BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Windows is looking more and more like Mac

02-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Windows is looking more and more like Mac

So I installed the latest build of Windows 7 and it's looking more and more like Mac. They combined the task bar and the quick launch toolbar into one, so it looks like MacOS. Then, they added this really cheesy button in the bottom right to make all your desktop window to become transparent. Of course, the Aero desktop is alive and well and you can Windows+Tab to scroll through windows just like Vista.

Discuss.
Attached Images

02-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

sorta.

everything's shinier, if that's possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
i hate vista....just mac wannabe...
      02-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
i hate vista....just mac wannabe...
it's weird...i hate macs...they're for people who just try too hard to be cooler than they actually are. aside from people who need the Mac for its media editing software, owning a mac just so a person can say they own a mac and that its better than PC doesn't make a person cool.

not hating on you, I just think the entire 'hey I own a Mac therefore I'm original and creative (unlike the countless millions who also bought a Mac for the same self-branding reason)' is ridiculous.

all that being said, Mac's operating software is very good, better than Vista in terms of user friendliness. It only makes sense that MS would try to emulate the things Leopard/Tiger does better than Vista. recognizing your flaws and improving on them is a mark of progress. I'm glad they're doing it, without the douchebag commercials too.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling_singh View Post
it's weird...i hate macs...they're for people who just try too hard to be cooler than they actually are. aside from people who need the Mac for its media editing software, owning a mac just so a person can say they own a mac and that its better than PC doesn't make a person cool.

not hating on you, I just think the entire 'hey I own a Mac therefore I'm original and creative (unlike the countless millions who also bought a Mac for the same self-branding reason)' is ridiculous.

all that being said, Mac's operating software is very good, better than Vista in terms of user friendliness. It only makes sense that MS would try to emulate the things Leopard/Tiger does better than Vista. recognizing your flaws and improving on them is a mark of progress. I'm glad they're doing it, without the douchebag commercials too.
hmmm...i didnt know owning a mac is supposed to make me "cooler"
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

holy shit..i need to go buy a mac
      02-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
holy shit..i need to go buy a mac
yeah then you can be cool like me...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
yeah then you can be cool like me...
oh yay
      02-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling_singh View Post

Lol no it's for people that don't want to have to worry about random crashes, viruses, and don't need to know computer programming to operate a pc.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Lol no it's for people that don't want to have to worry about random crashes, viruses, and don't need to know computer programming to operate a pc.
You mean computer illiterate poeple.

Seriously though, I don't like Mac's because I like to build my own machine. Cheaper to boot. Any problems that would fall under the area of random crashes or viruses are almost 100% user induced. There are millions of ways a user could mess up their own machine and I can guarantee 90% of the poeple that complain about their computer sucking or crashing haven't reformatted or conducted proper system maintenance in a long time. Which only further strengthens the point of the computer illitrate complaining about computer issues.

The only reason Mac's don't have viruses is because 90% of the world still uses Windows. Programming a virus for Macs just doesn't get the same bang for the time spent. You guys should be detering more poeple from getting them, not encouraging it. The bigger the market share gets the more issues you'll have in the future.

And I don't mean to sound a bit elitist, but if you can't use windows you need to go to school or take a class somewhere. Or just ask a friend to teach you. Operating windows is the very basics of computer interface and general program usage (ie, tabs, options, configurations, etc). Poeple that can't adequately navigate through Control Panel on a Vista/XP machine are the outliers. The only real reason to get a Mac over a PC of any type is simply because you like the styling, music manipulation, and maybe for better non comercial grade graphics/video editing. I believe anything at the commercial/professional/corporate level or higher would be produced on a PC though. At the very least for the broaden range of compatability. If you want a truely powerful performing Mac, get ready to shell out the $$$$.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 02-23-2009 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
So I installed the latest build of Windows 7 and it's looking more and more like Mac. They combined the task bar and the quick launch toolbar into one, so it looks like MacOS. Then, they added this really cheesy button in the bottom right to make all your desktop window to become transparent. Of course, the Aero desktop is alive and well and you can Windows+Tab to scroll through windows just like Vista.

Discuss.
In reference to the OP. I'd say OSX is becaming equally similar to Windows as well.

The File/Edit/View etc. bar at the top of each window was a windows trademark that Mac OS adopted a while ago.

I personally feel like Windows 7 looks alot more crisper. Not nearly as bubbly, at least going by the screenshots posted in the OP.
      02-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
In reference to the OP. I'd say OSX is becaming equally similar to Windows as well.

