BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW U.S. August Sales Up by 45 Percent

09-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #45
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Maybe because the constant bitching about dilution is not actually over-whelming and only comes from a small percentage of the BMW population.

This forum =/= the entire world, or even all BMW buyers.
BMW is trying to beat MB in selling to the Toyota crowd by cheap leases, and making cars like the X1. This dilutes the brand because you will see a BMW on every corner. Now BMW is putting M badges on these cars with M bodykits. This also dilutes the M brand.
If you see one at every corner it will no longer be special and would make it feel like a Toyota. Just like in Germany they use the E-class as a Taxi and we all made fun of MB as being a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
From a pure business standpoint, this is impressive, but unless you’re simply a shareholder, I’m not sure why everyone gets so excited over news like this.

It doesn't correlate with the overwhelming number of complaints regarding brand dilution, whoring out the M badge, and in general, BMW losing its way as the ultimate driving machine.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
How did we get 45% more sales than last years and still MB beat us,
IS MB cooking their numbers?
Read the link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Please tell us the manufacturers who don't use this method.
Here is a link explaining how BMW rigged the sales numbers

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-u-s-last-year
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #46
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

interesting that x1, x3 and x5 sales are starting to all equal each other over time. not too long ago, the x5 was the only real sales factor regarding SUVs for the bmw brand. This means one of 3 things is happening (or all 3):

1) Americans are finally ok with downsizing vehicles
2) BMW has been sequentially inflating size on new model introduction, creating new size segments
3) 'Larger' BMW models are simply getting too damn expensive and the consumer public isn't willing to keep shelling out 3-5% price increases every year (exceeding inflation by a lot).
      09-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #47
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
interesting that x1, x3 and x5 sales are starting to all equal each other over time. not too long ago, the x5 was the only real sales factor regarding SUVs for the bmw brand. This means one of 3 things is happening (or all 3):

1) Americans are finally ok with downsizing vehicles
2) BMW has been sequentially inflating size on new model introduction, creating new size segments
3) 'Larger' BMW models are simply getting too damn expensive and the consumer public isn't willing to keep shelling out 3-5% price increases every year (exceeding inflation by a lot).
I'll volunteer a 4th option:
4) Americans have continued to move from the 3er and 5er to the X1 and X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #48
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Damn more and more BMWs on the road, its becoming common like a domestic car?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #49
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Now BMW is putting M badges on these cars with M bodykits. This also dilutes the M brand.
I really hate this line. It shows a lack of knowledge of history.

The MSport packs in the US have no exterior M badges-if you see an M badge on the fender in shots, it's not a US car. They have the M logo on the wheels because they are 400 or 403M wheels.

BMW has had M badged trim levels for decades, the M-Technic for example was around on the E30, the E36 had an M treatment to the 318TI for example-from the front you could not tell one from an M3.

So it is a fallacy to claim that just NOW M is being diluted by this treatment.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW
Quote:
Maybe because the constant bitching about dilution is not actually over-whelming and only comes from a small percentage of the BMW population.

This forum =/= the entire world, or even all BMW buyers.
BMW is trying to beat MB in selling to the Toyota crowd by cheap leases, and making cars like the X1. This dilutes the brand because you will see a BMW on every corner. Now BMW is putting M badges on these cars with M bodykits. This also dilutes the M brand.
If you see one at every corner it will no longer be special and would make it feel like a Toyota. Just like in Germany they use the E-class as a Taxi and we all made fun of MB as being a taxi.
BMW has to create a 600% increase in sales to catch up with Toyota, I wouldn't worry about them being that common to soon.

And really, one day you should come to Europe, maybe get a feel for how the automotive world is outside America, I think you would find it an eye opener.

Last edited by Matski; 09-05-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #51
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The X1 is a smash hit obviously. In part, because of the price point.

But sadly, because outside of the current M3, 1 series, and 335is, it is pathetically the best-driving BMW available. I dropped 50k on mine; could have bought a 335i easily. But it handled like shit and felt cheap compared to the X1. I drove a 328 for three months as a loaner car and was so happy to be back in the X1. It's the best of both worlds - e9x chassis, hydraulic steering, with a current N55 engine, identical weight to a 335xi, and new car warranty.

I think it's very sad that BMW has gotten to the point where a entry-level SAV drives better than the iconic 3 series does.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

SUBARU had very similar sales numbers
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #53
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Now BMW is putting M badges on these cars with M bodykits. This also dilutes the M brand.
I really hate this line. It shows a lack of knowledge of history.

The MSport packs in the US have no exterior M badges-if you see an M badge on the fender in shots, it's not a US car. They have the M logo on the wheels because they are 400 or 403M wheels.

BMW has had M badged trim levels for decades, the M-Technic for example was around on the E30, the E36 had an M treatment to the 318TI for example-from the front you could not tell one from an M3.

So it is a fallacy to claim that just NOW M is being diluted by this treatment.
I agree although its more highly available now then before on more models. My 2001 E38 has the msport pack with M Parallel wheels and M steering wheel (complete with stickers).
      09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #54
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I agree although its more highly available now then before on more models. My 2001 E38 has the msport pack with M Parallel wheels and M steering wheel (complete with stickers).
Is it MORE available now?

For most any model in say 2001, whether is E46, E39(M-Sport) or 740 Sport, all could be had with M Pack goodies with similar stickers.

I don't think it's a bad thing until you get into exterior badges of M on the body itself. That is where I draw the line.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Maybe in Europe, the ZHP was the first US e46 with an M type sport pack and that was in 2005. The e92 really didn't have anything until the IS versions. Sure you could order MTech bumpers but its not a cohesive package like it is in every BMW line today.
      09-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #56
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Cracks me up that the x1 is considered a "car" and not a "light truck."

Congrats BMW, 3, 5 and x1 are kicking some ass!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #57
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe in Europe, the ZHP was the first US e46 with an M type sport pack and that was in 2005. The e92 really didn't have anything until the IS versions. Sure you could order MTech bumpers but its not a cohesive package like it is in every BMW line today.
Pretty sure you could get M logo wheels, steering wheels and shift knob on the E46,and the E90/E92 had an MSport pack too.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #58
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Pretty sure you could get M logo wheels, steering wheels and shift knob on the E46,and the E90/E92 had an MSport pack too.
The wheels on the e46 yes, not the shifter or the steering wheel until the ZHP. The M sport pack came later into the e9x production. They had things here and there but it was never like all the F series where you could basically get them as a package all out of the gate. I'm agreeing with you though I don't mind them at all as long as the badge isn't on the trunk.
      09-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #59
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
BMW has to create a 600% increase in sales to catch up with Toyota, I wouldn't worry about them being that common to soon.

And really, one day you should come to Europe, maybe get a feel for how the automotive world is outside America, I think you would find it an eye opener.
I have been to Europe many times and I do understand that the German cars are like Toyota in NA, but in NA these brands are priced at a premium and are considered luxury brands hence if you start moving the brand down market it will no longer keep its cache. This applies to Audi, MB and BMW who seem like hell bent on selling to every single niche in the market.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #60
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
That's awesome news... Just bought an '06 330xi 4D yesterday... Albeit a little bit behind in time but I guess I still kinda rode the trend ;-)
Appreciate 0