BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW M5 w/ Competition Package??

08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

BMW M5 w/ Competition Package??

I have been checking out the M5 on BMW's site and noticed something new........A Competition Package.......for $7,300!!! Now BMW doesn't say what the package comes with, other than a different choice in wheels. I imagine that it would also come with EDC but for $7300 that's steep especially since I doubt most M5 owners would ever take their cars on the track. I get a Comp. Pack. on an M3 and even an M6 but not the M5. Does anyone else know what this expensive package also come with?

Update.........The Package comes with New Wheels, EDC Programming and new Engine software that bumps HP to 570 and TQ unchanged. I guess BMW is really following MB AMG's business model, offer an AMG/M version of every model, make sure there's room for improvement so they can charge you more for a "Performance/Competition Package" with only slight differences in HP, Handling and Feel. I bet you can buy a Standard M5 and do all the upgrades for well under $7300. Of course then your warranty goes out the window.

Last edited by JVP13; 08-30-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I've driven it. The HP difference is imperceptible, the ride quality is worse, there is a slight improvement in steering and body roll. The new wheels are cast as opposed to forged and heavier than the non-CP forged 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I've driven it. The HP difference is imperceptible, the ride quality is worse, there is a slight improvement in steering and body roll. The new wheels are cast as opposed to forged and heavier than the non-CP forged 20" wheels.
I hate the new wheels. Not concave at all like the 343's, and looks too Mercedes. Why the hell would they opt for a heavier cast wheel on a competition pack?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It makes no sense. I love the M5 but a Comp Pack? Leave it as an ultra performance luxury sedan. That's what it is. The M6 doesn't even have the Comp Pack option, now it would make a little more sense on the M6 right? I don't get BMW's plan these days. M badging cars that don't deserve it, adding options on cars that don't need the option and not having the option on cars that do, and soon there will be an M model for every series. And the worse part about it is the M cars are now going to be completely based on series engines. Doesn't sound special anymore. Monetarily it makes sense but why mess with M division? Seems like BMW and Mercedes are switching places, now AMG builds their own engines for AMG cars, but BMW is modifying series engines for their M cars. Used to be the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3
Quote:
It makes no sense. I love the M5 but a Comp Pack? Leave it as an ultra performance luxury sedan. That's what it is. The M6 doesn't even have the Comp Pack option, now it would make a little more sense on the M6 right? I don't get BMW's plan these days. M badging cars that don't deserve it, adding options on cars that don't need the option and not having the option on cars that do, and soon there will be an M model for every series. And the worse part about it is the M cars are now going to be completely based on series engines. Doesn't sound special anymore. Monetarily it makes sense but why mess with M division?
You just went off the reservation here. Do your homework.

If Porsche can make a luxury high performance Sedan so can BMW M.

And these aren't series engines. Layout is different, block is different, V is different, rpm range is different, cooling is different. If you mean it's a V8 so it must be a series engine, you could say same thing about the last m3.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You just went off the reservation here. Do your homework.

If Porsche can make a luxury high performance Sedan so can BMW M.

And these aren't series engines. Layout is different, block is different, V is different, rpm range is different, cooling is different. If you mean it's a V8 so it must be a series engine, you could say same thing about the last m3.
FIRST What are you talking about the 4.0 V8 in M3's was ONLY in M3's. SECOND I said the M5 IS a ultra performance luxury sedan!!! FINALLY I was saying the 4.4 V8 is in a bunch of BMW's. 4.4-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 445-hp engine; combines two turbochargers with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection is in EVERY NON-M V8 CAR/SUV. And the M models are 4.4-liter, BMW M TwinPower Turbo 32-valve 560-hp V-8, engine. Combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection is in EVERY M CAR AVAILABLE AT THIS MOMENT JULY/2013 SANS, M3 VERT. And this is straight from BMW's site. The main difference here is boost, mapping and HP/TQ. Next you're gonna say the N55 in a 335i is a different engine than the one in the 535i????

Last edited by JVP13; 08-31-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

lol at the fanboys doing damage control and failing at reading comprehension.

The next M3/4 won't have a unique M engine it will be a tuned 3 series engine. That's what he was saying.
Appreciate 0