BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition The Running Thread

05-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #133
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I have not. Plenty of people do streaking, but that is a minimum of 1 mile per day, not 3.1. I definitely think it is possible, but soreness/recovery needs usually tell me when to take a day off. That said, I haven't taken a day off yet this month and have done 4+ miles each day.

Good luck!!!
And I took the last two days off. LOL
      05-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #134
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to “use up” circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I don’t want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: Attachment 2305405

Good info above, thanks,

Maybe to due Covid and some other events? I’ve been often only eating one meal a day - dinner, and getting in some 10, 7 or 6 mile runs plus dumbbell workouts on days not running. The long periods of not eating for me are really helping me relax or focus. I’m weighting around 175 and should be closer to 160 when I’m in fighting shape. I want to start doing 24 hour fast.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #135
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
The ideal fasting time varies from person to person. For someone like myself who is in pretty decent shape and active, I find that 18-hour fasts are enough in reducing body fat and maintaining muscle without feeling too lethargic throughout the day. I typically do these 18-hour fasts, 5 days a week Monday- Friday and leave the weekends open for random eating adventures and drinking. The concept is simple, a longer fasting time allows your body to “use up” circulating sugars more efficiently and transition into your fat stores as a last resort. Now, there is a bit more at play here on the cellular level and the liver, however I don’t want to bore you with too much science.

The golden fasting time is still widely debated, but most studies show anything in excess of 16 hours is ideal for most. To give you an idea, your liver is typically depleted of glucose completely (near 1% remaining) at around the 24-hour mark: (This isn't the goal, but am using it as a gauge).

I hope this helps, but encourage you to do your own research and talk to your doctor before trying as some medications can lose efficacy when fasting.

Recent study from Harvard:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ve-your-health

NCBI study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836017/

A-Z of Intermittent Fasting PDF: Attachment 2305405

Good info above, thanks,

Maybe to due Covid and some other events? I’ve been often only eating one meal a day - dinner, and getting in some 10, 7 or 6 mile runs plus dumbbell workouts on days not running. The long periods of not eating for me are really helping me relax or focus. I’m weighting around 175 and should be closer to 160 when I’m in fighting shape. I want to start doing 24 hour fast.
Sounds good. If you do try the 24 hours fasts, make sure you're eating enough in your feeding window.

I've found it's hard to get enough down for an 18 hour fast. That extra 6 hours is brutal.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      05-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #136
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

President Trump must've working on a new stealth wall. I was going quite a bit faster the first 2k, then hit a wall. Pushed thru, got a second wind and was moving along faster than normal again
On the return, at the same spot, ran into that wall again. Didn't find a third wind, but managed to finish
      05-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #137
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Sheesh, don't know how you guys fast that long. I'm hungry just thinking about going 18hrs+ without food. Running has never been a main focus though, always something to do on the back end of my workouts. Typically run a 5k a few days a week, around a 7min pace so nothing to write home about. So I try to keep my body as well fed as possible. I'll eat around 11am and not eat until I run later that day, roughly 5pm, and usually feel pretty good after a 6hr fast.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #138
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Sheesh, don't know how you guys fast that long. I'm hungry just thinking about going 18hrs+ without food. Running has never been a main focus though, always something to do on the back end of my workouts. Typically run a 5k a few days a week, around a 7min pace so nothing to write home about. So I try to keep my body as well fed as possible. I'll eat around 11am and not eat until I run later that day, roughly 5pm, and usually feel pretty good after a 6hr fast.
7-minute pace when doing 5K's a few times a week is actually impressive.

