BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Car damaged during shipping: what

11-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Car damaged during shipping: what

Ugh, accidentally hit shift+enter before I was done writing this.

In any case, the title should have been "Car damaged during shipping: what's next?"

----

I got the bad news that my custom order M40i had some damage. SA mentioned "the transport driver somehow damaged the passenger door, dented and will need to go to our body shop". I'm not sure I want to take a brand new car with non-factory paint. What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #2
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
As long as it isn't a frozen color a good body shop should be able to match the color. If you do decide to accept it, I would ask for a large discount or simply pass and have them order a new one if you can wait.

Also if you accept it after it is repaired reconfirm that the damage is not entered into CarFax which would affect the resell value of the car.
Appreciate 5
Argo697.00
SpeedyATL1877.00
      11-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Not much you can do, really just 2 options:

1. Get the car fixed by them and ask for a discount since you are driving now a car that was repaired.

2. Refuse delivery and order a new car, realizing it will take time.

If I spend my hard-earned money, and not in a rush, I would probably wait.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 4
      11-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
As long as it isn't a frozen color a good body shop should be able to match the color. If you do decide to accept it, I would ask for a large discount or simply pass and have them order a new one if you can wait.

Also if you accept it after it is repaired reconfirm that the damage is not entered into CarFax which would affect the resell value of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvitdk View Post
Not much you can do, really just 2 options:

1. Get the car fixed by them and ask for a discount since you are driving now a car that was repaired.

2. Refuse delivery and order a new car, realizing it will take time.

If I spend my hard-earned money, and not in a rush, I would probably wait.
I already had a deal for 5% off MSRP so I'm not sure how much more I could push here. Of course there's a number where I'd take it despite the repair, but I still haven't figured out what that is or whether it's reasonable. On the other hand, I'm not in a rush at all other than waiting another 3 months pushes delivery later into the model year cycle.

The CarFax is definitely an issue, though I did intend to keep the car for at least 5 years it'll still matter after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
If BMW is doing the repair, then they should ALSO be using an exact match paint. BMW repaired my rocker panel after it showed that there was damage there as well. The options are never fun to deal with and it certainly impacts the excitement that you have in taking delivery of something you've been looking to getting for awhile.

I am sorry that you have to deal with this, it's not easy, and I know exactly what you're going through.
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #6
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

First question is how bad is it? Pictures of damage? Small dent/ whole door crushed in?

The best move would be to have them reorder the car, they have insurance for these situations.

DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR DEALER, they offered 5% off a new unblemished car, they will have to do even better for you to take it with paintwork. You haven’t even set foot in the car and expected new, not dinged up with flaws. Remember you paid for a new out of the wrapper car and should get exactly that.

I’m sure you desperately want to take possession, in the end you can take it repaired and be driving in a short time. Up to you and how much you want to get behind the wheel.

I’d push for some added things if they can’t take much of price of car (free extended maintenance or warranty?) you have to get something back for the inconvenience and they should be willing to work with you to make it right….beyond “hey we will fix it”
Appreciate 3
Argo697.00
Horseman4131.50
      11-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got some more info: The person unloading cars off the truck allegedly backed another car (an i4) into the passenger door.

Allegedly there's "no paint damage" but there is a dent that does need to go to the body shop (IMO it would still need to be resurfaced though because impacts still stress the clear coat). I'm supposed to get some pictures soon.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 12:58 PM   #8
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Got some more info: The person unloading cars off the truck allegedly backed another car (an i4) into the passenger door.

Allegedly there's "no paint damage" but there is a dent that does need to go to the body shop (IMO it would still need to be resurfaced though because impacts still stress the clear coat). I'm supposed to get some pictures soon.
Paint less dent repair guy might be able to correct it. Share pictures on the forum, some of the experienced paint professionals on here will give you good unbiased advice.
Appreciate 3
Argo697.00
      11-17-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
If PDR and a buff can fix it, you are good to go with it.

