BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 reliability so far

12-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #23
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Most recent issue: Was entering a highway, and experienced sudden acceleration issues, CEL, and drivetrain warning (cont. driving still possible). The looks of pity that other cars gave me as they sped by me . . .Car was really shuddering and wouldn't downshift to 1st or 2nd at stoplights, and something was obviously and badly wrong. Luckily, the fully booked dealer heard my whines and rearranged some work to slip me in, after giving me a loaner so that I could get some lunch without uber-ing. (again, thank you, CS BMW)

The tech found a spark plug with a broken ground electrode, and the plug was missing the washer / gasket (the interwebs informs me that the missing washer may have contributed to causation). Cylinder scoped out clean, swapped 4 plugs, and changed out the oil. A broken spark plug certainly wasn't the first thing I thought of when the car objected to my right foot.

Both plugs came out of the car, you can obviously see the one with the issue.

Also on the lucky-list:
Replaced top (broken strap thingie)
Replaced dash (bubbles)
AC compressor (broken shaft, also has to do all ac lines and condenser)
Water pump (done at same time as AC, there was evidence of a leak, but sorta preventative maintenance--but there was a leak)
Several odd electrical issues at diff times (alarm, windows, AC, HUD, and etc, let's just leave it at several . . .)

Love the car, but mine is the least reliable car that I have, in my limited experience (lots of mileage driven, but not a new car every 1-3 years), owned. Will I unhesitatingly buy another--YES, but I am under no illusion as to my experience with legendary BMW reliability. 93k+ miles on my 2019.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #24
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat30i View Post
Most recent issue: Was entering a highway, and experienced sudden acceleration issues, CEL, and drivetrain warning (cont. driving still possible). The looks of pity that other cars gave me as they sped by me . . .Car was really shuddering and wouldn't downshift to 1st or 2nd at stoplights, and something was obviously and badly wrong. Luckily, the fully booked dealer heard my whines and rearranged some work to slip me in, after giving me a loaner so that I could get some lunch without uber-ing. (again, thank you, CS BMW)

The tech found a spark plug with a broken ground electrode, and the plug was missing the washer / gasket (the interwebs informs me that the missing washer may have contributed to causation). Cylinder scoped out clean, swapped 4 plugs, and changed out the oil. A broken spark plug certainly wasn't the first thing I thought of when the car objected to my right foot.

Also on the lucky-list:
Replaced dash (bubbles)
Water pump (done at same time as AC, there was evidence of a leak, but sorta preventative maintenance—but there was a leak)
Several odd electrical issues at diff times (alarm, windows, AC, HUD, and etc, let's just leave it at several . . .)

Love the car, but mine is the least reliable car that I have, in my limited experience (lots of mileage driven, but not a new car [...]
That is a lot of miles!
Sucks about the bad luck with your Z4, hopefully smoother roads ahead.

With 93k miles when the spark plug failed, did you happen to find out when the suggested replacement time is? 100k miles?
Appreciate 1
Mastakko181.00
      12-09-2023, 10:48 PM   #25
goat30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
That is a lot of miles!
Sucks about the bad luck with your Z4, hopefully smoother roads ahead.

With 93k miles when the spark plug failed, did you happen to find out when the suggested replacement time is? 100k miles?
I changed first time at 45k miles, per recommendations of the car, but I didn't get same recommendation at 90k even, rather it would have been 95k, it appears . . .

My interwebs searching does find a few instances of plugs missing their gasket / washer straight out of the box, and I would recommend mentioned to your SA / Tech when time comes to replace.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 11:11 PM   #26
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:

Also on the lucky-list:
Replaced dash (bubbles)
Water pump (done at same time as AC, there was evidence of a leak, but sorta preventative maintenance--but there was a leak)

Love the car, but mine is the least reliable car that I have, in my limited experience (lots of mileage driven, but not a new car every 1-3 years), owned. Will I unhesitatingly buy another--YES, but I am under no illusion as to my experience with legendary BMW reliability. 93k+ miles on my 2019.
Let's hope (for the rest of us) that it's just the notorious plight of first new model year vehicles.
Appreciate 5
goat30i146.00
stlcdr1014.50
Balr14558.50
      12-10-2023, 10:45 AM   #27
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Let's hope (for the rest of us) that it's just the notorious plight of first new model year vehicles.
That's kind of what I was thinking, too. But, I was only concerned about the reliability of my Z4 for about 30k miles.
Appreciate 3
StanDiego6248.50
goat30i146.00
      12-10-2023, 11:53 PM   #28
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Also on the lucky-list:
Replaced dash (bubbles)
Water pump (done at same time as AC, there was evidence of a leak, but sorta preventative maintenance—but there was a leak)

Love the car, but mine is the least reliable car that I have, in my limited experience (lots of mileage driven, but not a new car [...]
Did they find the rest of that spark plug? Having it moving around in the crankshaft and valves is definitely not good.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 03:32 PM   #29
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
I had a minor buzzing/rattling behind the drivers side dashboard early on that was resolved at my annual service appointment, otherwise it’s been 29 trouble free months.
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00