BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Video: importance of angel eyes to bmw design and DNA

09-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
///M_Power
BBS Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BSM 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit328 View Post
Yea that's bullshit, me neither and BMW doesn't give 2 fucks. BMW take a clue no one likes your halogen bulbs at all.
it's all about the benjamins..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Angel eyes are so important to the brand that they decided the i vehicles wood look better without them.
The video guy said:
"some of these have been abandoned through management stupidity, boredom, and occasionally even logical well thought out reasons"

As soon as I started watching this video, I thought about the BMW i brand and how idiotic the BMW is. As soon as the video guy said the above quote, I started laughing

edit: spell check, oops

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 09-05-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
///M_Power
BBS Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BSM 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
The video guy said:
"someone these have been abandoned through management stupidity, boredom, and occasionally even logical well thoughout reasons"

As soon as I started watching this video, I thought about the BMW i brand and how idiotic the BMW is. As soon as the video guy said the above quote, I started laughing
this may leave something on the table, possibly for an LCI a few years down the road?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Quote:
Yea that's bullshit, me neither and BMW doesn't give 2 fucks. BMW take a clue no one likes your halogen bulbs at all.

Don't order Halogen lights then.

__

Edit: BMW i vehicles will not receive corona rings. The front facia / light design for BMW i is and will stay the U shape, not a double round.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

(OO=[ ][ ]=OO)

Unmistakable...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

If they're so important to the brand then why don't all their vehicles come with them standard regardless of xenons, halogen, etc. lame.
      09-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
The video guy said:
"someone these have been abandoned through management stupidity, boredom, and occasionally even logical well thoughout reasons"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_Power View Post
this may leave something on the table, possibly for an LCI a few years down the road?
I think they deliberately differentiated the i vehicles this way. Which is dumb because there already are enough specific design features to set the i range apart, it wasn't necessary to get rid of such a fundamental DNA element. The i8 would have looked great with double coronas instead of the more mainstream single LED stripe à la Audi that they have finally chosen.

Last edited by advantage20; 09-05-2013 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I think they deliberately differentiated the i vehicles this way. Which is dumb because there already are enough specific design features to set the i range apart, it wasn't necessary to get rid of such a fundamental DNA element. The i8 would have looked great with double coronas instead of the more mainstream single LED stripe à la Audi that they have finally chosen.
As soon as I saw the video, the very first thought was Audi. Second thought was how dumb are people at BMW.

I'm waiting for Scott's usual BS/nonsense about why the geniuses at BMW chose to get rid of what I consider the single most important design feature of BMW today (emphasis on today, I understand kidney grills and hofmeister kink are older)

A few months ago, his BS was that BMW wanted to differentiate i from regular BMW or something. Makes absolutely zero sense to me. You can do that without getting rid of "corona rings," kidney grills, or hofmeister kink
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #31
Amit328
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine white '13 f30 m exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe
Quote:

Don't order Halogen lights then.

__

Edit: BMW i vehicles will not receive corona rings. The front facia / light design for BMW i is and will stay the U shape, not a double round.
I got it off them lot and its my first bmw. Biggest mistake that i didn't pay more attention especially since I ordered the cf interior and spoiler as well as mperf exhaust, however I almost have 30,000 on my f30 and can't wait to swap it after 20k more miles and I haven't even had it a year. If it had angel eyes id probably keep it and extend my warranty. I know the i vehicles don't have angel eyes but I also don't really want an i3 at all, i8 is different story and league.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #32
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
As soon as I saw the video, the very first thought was Audi. Second thought was how dumb are people at BMW.

I'm waiting for Scott's usual BS/nonsense about why the geniuses at BMW chose to get rid of what I consider the single most important design feature of BMW today (emphasis on today, I understand kidney grills and hofmeister kink are older)

A few months ago, his BS was that BMW wanted to differentiate i from regular BMW or something. Makes absolutely zero sense to me. You can do that without getting rid of "corona rings," kidney grills, or hofmeister kink
You called me out and I will answer... The BMWi cars use a new interpretation of the typical BMW corona. This time they are stacked you have the outer shape and an inner shape inside the light unit. It is only right that BMW interpret their design elements differently as there are far too many manufacturers adopting BMW design cues , they might change one element but those who are familiar with BMW will recognise immediately.
      09-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #33
edev
Private
Rep
Drives: S/C E39 M5, Z3 M Coupe, e12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You called me out and I will answer... The BMWi cars use a new interpretation of the typical BMW corona. This time they are stacked you have the outer shape and an inner shape inside the light unit. It is only right that BMW interpret their design elements differently as there are far too many manufacturers adopting BMW design cues , they might change one element but those who are familiar with BMW will recognise immediately.
Scott, are you able to shoot me a PM? I have a question, but your inbox is full.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #34
DSTJ99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 40i - Tanzanite/Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1803 View Post
i wish i could have gotten them. but i got the sunroof instead. i love having the sunroof. but thats my only regret was not getting the angle eye's.
Ditto...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Actually he forgot to mention the front kidneys.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