It's been a LONG time since I saw a body shop of any caliber paint a car anywhere near as well as the factory, so I'd need a STIFF discount ($2k+) and no carfax hit to take it if it needs paint, especially as long as you plan to keep it...it would eat at me everyday.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      11-17-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Paint less dent repair guy might be able to correct it. Share pictures on the forum, some of the experienced paint professionals on here will give you good unbiased advice.
They mentioned their PDR guy had already given it a shot. I do see some dents along the crease (the light doesn't reflect right) so I can see why they sent it to a body shop.

Here's a video I got from the SA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
If PDR and a buff can fix it, you are good to go with it.

It's been a LONG time since I saw a body shop of any caliber paint a car anywhere near as well as the factory, so I'd need a STIFF discount ($2k+) and no carfax hit to take it if it needs paint, especially as long as you plan to keep it...it would eat at me everyday.
Yeah, manufacturer paint has gotten so much better that it's hard to match it in a non-sterile environment and with a human instead of a robot doing it. I had plans to keep it at least 5 years (likely more).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 03:11 PM   #11
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Man it’s hard to see well enough on that video, cloudy skies and reflections from buildings. Any chance you can get down there to see it in person before repairs are initiated?
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      11-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #12
khp3655
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2022 s30

Garage List
2022 Z4  [8.50]
The Carfax is a real issue. If the damage is reported, I'd pass unless there was significant discount.

I'd ask for a new door or probably pass on the car. That seems like it would be easier to replace as a whole unit and it could be replaced later on, so you could enjoy the car while the new door was on order.

I also think patience and passing is probably your best path.
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      11-17-2023, 07:43 PM   #13
Wynnsiensheng
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Personally, I think the first issue is car fax. If the damage is recorded there, I’d suggest that is a deal breaker. It would be for me.

The second issue is how I would feel each day knowing my car had a repaired door. Pretty sure it would look ok, but how would I feel about it? That’s a personal decision for each individual to make.

Only after answering those questions would I get into monetary discounts, assuming of course that the first two questions get answered in such way to require such discussions.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #14
eclz
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 sDrive 30i

What awful news. I feel like I have survivor guilt for having made it off the same boat without incident.

It would seem like in order for the car to be sold to anyone, it will have to be repaired. If they're going to have to repair it anyway, why wouldn't they agree to do that first and then allow you to decide what you want to do on the basis of how it came out? Preferably the repair could be evaluated by an independent expert. That provides both you and the dealer with useful additional information.

With negotiations in general you want to try to be on the same side of the table looking at the problem together. If the dealer's going to try to take advantage of your disappointment and impatience or in any other way tries to be adversarial in the process, I would take my business elsewhere. They're in a pretty weak position here.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 02:37 AM   #15
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Unfortunately damage during shipping happens all the time. Accidents happen. But this is why businesses have insurance.

That being said, the dealer has a very vested interest in selling you this car. They don’t want you to walk away or order another. So if it were me I’d work with them for a reasonable solution. That door will need to be replaced since bmw doesn’t sell doorskins by themselves anymore. So you have the panel gap, and the paint match to worry about.

This will likely not go through any insurance whatsoever as the cost to repair vs their premiums isn’t worth making a claim. But the body shop may put this on car fax because they track things internally by the VIN. Most dealer affiliated body shops will have lifetime warranties on their work though.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 07:49 AM   #16
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

On the upside, the damage is hard to see in the video so it's very possible PDR can take care of it. I'd be a lot less worried than I was when I started at the top of the thread. If PDR can make it like new, I'd still try to get a little more discount or some other freebie like oil changes for 5 years but it could very well turn out that this is no big deal after all.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 08:14 AM   #17
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
Unfortunately damage during shipping happens all the time. Accidents happen. But this is why businesses have insurance.

That being said, the dealer has a very vested interest in selling you this car. They don’t want you to walk away or order another. So if it were me I’d work with them for a reasonable solution. That door will need to be replaced since bmw doesn’t sell doorskins by themselves anymore. So you have the panel gap, and the paint match to worry about.

