BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Benjamin Chen crashed his Porsche Gemballa Mirage GT in NYC

04-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #45
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

I guess people are totally dismissive of the fact that money buys privilege!

First words I'm sure is if you have any questions, I'll answer them at the station with my lawyer.

Crashed into the first car on 47th Street, crashed into 4 more over three addition blocks and finally came to test at 44th Street.

This isn't avoiding an accident or being cut off. And the accelerator pedal got stuck excuse doesn't create immunity from a field sobriety test.

So it's simple... His social status, errrr, affluence, provided him with privilege not enjoyed by any other Tom, Dick or Harry who wouldn't caused the same amount f damage, say, with a Honda or Ford...

Lastly, the responders most certainly with the current concerns regarding the virus, weren't going to go out of their way to have a physical encounter!

He's lucky, that's all I'll say!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #46
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
While I have no particular sympathy for this guy, I really don't see how someone's wealth should impact how the Lady Justice sees the situation. She is blindfolded for good reason. 💡
Attached Images

m3fuz199.00
      04-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #47
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
While I have no particular sympathy for this guy, I really don't see how someone's wealth should impact how the Lady Justice sees the situation. She is blindfolded for good reason. 💡
I'll point you to a case here in Canada. Marco Muzzo son of the owner of a multi billion dollar construction company. Has his bachelor party in Vegas and fly's home on a private jet and get's loaded during the flight. Gets into his SUV, blows a stop sign and hits a car with a family in it. Grandfather and his three very young grandchildren all dead at the scene.

He is in prison right now and waiting for his first parole hearing later this month. This happened just less than 5 years ago. Now in the US he would probably been given a much harsher sentence but this billionaire couldn't buy his way out of this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-children.html
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59520.00
      04-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #48
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Must not have Walton (walmart) money.. you can look up the multiple DUIs leading to death without proper punishment.

More recently a certain US diplomat's wife in the UK, kind of fell out of the news with the virus going on and probably will go unpunished.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #49
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I'll point you to a case here in Canada. Marco Muzzo son of the owner of a multi billion dollar construction company. Has his bachelor party in Vegas and fly's home on a private jet and get's loaded during the flight. Gets into his SUV, blows a stop sign and hits a car with a family in it. Grandfather and his three very young grandchildren all dead at the scene.

He is in prison right now and waiting for his first parole hearing later this month. This happened just less than 5 years ago. Now in the US he would probably been given a much harsher sentence but this billionaire couldn't buy his way out of this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-children.html
Not quite sure about that...maybe, but in general, Canada takes DUIs more serious than the US. DUI in Canada=felony.
      04-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #50
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Not quite sure about that...maybe, but in general, Canada takes DUIs more serious than the US. DUI in Canada=felony.
Indictable vs summery conviction. Equates to felony vs misdemeanor. Having said that most Impaired's in Canada procede by way of summery conviction. If there is serious bodily harm or death then by way of indictment.

The penalties imposed in Canada for first time impaired with no injuries is a $1000 fine and 12 month suspension of driving. Impaired causing death often doesn't get you much more than 12 months in jail.

Careless driving causing death which is a Highway Traffic Act offence (like speeding) will get you a fine of $1000 and 12 month suspension. We don't punish criminals here.

I've seen guys do 18 months for manslaughter.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #51
Cloudplay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Anglesey Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Probably had his traction and ESP switched off, that's why they usually lose it.
No ESP on the Carrera GT, as many have found out the hard way.
Appreciate 1
tim99ws6110.00
      04-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #52
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

How did the steering wheel airbag not go off as he smoked the van hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #53
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Based on the comments, this guy has no respect for his luxuries. Entitlement at its finest.
      04-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #54
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Found this :

The owner is Benjamin Chen, he's in his early 30's. His parents are some of the richest people in the world. He inherited an investment company, he's a venture capitalist, owns a handful of other businesses along with being the co-owner of the Gold Rush Rally. He went to Boston University and currently lives in NYC. His net worth is estimated to be between 2-4 Billion dollars. He has a constantly growing car collection that currently includes the following.

Koenigsegg Agera R Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe series II Mercedes McLaren SLR GTR Mercedes SLS Black Series McLaren 12c Spyder Bugatti Veyron Super Sport Bugatti Veyron (Pur Blanc 1 of 1) Porsche Carrera GT Gembella Mirage Porsche Carrera GT Porsche Carrera GT Bugatti EB110 Super Sport Porsche 997 Turbo S Lamborghini Murcielago SV Lamborghini Aventador SV Range Rover Sport SVR
Which one works at Riker's Island? They all seem a bit large to drive between cells!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #55
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

He was trying to leave so he could find a private place to call his parents on WeChat for help
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #56
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

It's funny how some ppl are so idealistic (read: naive): e.g. Rodney King got a major X beatdown for doing much, much less than this BC guy.

