BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum DO any of you have dashcams in your Z4??

09-07-2023, 08:55 PM   #45
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
Just received this one and will install today, most OEM looking and no wires to run.

https://fitcamx.com/collections/bmw/...39888585392300

I installed mine today on my recently purchased BMW CPO 2020 Z4 M40i. Before I ordered, I emailed pictures and confirmed with the company it was the Fitcamx Dash Cam for BMW G Chassis MODEL B

Definitely agree with alvitdk — most OEM with no wires. Just follow the directions to turn off Bluetooth and turn off cellular data to connect properly with the App with the iPhone
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Argo698.50
Cliffj335126.00
alvitdk246.00
      09-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #46
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I was just given the Garmin Dash Cam Tandem as a birthday present and and would like to connect it to the mirror but frankly don't trust myself to do the work. How much should an independent shop charge to do this?
Attached Images

Last edited by Westside Guy; 09-21-2023 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 12:00 PM   #47
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I was just given the Garmin Dash Cam Tandem as a birthday present and and would like to connect it to the mirror but frankly don't trust myself to do the work. How much should an independent shop charge to do this?
It's a fairly simple job. I would think no more than an hour of labor.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:21 PM   #48
72sirmako
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15), BMW Z4 (G29)

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M4.0i  [9.92]
2017 BMW X5  [8.75]
Question about the interfaces on your dashcams. I've figured out mounting so that's not the issue.

I have a Blackvue on the x5 and the mounting both front and rear is clean but it's the interface that makes me insane. Here are my issues, are these consistent across all brands or do any of your stand out from this?

1. cloud access - I need to have a constant internet connectivity therefore pay for the AT&T hotspot for the car. Unless I'm misunderstanding, even if I get the cell adapter for the Blackvue I still need to pay for internet access for that. *built in hotspot wins in this case

2. in order to get videos off Blackvue I need to download them, then send them to myself because there isn't a direct download file (that goes back to the cloud access too, I guess). I was reminded of this issue today when a Jeep went into the left turn lane, then cut in front of me at a red light, shot over two lanes to the side street so they could turn into the gas station across the street, then turn right onto the same road they were on previously. They then proceeded to do the same at the next two lights.

3. accessing the dashcam, my only access (back to the cloud thing from point 1) is by connecting to the dashcam wifi. To do this I need to disconnect from my android auto wifi which plays hell with connecting to it again after I'm done in the dashcam. Now, keep in mind that might not be as big of an issue with the Z4 as android auto is native. On the x5 I have bimmertech MMI for android auto.

Does anyone have a dashcam with an easier or better interface while keeping 4k and having both front and rear cameras or do I stick with Blackvue so I only need to bother with one app?

feedback welcome, thanks. Nick
sorry for the lack of capital letters, I'm lazy tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:35 PM   #49
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
You can always get the videos by popping off the microSD card and reading it with a laptop or phone.

With my current Garmin camera I almost never bother with the app.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:40 PM   #50
72sirmako
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15), BMW Z4 (G29)

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M4.0i  [9.92]
2017 BMW X5  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
You can always get the videos by popping off the microSD card and reading it with a laptop or phone.

With my current Garmin camera I almost never bother with the app.
good point, I hadn't even thought of that. Probably faster and easier than the app.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:09 PM   #51
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
I suppose it's personal preference and need. I have no experience with Blackvue but, looking at the Amazon listing for the DR900X-2CH, the wifi is via an optional CM100LTE accessory that accommodates a nano SIM from your cellular provider so, yes, you'll need to pay for that as an additional device.

The hotspot provided by my iPhone is adequate for my needs so I don't subscribe to the car's built-in hotspot, seems redundant. I've heard another person speculate the car's hotspot has better cellular reception than a separate smartphone but I'm not convinced since the Z4 has a built in booster, at least those with the wireless charging tray. From the owners manual: "Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA." . . . but I digress.

I use a Vantrue camera that has WiFi but only to my phone, not to the cloud, and requires (similar to your situation) connecting my phone to the camera's WiFi on an as needed basis (something I understand is less than desirable for you). On the rare cases, I need access to recordings, I pop out the micro SD card and pop into my laptop for downloading.