The File/Edit/View etc. bar at the top of each window was a windows trademark that Mac OS adopted a while ago.

I personally feel like Windows 7 looks alot more crisper. Not nearly as bubbly, at least going by the screenshots posted in the OP.

I hate to tell you, but that's not a screenshot of OS X. That's Ubuntu dressed up to look like OS X.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:

Seriously though, I don't like Mac's because I like to build my own machine. Cheaper to boot. Any problems that would fall under the area of random crashes or viruses are almost 100% user induced. There are millions of ways a user could mess up their own machine and I can guarantee 90% of the poeple that complain about their computer sucking or crashing haven't reformatted or conducted proper system maintenance in a long time. Which only further strengthens the point of the computer illitrate complaining about computer issues.

The only reason Mac's don't have viruses is because 90% of the world still uses Windows. Programming a virus for Macs just doesn't get the same bang for the time spent. You guys should be detering more poeple from getting them, not encouraging it. The bigger the market share gets the more issues you'll have in the future.

And I don't mean to sound a bit elitist, but if you can't use windows you need to go to school or take a class somewhere. Or just ask a friend to teach you. Operating windows is the very basics of computer interface and general program usage (ie, tabs, options, configurations, etc). Poeple that can't adequately navigate through Control Panel on a Vista/XP machine are the outliers. The only real reason to get a Mac over a PC of any type is simply because you like the styling, music manipulation, and maybe for better non comercial grade graphics/video editing. I believe anything at the commercial/professional/corporate level or higher would be produced on a PC though. At the very least for the broaden range of compatability. If you want a truely powerful performing Mac, get ready to shell out the $$$$.
Trust me I know what you are saying.. I was exactly like you a year ago. Built my own PC, maintained it regularly, kept it virus free and everything. I was forced to buy a mac and I'm glad it happened. I will not go back to windows anytime soon. Believe it or not, the operating system on the mac is much more complex and better thought out than windows. If you leave your computer on, it maintains itself. Deletes old temporary files, defrags and everything so you don't have to worry about it. You don't have to worry about a lot of things with OSX which one would think every computer should have. After using the mac, I realized the Apple engineers have a lot more common sense than the ones at Microsoft. Who wants to waste time looking for drivers, setting up bios, maintaing for hours so you can have it run normal.

It is honestly like going from an american car to a german car. All I can say is try it out with an open mind. If you dont like it, install windows on it and run it faster than any other laptop

Oh and by the way, thats not OSX in the screenshot you posted lol

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:

I'm typing this on my Windows 7 beta, not my Mac. Let me tell you a little story. It happened about two years ago. I was running XP SP2 at that time. All of a sudden, the system crashed beyond repair / restore, a couple days before my exam week of Pathology, Pharmacology, and Microbiology. I wasted an all-nighter trying to fix the PC so that I can look at the path slides online. I ended up ordering an MBP and it worked like a champ.

I have been building computers as a hobby since 1992, and worked as a part time builder during high school. I have built all my systems including the one that crashed on me. I used to run a U320 SCSI RAID 5 arrays on this machine as well. I consider my computer knowledge to be more advanced than most regular users out there. I like to o/c my own system and tweak it to the way I like it, but it has gotten to a point of diminishing margin of return. As a med student and soon to be resident, I really don't have the time and energy to deal with the B/S of an M$ system. I can tell you that the Windows 7 has crashed on me more than 5 times over the weekend. ACDSee9 will frequently crash when I try to paste CT image screen shots to create new files. It was just frustrating. Also, the computers crash so often at work (they have limited privileges, so you can't install anything on them), and we have lost countless admission H&P and discharge summaries on the work computers. The reason why I still have to use the PC is that Centricity PACS, Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager, and GE Healthcare Office EMR do not support anything but Internet Explorer. Everyone is frustrated at work regarding how crappy the OS is.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
I hate to tell you, but that's not a screenshot of OS X. That's Ubuntu dressed up to look like OS X.
at least copy and paste something more legit than Windows dressed up as OS X.
      02-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not windows, Ubuntu. It's a linux distribution. I agree with most of the rest of your post however.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Trust me I know what you are saying.. I was exactly like you a year ago. Built my own PC, maintained it regularly, kept it virus free and everything. I was forced to buy a mac and I'm glad it happened. I will not go back to windows anytime soon. Believe it or not, the operating system on the mac is much more complex and better thought out than windows. If you leave your computer on, it maintains itself. Deletes old temporary files, defrags and everything so you don't have to worry about it. You don't have to worry about a lot of things with OSX which one would think every computer should have. After using the mac, I realized the Apple engineers have a lot more common sense than the ones at Microsoft. Who wants to waste time looking for drivers, setting up bios, maintaing for hours so you can have it run normal.