Also, I've been fasting, Though today for example my lunch was probably 4000+ calories.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #139
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
That is - that's pretty quick for not trying!
      05-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #140
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Anyone dealt with patellar femoral syndrome and plantar fasciitis?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #141
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Been dealing with PF for a couple of years. Which is why I'm switch more to bicycling
      05-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #142
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Been dealing with PF for a couple of years. Which is why I'm switch more to bicycling
Have you attempted the numerous rehabilitation techniques available to help with PF? Knee strengthen exercises, various stretching techniques, mcconnell taping technique?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #143
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you attempted the numerous rehabilitation techniques available to help with PF? Knee strengthen exercises, various stretching techniques, mcconnell taping technique?
Ice buckets, my bro is PT and has done some sort of taping. Stretches at work while sitting on my fat ass. I have a boot that keeps the P stretched at night, that I can normally manage to wear for a few hours before I have to take it off. A little better getting out of the bed first thing when I wear that.

It used to be that I only felt it after playing/refereeing soccer matches, and I figured it the change of direction that stressed it. Now, even just running straight, heck after a weekend in the yard and I feel it.

I went to my regular ortho, and he said I was doing about all I could. HE wouldn't do any surgery on me.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      05-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #144
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've had both.
(I've been running for many years and have always recovered form an injury that hindered my running)

For my plantar fasciitis I'm guessing it was a pair of very soft Nike running shoes that contributed. Took time off, maybe used my bike and it cleared and has never resurfaced. Calf raises I do often because I think that is preventative.

For knee cap pain I've had quite a few episodes. Some took a few months to recover some took as short as a day to recover. I think/guess my weightlifting routine may have had been a factor and I think too many long runs and not enough rest played a roll. One episode was severe enough that I had an MRI done (radiologist supposedly saw cartilage floating) and there was talk of surgery if I wanted. But I rested, walked and progressed to walking with a weighted vest and within (I think) six-months I was back running. There was a time when my knee pain was so bad I couldn't walk without difficulty and walking down steps may have been tough (my memory fails)

So rest then walking then stretching: manipulating the knee and hips then weighted exercise: calf raises, leg extensions(-individual legs, low weight) .

Presently I'm running half-marathon distances, very steep hills and doing at times squatting half my body weight (which I'm doubting I'll ever go back to twice bodyweight just as preventive at this point in my life)

My girlfriend rehabs some very accomplished professional athletes and I did not like or I was so injured I couldn't use her techniques for patellar work.

So I encourage someone to assess their own situation, rest from activities that create the hurt and think positive and never accept that an injury will end what you look to do.
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      05-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #145
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
I definitely had pretty significant issues with plantar fasciitis. I thought Dlpfcb gave some good info and advice on this subject. I've utilized all of these with some diligence and it's a non issue for me now days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
One mis conception about PF is chasing the solve through shoes. This is typically related to a muscle imbalance which is usually from weaker hips, glutes and calves. Weight Training and bands is one of the best thing you can do. Landing also plays a huge role in injuries. Walk on a treadmill or in you house barefoot and focus on how you land. You will always come down on your heal. Now do the same thing but run barefoot. You will naturally come up higher on the ball of your foot but will almost never let your heel slam when your barefoot. Thats the landing you want to have with shoes. Focus on landing and strength training and I'm sure you will both beat it for good. Cheers Gents!
      05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #146
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
I definitely had pretty significant issues with plantar fasciitis. I thought Dlpfcb gave some good info and advice on this subject. I've utilized all of these with some diligence and it's a non issue for me now days.
Thanks for the info. That’s input I’ve come across numerous times throughout my research; that plantar fasciitis is often mistreated as the usual treatment tends to focus on alleviating the symptom rather than fixing the source of the problem; poor muscle imbalance, particularly underdeveloped flute muscles. When you think about, it makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #147
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ice buckets, my bro is PT and has done some sort of taping. Stretches at work while sitting on my fat ass. I have a boot that keeps the P stretched at night, that I can normally manage to wear for a few hours before I have to take it off. A little better getting out of the bed first thing when I wear that.

It used to be that I only felt it after playing/refereeing soccer matches, and I figured it the change of direction that stressed it. Now, even just running straight, heck after a weekend in the yard and I feel it.

