BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Inspire CPAP option

03-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Inspire CPAP option

Starting seeing ads, and went to their website. This seems to be on the order of a pacemaker in terms of surgical intervention. Device under collar bone and a lead somehow makes it to just under your tongue, to basically shock the tongue all night long and keep it from falling back into throat?

Not for me, for the wife. She hates her CPAP, but is now totally dependent on it. Worries about power outages since insurance just deeks her around about the current machine. I think she's actually using her BIL hand-me-down since her original one failed. Current Dr. has repeatedly tried to get a current sleep study, but insurance won't approve. Previous Dr that prescribed the original has retired and can't find her charts, and the place that did the study doesn't seem to know who she is. . .
      03-29-2023, 11:34 AM   #2
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Starting seeing ads, and went to their website. This seems to be on the order of a pacemaker in terms of surgical intervention. Device under collar bone and a lead somehow makes it to just under your tongue, to basically shock the tongue all night long and keep it from falling back into throat?

Not for me, for the wife. She hates her CPAP, but is now totally dependent on it. Worries about power outages since insurance just deeks her around about the current machine. I think she's actually using her BIL hand-me-down since her original one failed. Current Dr. has repeatedly tried to get a current sleep study, but insurance won't approve. Previous Dr that prescribed the original has retired and can't find her charts, and the place that did the study doesn't seem to know who she is. . .
Has she tried a different mask option? Like a nasal pillow instead of a full mask (if she's using the full mask)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Has she tried a different mask option? Like a nasal pillow instead of a full mask (if she's using the full mask)
It's as much the old machine as the octopus on her face. NOBODY likes sleeping with anything on their face, but since she needs constant power to run the machine, and it's a whole separate travel bag just for the CPAP. If she were to forget to pack a spare battery for the Inspire controller, I don't need to track down specialty power cables when I should be enjoying a vacation destination. THAT has happened more than once. . .
      04-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I use cpap and I also hate it, but I can't even sleep a wink without it. Which is weird because I never felt like I had any issues sleeping before I got it.

Anyways I've seen stuff about that inspire thing, but I would let a few more people get implanted before I let them cut me up. I believe it's still pretty new and I vaguely recall reading something about how it did not perform as well as CPAP.

However in your case if insurance doesn't want to pay for a sleep study or a machine not sure they will want to fork over for surgery. I recall I had to do like a "trial" sleep study at home. They basically gave me something that I would hookup to myself and just sleep at home then return the machine. I guess this was good enough to say I had sleep apnea and then insurance approved to do the test where they set your pressures which had to be done at the sleep study place.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Somewhere I saw a "new" CPAP that is simply a nose plug, no hose or anything else. Haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.