Ya, Lady Justice is supposed to be blind, but she takes a little peek if you flash her the green.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Here's a case where money and privilege wasn't even hidden in the defense in court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

His case made the term affluenza main stream.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #58
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
It's funny how some ppl are so idealistic (read: naive): e.g. Rodney King got a major X beatdown for doing much, much less than this BC guy.

Ya, Lady Justice is supposed to be blind, but she takes a little peek if you flash her the green.
The problem I have is people cheerleading treating this person differently because of his wealth. That's just wrong... as wrong as treating people differently for their lack of wealth, or perhaps the color of their skin. You understand this concept right?
      04-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The problem I have is people cheerleading treating this person differently because of his wealth. That's just wrong... as wrong as treating people differently for their lack of wealth, or perhaps the color of their skin. You understand this concept right?
I'm not "cheerleading", just making obvious observations. The guy doesn't respect other ppl's properties as well as his own vehicles, and on multiple occasions. However, the police guy just 'scolded' him about taking off and left him in his car at one pt w it running, even though he just admonished him about trying to take off from the accident scene. It's quite clear that another person of a different *ethnicity* (not 'color', that's a silly description) would not be treated the same way.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #60
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not "cheerleading", just making obvious observations. The guy doesn't respect other ppl's properties as well as his own vehicles, and on multiple occasions. However, the police guy just 'scolded' him about taking off and left him in his car at one pt w it running, even though he just admonished him about trying to take off from the accident scene. It's quite clear that another person of a different *ethnicity* (not 'color', that's a silly description) would not be treated the same way.
We should be championing equality regardless of income, ethnicity, or skin color. That obviously isn't happening in this thread. Additionally it's really weird that you're imagining some alternative reality where if this person had a different color skin they'd be treated differently. I can only wonder where that prejudice originates from.
      04-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We should be championing equality regardless of income, ethnicity, or skin color. That obviously isn't happening in this thread. Additionally it's really weird that you're imagining some alternative reality where if this person had a different color skin they'd be treated differently. I can only wonder where that prejudice originates from.
What are you even talking about? I'm ALL FOR equality, just pointing out that's not reality sometimes. Guy was ramming all these vehicles at dangerous speeds, but he wasn't even apprehended or at least got the keys taken away. If you choose to ignore that not everyone is (treated) equal(ly), keep deluding yourself. I'm a realist. Again, I'm all for fair treatment, but just pointing out that it sadly doesn't happen all the time irl. Look at itt, some ppl are kowtowing to the dude subconsciously just cuz he's rich and they don't even know it. I'm ok w him being rich, but if he's endangering ppl, gotta point it out and not make silly excuses for his behavior.

Stop projecting if you're harboring some deep-seeded prejudices and pretending things are the same for everyone when it's obviously not, that's lack of empathy and not seeing things from other ppl's viewpt.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #62
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:

You might want to inform yourself on Rodney King.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #63
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You might want to inform yourself on Rodney King.
Yes, slightly different as he ran from police vs here they most likely showed up afterwards, however, RK didn't damage any property afaik and still got a severe beatdown so obviously disproportionate.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #64
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, slightly different as he ran from police vs here they most likely showed up afterwards, however, RK didn't damage any property afaik and still got a severe beatdown so obviously disproportionate.
So you need to take the politics out of it. Rodney King was a poster child, so some research.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #65
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So you need to take the politics out of it. Rodney King was a poster child, so some research.
No politics, just reality. Not sure why you wanna minimize and/or ignore. BC here was treated w kid gloves.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #66
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
No politics, just reality. Not sure why you wanna minimize and/or ignore. BC here was treated w kid gloves.
So, you want to compare two very different events, Rodney King was arrested in 1991 for a very different incident to this. I'm not sure what your law enforcement experience is but I have some so feel that I can comment on both events with at least some relative frame of reference and feel confident in saying that the way the coppers in NYC dealt with the Porsche driver was appropriate but happy to hear your professional opinion and why you think it was wrong and how they should have handled it differently and how that your way of doing things might impact the criminal proceedings moving forward.
Appreciate 0