BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Benjamin Chen crashed his Porsche Gemballa Mirage GT in NYC

04-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #67
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So, you want to compare two very different events, Rodney King was arrested in 1991 for a very different incident to this. I'm not sure what your law enforcement experience is but I have some so feel that I can comment on both events with at least some relative frame of reference and feel confident in saying that the way the coppers in NYC dealt with the Porsche driver was appropriate but happy to hear your professional opinion and why you think it was wrong and how they should have handled it differently and how that your way of doing things might impact the criminal proceedings moving forward.
Don't need to be a LEO to use common sense. RK didn't damage any property and was secured and didn't require a beatdown, vs BC who damaged several properties, endangering his surroundings and still was treated w kid gloves. I used RK as it's the most famous example but could've easily used many other less famous ones where police tactics were overhanded and ridiculous.

Anyway, not gonna let you derail the topic as there's obviously different stds of treating suspects and it showed here. Tell me, would you let BC wander around like that, even after you 'scolded' him for trying to hit-and-run, and not even bother to take away his keys? Or you think it was a textbook arrest and anybody else would've been treated exactly the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #68
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Don't need to be a LEO to use common sense. RK didn't damage any property and was secured and didn't require a beatdown, vs BC who damaged several properties, endangering his surroundings and still was treated w kid gloves. I used RK as it's the most famous example but could've easily used many other less famous ones where police tactics were overhanded and ridiculous.

Anyway, not gonna let you derail the topic as there's obviously different stds of treating suspects and it showed here. Tell me, would you let BC wander around like that, even after you 'scolded' him for trying to hit-and-run, and not even bother to take away his keys? Or you think it was a textbook arrest and anybody else would've been treated exactly the same?
So RK was 29 years ago, resisted arrest and didn't follow the directions of the police. The police were acquitted of excessive force. They were then tried for abusing his civil rights because of the public outcry....we could argue all day but this became a political trial in the end. This clown in NYC is a very different matter and he was handled in an appropriate manner given the circumstances.

I want there in NYC, but from what I saw the police handled him correctly. Would you be happy if they got rubber hoses out and beat him? Please tell me based on your experience in law enforcement.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #69
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So RK was 29 years ago, resisted arrest and didn't follow the directions of the police. The police were acquitted of excessive force. They were then tried for abusing his civil rights because of the public outcry....we could argue all day but this became a political trial in the end. This clown in NYC is a very different matter and he was handled in an appropriate manner given the circumstances.
RK got a unjustified beatdown WWE style and the system tried to cover their Xs and hence the riots, but again, I could've used any unarmed African being shot at a routine stop to nail my pt. Don't bother saying they are all political.

Re bold, I disagree, should've at least taken his keys away since he showed he wanted to flee, if only to prevent further potential danger to ppl in the vicinity. Kid gloves, man.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #70
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I want there in NYC, but from what I saw the police handled him correctly. Would you be happy if they got rubber hoses out and beat him? Please tell me based on your experience in law enforcement.
Need to talk down to me? Again, don't need to be a LEO to use common sense but apparently it's lacking. LEOs don't know everything and make mistakes every day, much like in other fields. Difference is, unfortunately, when you guys make them, other ppl (usually innocent) die.

Didn't say anything about hoses or beatdown for BC, merely taking his keys away, seemed like a sensible way to handle it.

Here's a better video, ya, the cop/trooper? yelled at him, and pointed him over to the rear of the car but BC didn't care and gave zero Fs haha, went back to the car to get something (cig?). Also, cop was very silly to place his foot underneath the car when BC was still operating the car and kinda revving it. Gotta be more careful. Later on, if you didn't know better, the cops were treating him as if he was a witness to the crash and just asking him questions lol. Gotta protect themselves and the bystanders much better.

Last edited by tranquility; 04-08-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 03:25 AM   #71
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Apparently his family owns Nike factories in China. I've heard this douche has crashed a BUNCH of expensive cars. Sounds like he needs to learn how to drive and stop drinking also. Sorry to see the car go that way.
It sounds like he's self medicating and has a giant hole in him that needs to be filled. He's an overdose/DUI death waiting to happen. Either he's leading a really good life, or a really shitty one.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:52 AM   #72
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Cliff Notes on this thread: Other minorities were treated badly for other offenses, at other times; so it's bullshit that this minority wasn't treated badly this time. How dare he not be the victim of police brutality! It must be his money!
      04-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #73
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Cliff Notes on this thread: Other minorities were treated badly for other offenses, at other times; so it's bullshit that this minority wasn't treated badly this time. How dare he not be the victim of police brutality! It must be his money!
Not bullshit; just interesting given people have been beatdown by NYPD for much less ie Thabo Sefolosha.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #74
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Not bullshit; just interesting given people have been beatdown by NYPD for much less ie Thabo Sefolosha.
Perhaps the silver lining in this event is people here learn that NYPD doesn't pull their firearms and/or use unnecessary force as often as they think (or want).
      04-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #75
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Need to talk down to me? Again, don't need to be a LEO to use common sense but apparently it's lacking. LEOs don't know everything and make mistakes every day, much like in other fields. Difference is, unfortunately, when you guys make them, other ppl (usually innocent) die.

