BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla P100D

08-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #23
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I am going to get one if there is no new M5 in December of this year. I keep dreaming that BMW will reverse the trend and have the M5 come out at the same time as the new 5.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #24
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Lol. This argument and getting really old
Anything else to defend your mighty M5?
Can you post picture of seven passengers and their luggage?
Is there anything worse than getting in a sedan with 6 other people and their luggage? Then when looking to torture yourself, where does their luggage go?

I can probably find a picture of 10 people in a VW Bug, would this help?
I'm 6-people household
This rocket is actually pretty comfortable on long trips, even fully loaded
I can also care less about the ring times
I'll never see it. However, it's load of fun for street use. Blows anything on the road
Can't wait to see some fast cars getting humiliated by an SUV
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #25
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I think the technology is great, kudos to them for pushing the envelope. But, IIRC consumer reports just hammered longer term reliability for the sedan. Not sure if it's gotten better but too risky for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #26
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Are Tesla owners turning into the next coming of the GT-R fanboy? I'm starting to cringe more and more.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      08-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #27
rex imperatur
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX-7

I can't believe people are talking as if 315 miles is nothing. The current M5 has a 338 mile range. That's only 23 more that the Model S P100D. The 2010/2011 M5' only had a range of 260 miles per tank of gas. Range anxiety is not an issue with Model S P100D.

Last edited by rex imperatur; 08-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #28
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Dreamer
I think the technology is great, kudos to them for pushing the envelope. But, IIRC consumer reports just hammered longer term reliability for the sedan. Not sure if it's gotten better but too risky for me.
They definitely had fair amount of issues on earlier builds, but it's miles better now, if not perfect. X is also started coming out much better quality compared to the beginning of production

I think many manufacturers have issues in first MY run

Customer service is amazing though
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #29
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

It really seems like most who are so vehemently anti-Tesla are mouth breathers.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #30
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Lol. This argument and getting really old
Anything else to defend your mighty M5?
Can you post picture of seven passengers and their luggage?
I'm confused...a second ago we were talking about 'blowing the M5 out of the water' and now we're comparing cargo capacities.

PS - Nice trailer.
      08-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #31
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex imperatur View Post
I can't believe people are talking as if 315 miles is nothing. The current M5 has a 338 mile range. That's only 23 more that the Model S P100D. The 2010/2011 M5' only had a range of 260 miles per tank of gas. Range anxiety is not an issue with Model S P100D.
You can get an additional 338 miles in the M5 by stopping for 5 minutes for gas, that's the difference. I love the Model S, but you're ignoring the biggest advantage ICE cars have.
Appreciate 1
OutlawX3M296.00
      08-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #32
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
You can get an additional 338 miles in the M5 by stopping for 5 minutes for gas, that's the difference. I love the Model S, but you're ignoring the biggest advantage ICE cars have.
at least 15 minutes man! sometimes that shrimp taco I bought out the back of that dude's trunk doesn't agree with me and I need to visit that porcelain throne
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #33
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

Tesla's are awesome cars and insanely quick from a stop....butttt it's definitely no M5/6. Nothing beats an opened up TT V8. Especially one with pure turbos on it running 9.xx 1/4 miles at over 140mph I think tesla has done a great job at outpacing the competition just their prices need to drop some and IMO wil need a style change soon
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #34
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I'm 6-people household
I'll never see it. However, it's load of fun for street use. Blows anything on the road
How long of a trip, I don't see a car of six trying to hit one of the chargers in the next city they get to so they can sit there waiting for it to recharge. I guess you plan your whole trip around these planned stops?

I think they are good cars for normal everyday use for most people (not me as I drive a lot for work) but any long distance travel would be too much to deal with. If they can come up with a quick way to recharge them it would get rid of one of the biggest problems.
      08-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #35
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Tesla's are awesome cars and insanely quick from a stop....butttt it's definitely no M5/6. Nothing beats an opened up TT V8. Especially one with pure turbos on it running 9.xx 1/4 miles at over 140mph I think tesla has done a great job at outpacing the competition just their prices need to drop some and IMO wil need a style change soon
LOL...prices need to drop? The Model S is the single most registered model of vehicle in the zip code I live, along with a few neighboring zip codes. It's some ridiculous number like 16-17%. They're priced a little too low, if anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #36
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
Quote:
I'm 6-people household
How long of a trip, I don't see a car of six trying to hit one of the chargers in the next city they get to so they can sit there waiting for it to recharge. I guess you plan your whole trip around these planned stops?

