BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Thoughts on working from home?

11-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #45
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
That's horrible. I worked at a place like this and it was shit.

I'm glad I work with adults now and not those still stuck with a high school mentality.
Agreed, but it got me through a few years at the time. I feel like most people tend to start off in jobs like that before finding better adult jobs / careers.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I live 5 minutes from my office but would love to WFH full time so i can pick up my kids after school and save $1000 month.

Right now my oldest is at school but decided to keep the 4 year old at home and I need to keep him amused all day. I tis really, really tough to do this and hold down a 6 figure income but I am swinging it. Gotta say, enjoying saving $2K a month from our nanny share.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #47
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Agreed, but it got me through a few years at the time. I feel like most people tend to start off in jobs like that before finding better adult jobs / careers.
My last few jobs were like this.

People watching to see when you leave, regardless of what time you showed up. And the insanity that resulted meant the guys on the floor would queue up 15 minutes before quitting time to clock out right on time. Those of us in the office didn't do anything the last 10-15 minutes as we kept refreshing the time card software for exactly 5 pm.

So stupid to have 150 people wasting that much time because someone would cry if they saw someone leave at 10 to 5, even though they got there an hour early (like I often did).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #48
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I'm a freelance photographer or at least I was...I find that I'm usually doing something work oriented or preparing to do so. There are times when you have domestic or social obligations but it's too competitive to not put the time in or you lose out on opportunities.
      11-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #49
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

for me home is a place to relax and not work.. at least personal projects only..

i missed human interaction, missed to dress up and going to work, missed to be in different places, missed being less electronic, missed the feeling of being back home after work..

if you re not spending more than 1 hour to go to work i dont see any advantage.. cause such environment at least me for me is an invitation to depersonalization, depressive mood, being less creative and more importantly crushing the boundaries between work and personal life.. when im at work i like to focus on work, when im at home i want not to focus on work.. but the same environment makes it pretty hard..

there can be jobs may not require offices but i like to make random talks with colleagues, fast Q&A's etc..
      11-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #50
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

I kind of mentioned this with "better hardware," but I didn't specify audio gear. Not bringing my open-back headphones and amp/DAC stack into the office... Definitely happier with my music playing (all day).
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      11-24-2020, 01:09 AM   #51
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
I kind of mentioned this with "better hardware," but I didn't specify audio gear. Not bringing my open-back headphones and amp/DAC stack into the office... Definitely happier with my music playing (all day).
Do we have an audiophile thread yet....? I don't think I've seen one.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #52
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

I love working from home. I won't go back to an office, if I can help it.

While I have friends, I'm an introvert at work.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #53
Jesse_M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

PJs all day and music on the good stereo, kitchen right outside my office door, can poop in peace, go for a bike ride on break, able to run errands whenever, keep to my own schedule, what's not to love?

I got really sick of being home all the time. Miss the office interaction and collaboration with colleagues. I decided to go back in part time and I think I found my sanity again after nearly 8 months. The drive to work and home allows me to relax and separate the two different environments. It was hard at home because I turned my gaming room into my office .. so I didn't really enjoy being there at night or after work anymore.

The outcome is that I've proven we are all able to work independently while still meeting deliverables. This has opened up doors to propose relocating back to my hometown and working at a satellite office.
Appreciate 0