BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Drive Recorder

01-23-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
BMW Drive Recorder

I was perusing the BMW ConnectedDrive apps or widgets that can be purchased and found the Drive Recorder. I'm excited about this as I was looking at options for a dash cam and it looks like this app will do the job. Allows for recording from both the front and rear cameras simultaneously for 20 seconds before initialization and 20 seconds after.

Anyone have this app? How do you like it - quality of recordings, ease of operation?

Thanks.

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...Drive_Recorder
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
SouthernYankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 Z4 sdrive30i Misano/Magma

Garage List
Not sure it's available on the Z4. When I look at my connected drive account it says it's not available for purchase. Would be a very cool feature! Though maybe it's because I didn't get the Active Cruise.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
TheFox82
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29

I have active cruise control and the app and can't see it as an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Combatcrew2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4

Well it’s definitely not going to work on my Z4 as there are no cameras.
I did install a Nextbase dash cam though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I've been working through my Owner's Manual (internet version) and a front camera is referenced in the "Sensors of the vehicle" section. It is used to read lane markings for Lane Departure Warning and speed limit and other signs along the road to display the speed limit in the cluster. But I've got no idea whether the video capture module is included in my Z4.

It's a cool feature that I would definitely get. It might be that the convertible models don't have the space to wire it. Once I get set up in ConnectedDrive I'll put my VIN in and see if they offer it to me. I've got the Executive Package and Active Cruise so if it's available for the Z4 it ought to work in mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Need Option Drive Recorder (6DR)

So I found this PDF that seems to be pretty clear that Z4s model year 2019 and later with Live Cockpit Pro could have the Drive Recorder capability if option 6DR is ordered. I couldn't find that option in the ordering guide for G29s!

Oh well, it would have been a major surprise if all we had to do was buy it as a ConnectedDrive app. Maybe at some point that option will be available as a dealer installed option.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ServiceAvailabilityMatrix.pdf (192.6 KB, 3109 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
So I found this PDF that seems to be pretty clear that Z4s model year 2019 and later with Live Cockpit Pro could have the Drive Recorder capability if option 6DR is ordered. I couldn't find that option in the ordering guide for G29s!

Oh well, it would have been a major surprise if all we had to do was buy it as a ConnectedDrive app. Maybe at some point that option will be available as a dealer installed option.
Thanks...

When I log in to that page, it tells me that the drive recorder is not available for my Z4. 2020 M40i fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

I believe that the option was only available if you have the 360degree parking camera. There would be a button beside the drive selector which is blank in the Z4 as it's not possible to select it as an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #9
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerOneNI View Post
I believe that the option was only available if you have the 360degree parking camera. There would be a button beside the drive selector which is blank in the Z4 as it's not possible to select it as an option.
I don't think that I would trust it to be a suitable replacement for an actual dashcam.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerOneNI View Post
Software, software, software... I would bet dollars to donuts that it will be an option in the future even without the 360 degree cameras. I'm pretty sure that I have a front camera and I know I have a rear camera so they just need to code it to record those two instead of the four. They wouldn't even need a hard-drive as it could be uploaded to the cloud real-time.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #11
TheGingerOneNI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Software, software, software... I would bet dollars to donuts that it will be an option in the future even without the 360 degree cameras. I'm pretty sure that I have a front camera and I know I have a rear camera so they just need to code it to record those two instead of the four. They wouldn't even need a hard-drive as it could be uploaded to the cloud real-time.
I would rather use the cars fitted cameras too. I'm surprised that it's not available on the Z4 yet either. Any of the BMW YouTube guide videos state that it's only available for cars with the 360degree camera at present. I'm hoping that will change sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0