other Z4 G29s (UK?) so BMW are not aware of the issue and have no plans to fix.

Have any of you UK owners reported this to BMW? I know JimS has.
It has happened to me 6 times now and every time I reported it to my dealer by email.

See my thread titled Z4 Design Flaw Uncovered for more detailed information:-

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620305
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #142
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
It has happened to me 6 times now and every time I reported it to my dealer by email.

See my thread titled Z4 Design Flaw Uncovered for more detailed information:-

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620305
This is another issue I seem to have escaped. I live on a half-built estate and I frequently hear stones and mud rattling round the wheel arches but after 2,000 miles I still haven't had any get stuck.

I also got my door trim replaced this week (took them ages to get the parts), so I'm currently rattle-free
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #143
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Quote:
When you say seatbelt latch, do you mean the leather strip with a magnet on the end that's attached to the seat? I've noticed that making a little bit of noise too!

Update on the plastic clicking noise coming from the roof - I think I've tracked it down to a wire inside the roof lining. I can feel it with my finger and if I press it against the roof it makes the same kind of tapping noise, and if I hold it down then any clicking noises while driving go away. Got the car booked in for Thursday for them to take a look at.

Unfortunately my glovebox buzz has come back It's nowhere near as bad as it was - it's no longer constant and it's definitely quieter, but it's there. Hoping I can get them to sort this too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #144
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

I've worked out that the clicking noise from behind me is definitely electrical relays - the sound occurs when I switch the rear window heater on or off.

What I can't understand is why the same sound happens at random times, mostly when the car is stationary.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #145
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I've worked out that the clicking noise from behind me is definitely electrical relays - the sound occurs when I switch the rear window heater on or off.

What I can't understand is why the same sound happens at random times, mostly when the car is stationary.
There's a few electronic units behind the seats sandwiched between the two back panels, bolted to the sub housings. Here's a photo of them:

Here's the details and description of the modules:
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...4&d=1569377335
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #146
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditorycanvas View Post
There's a few electronic units behind the seats sandwiched between the two back panels, bolted to the sub housings.
Thanks, that's really helpful. Would you say it's normal to hear some noise from the relays?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #147
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
I hear the relays when the car is sitting in my driveway as well. From what the BMW reps told me, it's the car doing systems checks like the vents and stuff. It also does a fuel pump prime when you open the car with comfort access assuming you will be driving off.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #148
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I hear the relays when the car is sitting in my driveway as well. From what the BMW reps told me, it's the car doing systems checks like the vents and stuff. It also does a fuel pump prime when you open the car with comfort access assuming you will be driving off.
Thanks. As long as it's not just me, I'll stop worrying about it
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #149
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Sticky Parking Brake--I washed my new Z4 and pulled it into the garage to dry it off. After drying, I used a clay bar, All in One to tackle some light swirls, an IPA based stripper, and then applied CQuartz 3. I did that on a Friday and left the car in a 74 degree garage until Monday morning. No chance of rain so I decide to drive the car to work. I start the engine and then feel a lurch and brief thump. The parking brake light was not on but it was stuck. Apparently, you should drive the car a bit after washing it to dry the brakes, or not use the parking brake after washing. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by DocWho; 12-03-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #150
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
Sticky Parking Brake--I washed my new Z4 and pulled it into the garage to dry it off. After drying, I used a clay bar, All in One to tackle some light swirls, an IPA based stripper, and then applied CQuartz 3. I did that on a Friday and left the car in a 74 degree garage until Monday morning. No chance of rain so I decide to drive the car to work. I start the engine and then feel a lurch and brief thump. The parking brake light was not on but it was stuck. Apparently, you should drive the car a bit after washing it to dry the brakes, or not use the parking brake after washing. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Only once after letting it sit a few days. If it just sits over night it is fine (which is usually what I do).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:37 AM   #151
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For those of you with the rock stuck in the brake system, apparently this is recognized by bmw on the g29. Got this screen shot from the "BMW Driver's Guide" app which downloads information specific to your VIN. Put in my z4 M40i vin and found this under the frequently asked questions section.
Attached Images

2021 Model Y Performance
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
ToysArs60.50
      12-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #152
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSecretan View Post
When you say seatbelt latch, do you mean the leather strip with a magnet on the end that's attached to the seat? I've noticed that making a little bit of noise too!

