BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Here we go again - PB M40i Build Tracking

07-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #23
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
HAHA! That's funny... but the order is already in and underway. I was trying to find a middle ground on colors and options.

What i really want versus what I should/should not get to lower price to appease my wife.

Believe me, I was thinking of going alpine white again, with the red interior and no shadowline to further reduce the price. I just don't think I would have been truly happy with that combination. The portimao blue really hit me.
You definitely picked a great color combination so don’t second-guess yourself.

The slogan, happy wife, happy life is just advertising propaganda and you should never let it hold you back! 😂
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16540.50
      07-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #24
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
You definitely picked a great color combination so don’t second-guess yourself.

The slogan, happy wife, happy life is just advertising propaganda and you should never let it hold you back! 😂
mmmm... I'll err on the side of caution!

I agree, the color combo is by far my favorite of the bunch. Blue is my favorite color. Need to look into personalized Disabled Vet plate ... I want to memorialize my recently passed brother. Blue was also his favorite color. My family is also largely Air Force. So.. it's a win all around.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 09:12 AM   #25
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
HAHA! That's funny... but the order is already in and underway. I was trying to find a middle ground on colors and options.

What i really want versus what I should/should not get to lower price to appease my wife.

Believe me, I was thinking of going alpine white again, with the red interior and no shadowline to further reduce the price. I just don't think I would have been truly happy with that combination. The portimao blue really hit me.
In my experience, it's better to do it right the first time and get what you want. I've found I always regret doing anything else. While I understand finances always come into play, you would have saved about $1,500 by going white and no Shadowline. On a $70K car, that's not a ton.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2023, 09:17 AM   #26
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
In my experience, it's better to do it right the first time and get what you want. I've found I always regret doing anything else. While I understand finances always come into play, you would have saved about $1,500 by going white and no Shadowline. On a $70K car, that's not a ton.
I agree with you, also adding a $550 option (ACC) to a $70k+ car is less than 1% of the purchase price.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16540.50
      07-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #27
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I agree, the color combo is by far my favorite of the bunch. Blue is my favorite color. Need to look into personalized Disabled Vet plate ... I want to memorialize my recently passed brother. Blue was also his favorite color. My family is also largely Air Force. So.. it's a win all around.
Blue is also my favorite color and you selected PB for all of the right reasons.

Every car I have owned since 1994 has been a blue shade starting with a Samoa Blue 325i convertible which is one of my all-time favorite cars and it would be extremely difficult for me to consider buying a car in another color family unless it was drop dead gorgeous and I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      07-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #28
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with you, also adding a $550 option (ACC) to a $70k+ car is less than 1% of the purchase price.
LOL I kept the HK system there for that reason, but I am not gonna miss something I never had in my Z4 lol! You're too funny!

Quote:
I actually tried to go for an M40i from the start. Found a white with red one without the shadowline at CarMax and took it out for a drive. 4k miles on it and only 62k. Believe me.. it was PERFECT.

HOWEVER.... it put me just outside of what was affordable at the time. I took my 30i home at around 57k out the door and that put us in a position that was more comfortable.

I'm going for the M40i now because I got an almost 30k pay raise and now have my other car paid off. More than enough wiggle room, but I always felt a tinge of regret and some envy about the M40i.

Understand though... I'm glad I started out with the 30i. It was INCREDIBLY fun... Alot of lessons learned I can now apply to the new one and it's like a fresh start, but better. LCI, new color that wasn't previously available, better looking wheels too IMO. My wife may be really grumpy about this, but I am honestly on Cloud 9 right now and so incredibly happy that I'm able to do this.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #29
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol. You're like a salesperson
Appreciate 3
Horseman4131.50
///M TOWN16540.50
      07-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #30
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

TL;DR:

I'm in the minority, insofar as my car has ACC (it was a dealer ordered car with every option except wireless charging), and I don't use it, beyond testing it once to establish that it does work as expected, because I don't entirely trust it. Put another way, some of the more advanced automation & safety features in cars today are not ready for prime-time, IMO.

Longer Explanation:

I also hold the dash button to disable the intelligent safety features every time I get in the car. And not because I'm infallible, but because I don't think that system is smart enough that it will: (1) perform better than I can when I am paying attention, or (2) that it won't make a costly mistake if I effectively surrender control the system by letting my attention wander.

In particular, I don't trust the ACC to not brake hard without regard for what is going on behind me, resulting in me getting rear-ended and hopefully not by a semi truck. The ACC has no idea what sort of vehicle is following me and what it's minimum stopping distance might be, whether the driver is paying attention, or if he's weaving in and out of his lane due to distraction, inebriation or fatigue, etc. Those are things I might be aware of if I am watching my mirrors, or if I had passed that vehicle earlier and had an opportunity to observe it and its driver.