Didn't say anything about hoses or beatdown for BC, merely taking his keys away, seemed like a sensible way to handle it.

Here's a better video, ya, the cop/trooper? yelled at him, and pointed him over to the rear of the car but BC didn't care and gave zero Fs haha, went back to the car to get something (cig?). Also, cop was very silly to place his foot underneath the car when BC was still operating the car and kinda revving it. Gotta be more careful. Later on, if you didn't know better, the cops were treating him as if he was a witness to the crash and just asking him questions lol. Gotta protect themselves and the bystanders much better.
After watching the video I agree with you that this person was handled too lightly. At 1:17 mark you can see he turns on his car again (fog light turns on) or shifted to Drive, and engine was revved, while police is present. The officer didn't check if he has firearms, he kept his hands in pockets, and was able to go back in his car to fetch something without the police even drawing their pistols.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #76
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This is a car forum that fixates on the oddest things sometimes. Here are some sound bites from this story:

1. Rich waste of life behaves badly during a pandemic
2. Rare, apex supercar wrecked (although I’d argue it was ruined once he took it to Gemballa)
3. Asshole drives like an asshole and crashes right outside a coronavirus hospital (I’m told that’s right in front of the Javits Center)

Yet most (not all) of the posts are about police procedure
Appreciate 1
JDC PDX139.00
      04-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #77
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Here's a case where money and privilege wasn't even hidden in the defense in court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

His case made the term affluenza main stream.
wow that whole family is a piece of shit
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:21 PM   #78
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
This is a car forum that fixates on the oddest things sometimes. Here are some sound bites from this story:

1. Rich waste of life behaves badly during a pandemic
2. Rare, apex supercar wrecked (although I’d argue it was ruined once he took it to Gemballa)
3. Asshole drives like an asshole and crashes right outside a coronavirus hospital (I’m told that’s right in front of the Javits Center)

Yet most (not all) of the posts are about police procedure
American's are used to seeing excessive police force being used. For example: it is common to be immediately put in handcuffs for serious speeding offenses (over 100mph), many times with a gun drawn.

If this had been a 1988 Cutlass with a person of color driving, it wouldnt be unreasonable to think that the level of force would have been much different.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #79
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I am impressed that the car could still be driven after that crash.

Not sure what to think about the how LEO interaction.

That said, Chen is probably not a US Citizen and so it will been interesting if he has to leave the US given will be have a criminal record.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #80
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

According to some unconfirmed news. He was already battling his demons and he was an alcoholic. Apparently his mom and his brother were both killed by the covid-19 which would explain his behaviour.

I don't think he was drunk rather under the influence of drugs.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      04-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #81
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
I am impressed that the car could still be driven after that crash.

Not sure what to think about the how LEO interaction.

That said, Chen is probably not a US Citizen and so it will been interesting if he has to leave the US given will be have a criminal record.
He went to BU and in his 30s so he's had plenty of time to become a citizen.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #82
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
According to some unconfirmed news. He was already battling his demons and he was an alcoholic. Apparently his mom and his brother were both killed by the covid-19 which would explain his behaviour.

I don't think he was drunk rather under the influence of drugs.
Where did you read that about his family? If true it's tragic but so is driving beyond reckless on a populated city street putting other people in danger.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #83
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Where did you read that about his family? If true it's tragic but so is driving beyond reckless on a populated city street putting other people in danger.
there was a screenshot going around on FB. Not sure if there is any truth to it but if there is I do feel for that guy. Although yes it is unexcusable.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:22 AM   #84
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
there was a screenshot going around on FB
      04-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #85
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
https://www.thedrive.com/news/32944/...ving-supercars
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #86
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

LOL. Fucking internet.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #87
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Mistakes were made.

In all honesty I think that's the most baller thing I've ever seen in my life. Smashes a $750k+ car in broad daylight right in the middle of a city gripped by crisis/quarantine, rips off sounding like a glorious F1 car from days past, pieces of shit flying all over the place, then gets out of the car like nothing happened. Not a single fuck given the entire time.

Incredible.
Appreciate 4
JM98391.00
phoenx331.50
      04-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #88
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
How's this for a headline?