Update on the plastic clicking noise coming from the roof - I think I've tracked it down to a wire inside the roof lining. I can feel it with my finger and if I press it against the roof it makes the same kind of tapping noise, and if I hold it down then any clicking noises while driving go away. Got the car booked in for Thursday for them to take a look at.

Unfortunately my glovebox buzz has come back It's nowhere near as bad as it was - it's no longer constant and it's definitely quieter, but it's there. Hoping I can get them to sort this too.
Update on the clicking noise from the roof - the dealer installed felt tape behind all the wires inside the roof liner and unfortunately the noise remains. It sounds like it's coming from around where the roof meets the windshield in the centre - around where the roof locking mechanism is. Oh well, back to the dealer I'm going. Take it no one else has had any clicking noises from the roof?

I might also have a potential candidate for the glovebox-area noise. I was cleaning the interior yesterday and noticed that the passenger side doorcard isn't attached to the door properly. The bit just under the tweeter speaker sits about 2cm out from the door and has a lot of play in it, whereas the doorcard on the driver side is perfectly flush against the door. It sits so far out that it's actually got some dents in it where some bits on the main dashboard must be pushing against it when the door is closed.

For the chap who is having issues with an electrical clicking noise coming from behind him - I have the exact same thing. I think it's normal for these cars - I find the relay noise often coincides with electrical events like the start-stop system engaging or the roof going up or down.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #153
Toejedi
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

DrSecretan I have the exact same issue regards a plastic clicking noise coming from where the roof meets the windscreen. Mines been into 2 dealers for this problem and they’ve replaced the push-clips which hold the plastic trim to the roof but this hasn’t resolved it.

I reckon it’s the plastic roof trim either being too tight to the roof (no play). But the noise only started after about 6k miles and after I noticed that one of the clips felt as though it had detached on the left hand side; when I pushed the trim against the roof lining with my hand ( it’s seemed to pop in then when I pressed on the right hand side of the trim it’d pop back out).hence the dealers replacing the clips/studs/press rivets.

Now it doesn’t do pop in or out but the Geiger-counter type clicking noise is still there.

It has to be the trim rubbing it too close fitting to another plastic part. It’s definitely the roof trim.

If I get a solution I will post but I will be taking it back to the dealers in Jan.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #154
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejedi View Post
DrSecretan I have the exact same issue regards a plastic clicking noise coming from where the roof meets the windscreen. Mines been into 2 dealers for this problem and they’ve replaced the push-clips which hold the plastic trim to the roof but this hasn’t resolved it.

I reckon it’s the plastic roof trim either being too tight to the roof (no play). But the noise only started after about 6k miles and after I noticed that one of the clips felt as though it had detached on the left hand side; when I pushed the trim against the roof lining with my hand ( it’s seemed to pop in then when I pressed on the right hand side of the trim it’d pop back out).hence the dealers replacing the clips/studs/press rivets.

Now it doesn’t do pop in or out but the Geiger-counter type clicking noise is still there.

It has to be the trim rubbing it too close fitting to another plastic part. It’s definitely the roof trim.

If I get a solution I will post but I will be taking it back to the dealers in Jan.
Hmmmm, I wonder if it is the same issue we have. My noise is definitely not a Geiger-counter kind of noise - mine is just a single click which happens when going over uneven road surfaces.

My and the dealer's first thought was that it was the plastic at the front of the roof moving against the plastic at the windshield where the two meet. However, after some investigation I'm pretty sure they don't actually touch each other. I taped a piece of cloth to the plastic behind the seal at the windshield, then closed the roof and tugged the cloth. I expected it wouldn't budge because the roof clamps so tightly to the windshield, but it came right down with zero effort.

I'm now thinking it's either something simple like a clip that's loose, or it's the lock drive behind the little plastic hatch that's loose. I'm going to do some further investigation and put it into the dealer in January. Part of me wonders if the loose door card could be contributing - I know it's a completely different part of the car but I just wonder if one bit being out of alignment and putting the incorrect pressure on other bits of the car can throw the whole thing out of whack - probably wishful thinking!

That's annoying that you've not had any luck at either dealer. Have you tried escalating it to BMW UK?
Appreciate 0