I think they are good cars for normal everyday use for most people (not me as I drive a lot for work) but any long distance travel would be too much to deal with. If they can come up with a quick way to recharge them it would get rid of one of the biggest problems.
Yes, the recharge is not as quick as fill up of the gas. Though, by the time my kids unbuckle and use restroom/snack from each leg of the trip between superchargers, the car tells me it's fully charged and ready. I rarely had a situation where I waited for my car to finish charging. It is other way around. For those who complain: how many hours and $$$ you spend yearly at your lovely gas station?
I'm leaving home every day with full "tank"
And no longer spend 24 cumulative hours of my life at gas station
People need to realize that you go fill up not just on a trip, but every week when you commute as well. While ICE car wins time on trips, it loses huge on the commute or everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #37
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
honestly i cannot justify spending $150K on a car which will not get you past the city limits if driven with heavy foot.. their range numbers like any MPG are likely attained by best possible condition/driving.. not by 2.5 sec 0-60 launches or WOT passes that i at least do regularly with the M every opportunity i get :-) now if the range could be in the upper 200's with variable type of driving, including above mentioned.. then it would make for a great daily my wife could drive once kids are older and for me to abuse when i go towards Starbucks..
Exactly, but increase that to 600s. I drive almost daily from orlando to Miami and back. I can't remember seeing 1 tesla on the turnpike, ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #38
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Just another dot on the roadmap for the Tesla proof of concept that their cars are. My ultimate guess is that the car company itself doesn't even exist in 10 years and is sold off sans battery technology to one of the big automakers or even Apple or Google and then Tesla will concentrate on what he really cares about and that's improving the battery for electric vehicles moving forward. Apple or Google could write a check to Tesla for what the company is worth and it wouldn't even show up as a blip on their financial statement but my guess is they would want the battery tech too and I don't see Musk giving that up because that's where he truly sees the future.

He needed a platform to prove that electric cars could work and the big automakers were never going to let him play ball with them so he said fuck you, I'll do it myself. Now that he is proving his concept and getting money from the big automakers because they buy his EV credits to make themselves look more sustainable he can continue down the battery path. Hence the Gigafactory.

What Tesla has done is nothing short of remarkable but I think the legions of fanboys and girls are going to be quite disappointed when their car fails to exist in the somewhat near future.

The guy is clearly smarter than every auto exec in the world and I applaud him for what he has done but I am not giving up my environmental nightmare of a fossil fuel burning rig just yet.

Last edited by bb1857; 08-26-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #39
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Yes, the recharge is not as quick as fill up of the gas. Though, by the time my kids unbuckle and use restroom/snack from each leg of the trip between superchargers, the car tells me it's fully charged and ready. I rarely had a situation where I waited for my car to finish charging. It is other way around. For those who complain: how many hours and $$$ you spend yearly at your lovely gas station?
I'm leaving home every day with full "tank"
And no longer spend 24 cumulative hours of my life at gas station
People need to realize that you go fill up not just on a trip, but every week when you commute as well. While ICE car wins time on trips, it loses huge on the commute or everyday use.
You never said how long your longest trip has been.

You aren't factoring getting to the Supercharger or planning the stop before you leave the house. I have done neither in any car, gas stations are everywhere. I do agree that if you don't leave your immediate area, have a fast charger at home and are willing and able to plug it in every night it is saves some time but then if only driving local I guess I spend less than 5 minutes a week at a gas station.

There is one Tesla Supercharger in Cincinnati I think at the Tesla dealership, hardly the place I want to stop for a half hour on a long trip and the chances of it being convenient or where you really want to stop are close to zero. If someone told me I needed to stop at the gas station in Cincinnati, there is only one, will have to drive to it, sit there for 30 minutes and after 30 minutes you can drive 170 miles (research shows people are only willing to go about 80% of charge so 140 miles), so in 2.5 hours repeat or full charge is 75 minutes (should be a good time at the dealership). I would find another car to take on a trip. Then if you aren't ready to stop you have to anyway as you won't make it to the next large city.

Still see this as the local car with another for travel outside of your area.

Also, your "Garage" lists a X6M? Seems like the opposite to the Tesla. What's the point in owning one of the worst mpg cars made (12 city/17 hwy) as far as the environment goes and then one of the best? My main draw to the Tesla would be the environment as it sure isn't to save money. You drive both and equal out to a pretty standard vehicle?
      08-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #40
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Can you post a comparison of Nürburgring times?

+1. Tesla is a one trick pony. Great if the road never turns. The claimed range isn't what it's advertised at in areas with cold winters. Also, no way am I standing round charging stations wasting time.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      08-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #41
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You never said how long your longest trip has been.

You aren't factoring getting to the Supercharger or planning the stop before you leave the house. I have done neither in any car, gas stations are everywhere. I do agree that if you don't leave your immediate area, have a fast charger at home and are willing and able to plug it in every night it is saves some time but then if only driving local I guess I spend less than 5 minutes a week at a gas station.