This is a response to all the geniuses on here saying that BMW was stupid not to use the angel eyes on the i cars, (I can't insert the number of quotes nor do I have the patience to on this comment) BMW didn't always use double headlights in their models. I've included a few examples on here for your education.

Name:  1973_BMW_2002_Flared_and_Restored_Black_Front_1.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  BMW-E21-3-Series-in-a-row-1024x640.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  150.7 KB

I think BMW was smart to give the i vehicles their own identity while still retaining the most visual BMW design clue, the kidney grills.

Last edited by BMWRL; 09-05-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Sounds and looks dumb.

It will still have the laser headlight right? Or is that being pulled as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #38
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL530xit View Post
This is a response to all the geniuses on here saying that BMW was stupid not to use the angel eyes on the i cars, (I can't insert the number of quotes nor do I have the patience to on this comment) BMW didn't always use double headlights in their models. I've included a few examples on here for your education.

I think BMW was smart to give the i vehicles their own identity while still retaining the most visual BMW design clue, the kidney grills.
This is like saying Hofmeister kink wasn't around until 1960s so we can get rid of them. Kidney grills weren't always around until 1930s so we can get rid of them.

BMW didn't always use Hofmeister kinks or kidney grills in their models, either, if you must say we did not always used corona lights or double round headlamps

Double round headlamps were quite common in the 80s. BMW reinterpreted that in the 90s with E36 with double rounds in a rectangle which was revolutionary and became a BMW design element to go along with the kidney grills and hofmeister kink and in my PERSONAL OPINION, corona lights define BMW more than kidney grills or Hofmeister kink. Within auto industry or between car enthusiasts? maybe not. But I believe the general public (90% of people) thinks BMW = corona lights, today.

I think BMW should've kept kidney grills, Hofmeister kink as they did, but as well as corona lights. Just my own opinion, pal

I was sooo proud, that while EVERYBODY is copying Audi with LED lights, we had our own shape and design. Until ....

Last edited by sonicbimmer19; 09-06-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S
I love the appearence of angel eyes, it is an absolute unique and distinctive brand recognition item.

Speaking of which, I have noticed that the rearview appearence of white angel eyes is not so unique then it was when they were amber/golden.

It seems to me that the white light emitted from newer Angeleyes kind of blur out when they re in distance, while the golden/yellow ones arent.

I have noticed that last evening, when I passed an F30 which was driving on the right lane while I was being followed by an E90.

When the E90 was right next to F30 and I was about 150meters ahead of them I still could clearly see the Ringshape of the E90s AA while the AAs from the F30 kind of blurred out and all I saw was 2 white clouds....

What you guys think is it designwise or does it have to do with the different light energy emmited from LED and Halogen lamps?
I noticed this too, it's got to be a difference in wattage to the led considering the lux led upgrade on an e82 I've seen in person made the rings undefined at distance like the new LEDs are. I actually prefer the cleaner more pronounced amber ring for the clarity, but that's just personal preference.
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0
(OO=[ ][ ]=OO)

Unmistakable...
Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S View Post
It seems to me that the white light emitted from newer Angeleyes kind of blur out when they re in distance, while the golden/yellow ones arent.

What you guys think is it designwise or does it have to do with the different light energy emmited from LED and Halogen lamps?
Cooler (blue) light produces more glare to the human eye than warm (orange/red) light. Intensity can also produce blurry perception. I'm not sure if the LEDs are actually higher intensity but cooler light of the same intensity will be perceived as higher than its warm counterpart.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

I love those halos when I got rid of my f10 and got a benzo (don't ask why I'm stupid) that's the thing I missed most pulling up in back of a car and seeing those angel eyes they do so much for the car I don't understand how some pass on them it's well worth the money to me
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

What I hate is I'm now seeing them on Camaros and Mustangs....
      09-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #44
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S View Post
I love the appearence of angel eyes, it is an absolute unique and distinctive brand recognition item.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0