BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW drivers get bad reps, but sometimes they can be courteous

03-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #45
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Sadly I've noticed people seem to go out of their way to drive like an asshole around me now that I have a BMW. I'm a courteous driver 99% of the time, but the amount of times I've been cut off, or have someone next to me speed up and pace when I'm trying to get over is getting out of hand.
And ride on my tail. There was a truck on my tail this morning on the expressway, so close that I could not see his headlights! Usually I slow to the exact speed limit in that case and let them go around, but before I could, he spotted a space to my right and roared around me. Jeez, fella, get up two minutes earlier if you're late for work, huh?

I use my turn signals (the bad rap on BMW drivers, I hear, is that they don't know where the turn signal stalk is) and try to be as courteous as I can.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      03-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #46
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Years ago (60's) when driving through Texas I remember my parents marveling at the level of courtesy exhibited by Texas drivers. I remember if they saw you coming up behind them they would pull all the way off the road to let you pass them. I bet it's not like that now.
Texas drivers drive FAST. But if they pass you on a two-lane road, they do get completely clear of your front bumper, and a reasonable distance ahead, before they cut back over.

Or did when I last drove there in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #47
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
I've scared myself a couple of times when this happens to me. It's like sleepwalking, I'll sort of snap out of it and wonder "How am I here already?" and sometimes I even stress myself thinking about if I ran a red light or rolled through a stop sign in that period. The only time I'll remember is if I witness something interesting or really bad driving and bring it up in the call.
I try not to answer or place calls when I'm driving. Too distracting, even if I did it hands free. If it's important enough for me to answer, it's important enough for me to find a spot in a parking lot for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0