If I can't trust the in-car automation to the point where it's safe for me to not pay attention entirely, then I don't want my own skills in accident avoidance to be degraded through a failure to practice paying attention. [As a counter example, ABS and traction/stability control systems - comparatively simple automation - have been demonstrated to be quite reliable and better than human beings at managing both braking & traction under nearly all driving conditions & contingencies; both were controversial when initially introduced, in part because it took time to make them highly reliable] This risk is especially acute if we've trained ourselves to expect the automated safety systems to detect and react to something such that we delay action with the expectation or hope that the car will eventually respond appropriately without our intervention.

There's plenty of evidence showing that in-cockpit automation in aircraft leads to 'loss of cognitive control' when pilots struggle to take control of an aircraft back from automation in unusual conditions, with sometimes disastrous results.

When I ride the motorcycle, I always consciously head-check before lane changes and turns, and use my turn-signals. The reason being that under stress or when I'm otherwise distracted, I want to autonomically do those things that minimize risk of a collision with another vehicle without me having to think about them.

'Train the way you fight' has wide application in life. I assume that at some point these more advanced in-car safety automation features will improve to the point where they're able to outperform all drivers consistently, and when that happens I'll happily use them. But we're not there yet.

Quote:
Oh I do.. I think about the money I saved not getting ACC and the Wireless Charger haha. BMW also offered to do tint at the dealership upon delivery. Contacted my Auto Salon and they're like... yeah we do it for 399. WHOA that's another 300 savings.

Look, I almost took off the 875 HK system too
Appreciate 4
Horseman4131.50
dholaday102.00
StanDiego6248.50
stlcdr1014.50
      07-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #31
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:

We had PB on my wife's M340i and loved it. I'm happy to get it again. I really wanted to want Thundernight, but haven't been able to see one in person and none of the pictures I have seen move me.

My m240i vert is Long Beach Blue. It looked great in the showroom lighting, but in the real world every one said the PB M340i looked prettier.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      07-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #32
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
We had PB on my wife's M340i and loved it. I'm happy to get it again. I really wanted to want Thundernight, but haven't been able to see one in person and none of the pictures I have seen move me.

My m240i vert is Long Beach Blue. It looked great in the showroom lighting, but in the real world every one said the PB M340i looked prettier.
I have Thundernight and love it. I too was a bit hesitant about it, but we were able to find an M240i at a dealer in Thundernight. That was enough to convince us to get it.

If we hadn't, I'd have opted for PB. It's one of the better blue shades in my opinion.
      07-07-2023, 02:09 PM   #33
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Agreed about the PB being one of the better shades of blue that BMW offers. I think Frozen Blue is probably the only other blue I'd want to get. I loved the way the Thundernight looked on the Z4, but felt it was way out of my comfort zone to get.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 02:36 PM   #34
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Sheesh... right back to where I was 2 years ago. Constantly watching the tracker to see if there's any movement from dot to dot. Scheduled for Production. Today would have marked the same time frame from Scheduled for Production to In Production. GAAAHHH!! lol
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #35
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sheesh... right back to where I was 2 years ago. Constantly watching the tracker to see if there's any movement from dot to dot. Scheduled for Production. Today would have marked the same time frame from Scheduled for Production to In Production. GAAAHHH!! lol
Oh I checked my tracker every hour for 3 months. The struggle is real!
Appreciate 3
      07-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #36
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Isn't that the point?

This morning mine switched to "Entering the assembly line"
Appreciate 1
Horseman4131.50
      07-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #37
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Isn't that the point?

This morning mine switched to "Entering the assembly line"
That's awesome! Getting closer! I'm still scheduled for production. It's only been 5 days though.

Quote:
Oh I checked my tracker every hour for 3 months. The struggle is real!
Yeah it was real bad last time with my 30i. Even my friends were like.. dude... it's not getting here any faster the more you check it lol.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #38
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's awesome! Getting closer! I'm still scheduled for production. It's only been 5 days though.
Have you done the F12 thing and looked to see your production date? The car usually changes to Production Begins about 2 weeks prior.
      07-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #39
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
Have you done the F12 thing and looked to see your production date? The car usually changes to Production Begins about 2 weeks prior.
No I haven't. Where abouts do they put the date within the code?

Second Edit... I dunno, the only date configuration I saw was alluding to today's date lol

Last edited by Horseman; 07-11-2023 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 10:31 PM   #40
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No I haven't. Where abouts do they put the date within the code?

Second Edit... I dunno, the only date configuration I saw was alluding to today's date lol
Follow the instructions in this thread;

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=51

About 2/3 down the list you should see a line "ProdWeek" followed by the ISO week number. ISO weeks start on Monday. This week is week 28.

Once the status changes to Production Begins, you will see a line "ProdDate" followed by the date. That will be the date it is complete.
      07-12-2023, 06:05 AM   #41
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for that. Bummer, no ProdWeek line. I do see prodDate though. no ISO number either.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #42
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for that. Bummer, no ProdWeek line. I do see prodDate though. no ISO number either.
Patience is a virtue!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 06:54 AM   #43
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
NOT one that I have. Definitely discussed this a ways back when my first one was being built. Granted, I'm better this time than last time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 07:02 AM   #44
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Today is my 2 year anniversary owning my Z4!
Appreciate 4
UNCM2334.50
///M TOWN16540.50