BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion The BMW Steering Conspracy

09-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
DomDK
All Natural
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Dun dun dun

So today I was thinking about the future of BMW and whether or not I would be interested in the purchase of a Z1 if it was attractively styled and had good dynamics. Lately I've been pondering leasing a Mini Cooper S since I live between two big cities. After I took a test drive and was impressed by the front wheel drive, and the car on the whole. With the announcement of a potential Z1 I reconsidered whether I would be interested in having a model like that. I love rear wheel drive and how much steering feel this allows BMW to give us but then I had a thought.

With recent models having sub par brand steering, could BMW be preparing us for the worst. They have been getting us ready for the steering feel their future FWD cars will have. Why would they do this? They are just getting us ready- maybe by the time the fwd models come out they will have improved the steering enough for us to say "well it's better then the F30" and so on.

Could this be the beginning of the end? Let me know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I am not so sure it is a planned agenda. I think they feel like their target market buyers are less interested in steering feel and more interested in luxury feel and softer rides and no noise coming through the steering wheel.

In other words I could care less at this point. If BMW is not gonna pay attention to things that made it the better choice over other luxury car makers and wants to imitate them with diminished steering feel and overall less sporty cars with softer nature.

As for right now there is not a single car in BMW's all new redesigned models that excites me. Next car of mine might not be a BMW after more then a decade of BMW's.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I am not so sure it is a planned agenda. I think they feel like their target market buyers are less interested in steering feel and more interested in luxury feel and softer rides and no noise coming through the steering wheel.

In other words I could care less at this point. If BMW is not gonna pay attention to things that made it the better choice over other luxury car makers and wants to imitate them with diminished steering feel and overall less sporty cars with softer nature.

As for right now there is not a single car in BMW's all new redesigned models that excites me. Next car of mine might not be a BMW after more then a decade of BMW's.
+1. BMW just doesn't give a flying duck any more. Its pretty clear that Reithofer (and a majority of the board) is a transportation enthusiast rather than a driving enthusiast.

I am hedging my faith in BMW on the 2er. If it is even slightly disappointing I am done 100% with BMW. Well new ones at least. I might continue to buy models released before 2009.
Appreciate 0