I went to my regular ortho, and he said I was doing about all I could. HE wouldn't do any surgery on me.
It seems like each PT has a different strategy for rehab for every condition. That makes sense since everybody is slightly different with different lifestyles.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #148
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I've had both.
(I've been running for many years and have always recovered form an injury that hindered my running)

For my plantar fasciitis I'm guessing it was a pair of very soft Nike running shoes that contributed. Took time off, maybe used my bike and it cleared and has never resurfaced. Calf raises I do often because I think that is preventative.

For knee cap pain I've had quite a few episodes. Some took a few months to recover some took as short as a day to recover. I think/guess my weightlifting routine may have had been a factor and I think too many long runs and not enough rest played a roll. One episode was severe enough that I had an MRI done (radiologist supposedly saw cartilage floating) and there was talk of surgery if I wanted. But I rested, walked and progressed to walking with a weighted vest and within (I think) six-months I was back running. There was a time when my knee pain was so bad I couldn't walk without difficulty and walking down steps may have been tough (my memory fails)

So rest then walking then stretching: manipulating the knee and hips then weighted exercise: calf raises, leg extensions(-individual legs, low weight) .

Presently I'm running half-marathon distances, very steep hills and doing at times squatting half my body weight (which I'm doubting I'll ever go back to twice bodyweight just as preventive at this point in my life)

My girlfriend rehabs some very accomplished professional athletes and I did not like or I was so injured I couldn't use her techniques for patellar work.

So I encourage someone to assess their own situation, rest from activities that create the hurt and think positive and never accept that an injury will end what you look to do.
I recently realized that my footwear may be a contributing factor. I just bought some inserts with arch support as I’m flat footed, and noticed that my left foot feels more discomfort around the arch area. It seems over time that my left arch has collapsed further into flat footedness. Of course, my left knee and heel are the problematic areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #149
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That’s input I’ve come across numerous times throughout my research; that plantar fasciitis is often mistreated as the usual treatment tends to focus on alleviating the symptom rather than fixing the source of the problem; poor muscle imbalance, particularly underdeveloped flute muscles. When you think about, it makes a lot of sense.
Yessir, good luck! Discovering a lot of underlying muscle weaknesses and imbalances and correcting them has unlocked a lot of pain free activity for me in the last few years.
      05-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #150
Mingwan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yessir, good luck! Discovering a lot of underlying muscle weaknesses and imbalances and correcting them has unlocked a lot of pain free activity for me in the last few years.
Thanks dude.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #151
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I did 5.5k last night. I was CONSCIOUSLY trying to keep my toes spread (like, running down the road and spreading my fingers on my hands so my toes would follow )

When I got home, I had a sip (or 3) of my diabetic Cadillac, then iced the bottom of my foot for about 30. Wore the boot to bed and didn't take it off until my wife's alarm went off at 0400

So far today, I have zero limp from the PF.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #152
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did 5.5k last night. I was CONSCIOUSLY trying to keep my toes spread (like, running down the road and spreading my fingers on my hands so my toes would follow )

When I got home, I had a sip (or 3) of my diabetic Cadillac, then iced the bottom of my foot for about 30. Wore the boot to bed and didn't take it off until my wife's alarm went off at 0400

So far today, I have zero limp from the PF.
Good news, hopefully you've found a system that works for some injury free running. I do almost all of my running in Injinji running toesocks (yep, this is a thing ) to promote natural toe splay, I'm a firm believer it helps overall.
      06-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #153
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good news, hopefully you've found a system that works for some injury free running. I do almost all of my running in Injinji running toesocks (yep, this is a thing ) to promote natural toe splay, I'm a firm believer it helps overall.
I have to find my toe spreader blocks and start using them again. I giggle almost every time I put them on that I bought them from Oprah/o dot co
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #154
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to find my toe spreader blocks and start using them again. I giggle almost every time I put them on that I bought them from Oprah/o dot co
If it works, it works! I swear by the socks now for any long run or trail run.