Long story short: Sorry, I don't know of a dashcam with a better interface but I may not completely understand your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72sirmako View Post
Question about the interfaces on your dashcams. I've figured out mounting so that's not the issue.

I have a Blackvue on the x5 and the mounting both front and rear is clean but it's the interface that makes me insane. Here are my issues, are these consistent across all brands or do any of your stand out from this?

1. cloud access - I need to have a constant internet connectivity therefore pay for the AT&T hotspot for the car. Unless I'm misunderstanding, even if I get the cell adapter for the Blackvue I still need to pay for internet access for that. *built in hotspot wins in this case

2. in order to get videos off Blackvue I need to download them, then send them to myself because there isn't a direct download file (that goes back to the cloud access too, I guess). I was reminded of this issue today when a Jeep went into the left turn lane, then cut in front of me at a red light, shot over two lanes to the side street so they could turn into the gas station across the street, then turn right onto the same road they were on previously. They then proceeded to do the same at the next two lights.

3. accessing the dashcam, my only access (back to the cloud thing from point 1) is by connecting to the dashcam wifi. To do this I need to disconnect from my android auto wifi which plays hell with connecting to it again after I'm done in the dashcam. Now, keep in mind that might not be as big of an issue with the Z4 as android auto is native. On the x5 I have bimmertech MMI for android auto.

Does anyone have a dashcam with an easier or better interface while keeping 4k and having both front and rear cameras or do I stick with Blackvue so I only need to bother with one app?

feedback welcome, thanks. Nick
sorry for the lack of capital letters, I'm lazy tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 07:00 AM   #52
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
When I picked up my car a few days ago, the genius was running through the infotainment system with me and showed me the screen where tyre pressures are displayed. It clearly showed tyre pressures of 41 all round, with recommended pressure of 31.

I queried it and he gave me some guff about the pressures being set high while the car was shipped because they are low profile tyres.
Presumably to avoid damage to the rims?

Anyway, I said, thanks for the info, can you set them to the recommended pressure please. Which the technician then came around and did in front of me.
Appreciate 2
StanDiego6248.50
      12-03-2023, 07:43 AM   #53
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I think all of their cars are shipped with higher tire pressure than normal and the tech should adjust them when he preps the car for the customer’s pickup.
Appreciate 1
GerryC1616.00
      12-04-2023, 07:36 AM   #54
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
[QUOTE=Westside Guy;30703470]I think all of their cars are shipped with higher tire pressure than normal and the tech should adjust them when he preps the car for the customer’s pickup.

I can see the logic of doing that to protect the rims. I think they forgot to adjust them for street use. Just surprised the genius didn’t notice, the figures were staring him in the face from the screen.

Anyway, a minor adjustment that took 2 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #55
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I'm looking for a cordless one tbh that i can just put up there and remove as necessary. Just something to record while I'm driving and swap between cars. Honestly I'm surprised that it's not something that's more common these days.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #56
ZMcruiser
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006MRoadster, 2020 Z4M40i,

Not too smart posting the speed you were traveling. The Relive app also posts max speed attained, however before posting I make sure that info is not revealed. Run fast, but don't advertise it to the world! Discretion is the key.

Last edited by ZMcruiser; 12-06-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 11:38 AM   #57
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I'm looking for a cordless one tbh that i can just put up there and remove as necessary. Just something to record while I'm driving and swap between cars. Honestly I'm surprised that it's not something that's more common these days.
The best you likely can do is to buy a second power cable and mounting kit to install in the other vehicle, ensuring the camera you buy is designed with a quick release. I'm not aware of a truly wireless dashcam. For such a camera, battery life would be hours at best and you would soon grow weary of having to recharge it.

I recently bought the BMW mount for my GoPro that screws into the bumper tow hook hole, planning to use it to record some of my adventures. As you probably know, there are all sorts of mounts for the GoPro but sadly I'm not aware of any software that allows you to use it as a dashcam.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      12-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #58
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMcruiser View Post
Not too smart posting the speed you were traveling. The Relive app also posts max speed attained, however before posting I make sure that info is not revealed. Run fast, but don't advertise it to the world! Discretion is the is the key.
I know this is the camera under discussion, but I currently have LoJack on my car and it 'captures' the maximum speed for each trip.

However, it is much less than actual speed (displayed, anyway). Maybe after reporting a theft it reports actual...