This will likely not go through any insurance whatsoever as the cost to repair vs their premiums isn’t worth making a claim. But the body shop may put this on car fax because they track things internally by the VIN. Most dealer affiliated body shops will have lifetime warranties on their work though.
The most important issue is whether or not it gets reported to Carfax. At this point in time, there is no way for the OP to determine how much this could hurt his pricing when he goes to sell it in a few years. These shops record VIN numbers in their records so I would assume that this repair would be reported.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #18
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I would opt for another z4 myself. Hard to know what the extent of the damage is.
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #19
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Looks like an opportunity to get a brand new Z4 with minor and easily repaired cosmetic damage at an even bigger discount than the one you already negotiated.

Just spitballing, but I’d ask for an additional 5% off MSRP. That’s probably double what a traditional diminished value claim might be. But this is a brand new car and you’re not obligated to take ownership giving you a lot of leverage with the dealer, quite unlike a negotiating a diminished value claim with your insurance company.

Ask your insurance agent if they have any recommendations on how they’d value the car, since they’re going to be insuring this as yet untitled but already repaired vehicle.

The dealers only other option is to try to sell it as a new but repaired vehicle and hope someone is willling to pay more than the 10% off MSRP offer you made. That could happen - someone at the dealership might recognize it as a deal or know someone who’s in the market for a deal

My $.02
Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #20
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Not sure how much leverage there is in a turn down. How many damaged in shipping cars that are dealer orders get fixed & sold without the buyer ever knowing it was a 'repaired' vehicle?

Also wonder what BMWUSA's policy is with the dealers with shipping damaged cars. Is the dealer compensated in any way?

Would look at the repair, see what the dealer is offering, then decide if I wanted the car or not.

FWIW. I had a 2018 440's Mineral Gray Metallic driver side door pushed in when it was backed into while parked in a school pickup line. The drivers insurance paid & my dealers inhouse BMW/Porsche body shop did the repair. Was imposable to tell it was ever damaged.

EDIT 40+ currant comments on the M3/4 board over the same issue.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2062418

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-19-2023 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #21
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

I think if the repair is reported to CarFax then you have leverage.

And it may vary by state, but I'd be surprised if the dealership wasn't obligated to tell potential buyers that a repair was made to a vehicle that's never been titled before.

EDIT - quick Google search found that Maryland has a 3% threshold for disclosing repaired damage to a new untitled vehicle to potential buyers.

As the OP is in California, which is probably the most consumer friendly state in the union, I will hazard that the dealer will likely to disclose the repair as a matter of state law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Not sure how much leverage there is in a turn down. How many damaged in shipping cars that are dealer orders get fixed & sold without the buyer ever knowing it was a 'repaired' vehicle?

Also wonder what BMWUSA's policy is with the dealers with shipping damaged cars. Is the dealer compensated in any way?

Would look at the repair, see what the dealer is offering, then decide if I wanted the car or not.

FWIW. I had a 2018 440's Mineral Gray Metallic driver side door pushed in when it was backed into while parked in a school pickup line. The drivers insurance paid & my dealers inhouse BMW/Porsche body shop did the repair. Was imposable to tell it was ever damaged.

EDIT 40+ currant comments on the M3/4 board over the same issue.

Appreciate 2
Argo697.00
      11-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #22
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Refuse the car

I would never take a new car that's got aftermarket paint on it right off the truck. The damage will end up listed in carfax and later on you'll get hit with a big drop in value. I had some minor bumper cover damage after getting tapped from behind in the rain which required $1100 in refinish and spot paint repair. When I went to trade in the car all the dealers tried to screw me out of like $2000 of value. Make the dealer eat the car and get a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Ugh, accidentally hit shift+enter before I was done writing this.

In any case, the title should have been "Car damaged during shipping: what's next?"

----

I got the bad news that my custom order M40i had some damage. SA mentioned "the transport driver somehow damaged the passenger door, dented and will need to go to our body shop". I'm not sure I want to take a brand new car with non-factory paint. What would you do?
Appreciate 1
Argo697.00