There is one Tesla Supercharger in Cincinnati I think at the Tesla dealership, hardly the place I want to stop for a half hour on a long trip and the chances of it being convenient or where you really want to stop are close to zero. If someone told me I needed to stop at the gas station in Cincinnati, there is only one, will have to drive to it, sit there for 30 minutes and after 30 minutes you can drive 170 miles (research shows people are only willing to go about 80% of charge so 140 miles), so in 2.5 hours repeat or full charge is 75 minutes (should be a good time at the dealership). I would find another car to take on a trip. Then if you aren't ready to stop you have to anyway as you won't make it to the next large city.

Still see this as the local car with another for travel outside of your area.

Also, your "Garage" lists a X6M? Seems like the opposite to the Tesla. What's the point in owning one of the worst mpg cars made (12 city/17 hwy) as far as the environment goes and then one of the best? My main draw to the Tesla would be the environment as it sure isn't to save money. You drive both and equal out to a pretty standard vehicle?
X6M is retired, I'm electric-only household for 3 years now
I understand your feeling about charging and other EV-related differences, but you need to own one to fully appreciate it
I will never by another ICE car
Also, it's not one trick pony as some ppl say (probably those who never driven one), it handles great, has very compliant ride and fast as hell
Power is always available as if you were riding in second gear all the time
On top of that, you get LOTS of utility in this car, that most mid-sized SUVs cannot match

Regarding trips:
I've taken it to Orlando and central PA with ease
I've towed my golf card for 400 miles on Autopilot, which was awesome
I'm getting travel trailer (Alto) to do cross-country as well
You don't need supercharger next to your house, you have charger at your house for that.
You need charging on your route as you travel
Most of them positioned every 100 miles or less, depending on the area
Supercharger map
And Telsa is planning to cover US with a lot more of these by the end of the year. There are also thousands of destination chargers at hotels and rest areas now
I have zero range anxiety, because of that, plus your car tells you where to stop and how long is required to charge
It makes best winter and summer cars
I can pre-heat/cool it ahead of time so my kids feel comfortable in it as they get into car that's been seating in cold
I can go through 15 inch of snow easily with amazing AWD

At some point people will realize (some did already) that electric is clean, fun, exciting future of automotive world
It's been around very few years, but it's been setting many records.
Future is looking bright and we can finally dump archaic technology just like humans switched to cars from the horses

No one said it's perfect yet, but benefits outweigh cons already
Appreciate 1
DATM3157.00
      08-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #42
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

At some point people will realize (some did already) that electric is clean, fun, exciting future of automotive world
Future is looking bright and we can finally dump archaic technology just like humans switched to cars from the horses

No one said it's perfect yet, but benefits outweigh cons already.

Um no. Electric needs to be perfected, as reliable as gas, as easy as gs, as convenient as gas, and most importantly as economical as gas. It's not any of these yet. Wil be a long time coming. In the mean time it's a novelty. Also, it will take interest. The vehicles have been on sale for tears and still hold an insignificant half of a percentage point in worldwide auto sales. This is overwhelmingly from the techno geeks who want the latest gadget or the uber tree huggers who misguidedly think this is environmentally friendly. Until the general public sees them as superior, these will be a mere curiosity. Right now except for 0-50 mph sprints they are still inferior to combustion in every way.
Range
Ease of refueling
Reliability
Cost
Performance besides 0-50
Etc etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #43
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
      08-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #44
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
I understand your feeling about charging and other EV-related differences, but you need to own one to fully appreciate it
I will never by another ICE car
Also, it's not one trick pony as some ppl say (probably those who never driven one), it handles great, has very compliant ride and fast as hell
Power is always available as if you were riding in second gear all the time
On top of that, you get LOTS of utility in this car, that most mid-sized SUVs cannot match

Regarding trips:
I've taken it to Orlando and central PA with ease
I've towed my golf card for 400 miles on Autopilot, which was awesome
I'm getting travel trailer (Alto) to do cross-country as well
You don't need supercharger next to your house, you have charger at your house for that.
You need charging on your route as you travel
Most of them positioned every 100 miles or less, depending on the area
Supercharger map
And Telsa is planning to cover US with a lot more of these by the end of the year. There are also thousands of destination chargers at hotels and rest areas now
I have zero range anxiety, because of that, plus your car tells you where to stop and how long is required to charge
It makes best winter and summer cars
I can pre-heat/cool it ahead of time so my kids feel comfortable in it as they get into car that's been seating in cold
I can go through 15 inch of snow easily with amazing AWD

No one said it's perfect yet, but benefits outweigh cons already
Can you plan a trip to Mexico city and back again? Or how about from Oregon to Cancun? Or maybe I feel like driving to visit the Panama canal ?
I can do it in a 30 year old Honda CRX HF which realistically can get me 45 mpg
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50