It is honestly like going from an american car to a german car. All I can say is try it out with an open mind. If you dont like it, install windows on it and run it faster than any other laptop

Oh and by the way, thats not OSX in the screenshot you posted lol
I think you miss understood me a little. I was not debating whichever OS was more complex or had a higher depth of options you could set up. I was merely presenting a rebuttal to your comment about people having to know a programming language to work Windows.

I won't get into whichever OS is more complex because my seat time with OS X is severely limited. And all of your points are well and good, but its still more expensive in the end. And your automated maintenance vs. do it yourself arguement is a bit lost on me. Especially on these forums.

For my own computer, I've never had or experienced any serious issues with Windows. The worst problem I've ever encountered was Windows ME's corrupted registry. Which really wasn't a huge issue.
      02-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm typing this on my Windows 7 beta, not my Mac. Let me tell you a little story. It happened about two years ago. I was running XP SP2 at that time. All of a sudden, the system crashed beyond repair / restore, a couple days before my exam week of Pathology, Pharmacology, and Microbiology. I wasted an all-nighter trying to fix the PC so that I can look at the path slides online. I ended up ordering an MBP and it worked like a champ.

I have been building computers as a hobby since 1992, and worked as a part time builder during high school. I have built all my systems including the one that crashed on me. I used to run a U320 SCSI RAID 5 arrays on this machine as well. I consider my computer knowledge to be more advanced than most regular users out there. I like to o/c my own system and tweak it to the way I like it, but it has gotten to a point of diminishing margin of return. As a med student and soon to be resident, I really don't have the time and energy to deal with the B/S of an M$ system. I can tell you that the Windows 7 has crashed on me more than 5 times over the weekend. ACDSee9 will frequently crash when I try to paste CT image screen shots to create new files. It was just frustrating. Also, the computers crash so often at work (they have limited privileges, so you can't install anything on them), and we have lost countless admission H&P and discharge summaries on the work computers. The reason why I still have to use the PC is that Centricity PACS, Eclipsys Sunrise Clinical Manager, and GE Healthcare Office EMR do not support anything but Internet Explorer. Everyone is frustrated at work regarding how crappy the OS is.

So, your saying you think that Windows 7 is weak because the beta version is crashing on you?

If that is truly your disposition on the subject why are you still running it? And this thread was never about functionality of one vs. another, nor stability. My point was more focused on user error rather than faulty software because all software is faulty is your dive deep enough into it. Back to the topic of how similar the interfaces appear to be. Would one of you guys like to post a shot of OS:X?
      02-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Since the topic was about mostly appearances only. What is the primary difference between a dressed up Ubuntu and OS:X?
      02-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

im running windows 7 now for almost 2months and it is really impressive. and yet its still on beta but by far its better than XP. and yes, we know vista is stinks and microsoft really did their job on this one.

and by the way, im typing now with my netbook loaded with windows 7 (lenovo S10)
no drivers needed

i also installed on my sony vaio (VGN-FW139E)
no drivers needed also

very compatible and no crashed (BSOD)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Since the topic was about mostly appearances only. What is the primary difference between a dressed up Ubuntu and OS:X?
One is Darwin, the other Linux. :-) More to the point, the application in the screenshot is not Finder. Most native Mac apps don't have a built in menu bar per se, rather their options are displayed in the application menu bar at the top of the screen, separate from the application. You mentioned that the file/edit/view bar at the top of each window was borrowed from Windows. My point is that OS X doesn't have a file/edit/view menu at the top of each window, it remains in a consistent place, in the application toolbar.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
And all of your points are well and good, but its still more expensive in the end. And your automated maintenance vs. do it yourself arguement is a bit lost on me. Especially on these forums.
That's very true, but you get what you pay for and IMO it's worth every penny. As for the automated maintenance.. I was just trying to say you don't have to waste your time maintaining it because it does it for you.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #22
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
One is Darwin, the other Linux. :-) More to the point, the application in the screenshot is not Finder. Most native Mac apps don't have a built in menu bar per se, rather their options are displayed in the application menu bar at the top of the screen, separate from the application. You mentioned that the file/edit/view bar at the top of each window was borrowed from Windows. My point is that OS X doesn't have a file/edit/view menu at the top of each window, it remains in a consistent place, in the application toolbar.
Still want to see a screenshot, so I can accurately compare for myself. But this post explained a lot more than your previous one did.