BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lane-splitting on a motorcycle

05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
Yeah and insisting that their opinions about it looking scary have more validity than the studies done on the subject.
When one expresses a view about how something looks to them, that is the end of that subject. It doesn't matter what the studies show. If it scares the driver it scares the driver. One can legitimately question whether it should scare the driver but not whether in fact it does scare the driver.

Also...automobile drivers have an absolute right to speak about this issue even if they have never driven a motorcycle because they have to share the road with them.

Regardless of attitudes in California, in any state that doesn't permit lane splitting, one shouldn't do it. Car drivers won't be expecting it and that will increase the risk to everyone.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
clee1982796.00
MassNerd171.00
      05-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Lane splitting isn't as bad as you guys seem to think it is. Unless you're hauling ass 80mph with every car around you dead stop, then of course you're playing with fire. But a reasonable speed, splitting, is perfectly fine.

I ride to work Mon-Fri, which is 20miles one way and when I need to work in Santa Monica, that's 40miles one way. Yeah, it can be treacherous, but if I'm riding reasonably, my odds of getting run over is greatly reduced. I just let other guys fly by me on their sports bikes.

Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #25
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Lane splitting isn't as bad as you guys seem to think it is. Unless you're hauling ass 80mph with every car around you dead stop, then of course you're playing with fire. But a reasonable speed, splitting, is perfectly fine.

I ride to work Mon-Fri, which is 20miles one way and when I need to work in Santa Monica, that's 40miles one way. Yeah, it can be treacherous, but if I'm riding reasonably, my odds of getting run over is greatly reduced. I just let other guys fly by me on their sports bikes.
Exactly, my almost 50 y/o mother lane splits all the time with no issues. As said as long as you're not trying to split while going 80mph then it's really not a big deal, which I believe you cannot split lanes if going 50mph +, and can't be going faster than 15mph over traffic speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU
      05-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #27
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I think one major factor everyone forget is that traffic in CA like some areas in the NE are a parking lot. No one is moving, so going through at 20-25 is like parting an ocean because that shit a parking lot. I have some experience on the bike...never felt comfortable in NJ. Probably safe splitting; always have idiots in everything to show how dangerous things are...I wish the speed limit would be 80; but that increases risk as well due to stupid ass people and nothing gunna change that
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      05-31-2019, 09:07 PM   #28
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

FWIW in Oootah it is now legal to lane filter: https://dpsnews.utah.gov/utahs-new-lane-filtering-law/

IMHO The biggest issue with lane splitting these days are cell phone drivers who drive like a drunk driver.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/liva...404-story.html
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
When one expresses a view about how something looks to them, that is the end of that subject. It doesn't matter what the studies show. If it scares the driver it scares the driver. One can legitimately question whether it should scare the driver but not whether in fact it does scare the driver.

Also...automobile drivers have an absolute right to speak about this issue even if they have never driven a motorcycle because they have to share the road with them.

Regardless of attitudes in California, in any state that doesn't permit lane splitting, one shouldn't do it. Car drivers won't be expecting it and that will increase the risk to everyone.
My brother is 7 years older than me. After college in the mid 1970's he moved to LA for a few years. He's been an avid motorcyclist since that time. He came back from LA with tales of lane splitting and the advantages of it. I get that it is a California thing and part of the traffic culture, but to me, it still goes against two principles that I believe are critical to successful injury-free motorcycle riding: (1) lane splitting drastically reduces the ability to place yourself with an escape route, and (2) lane splitting relies on other drivers not hitting you.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
MassNerd171.00
      06-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #30
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I've been lane splitting in California for years in LA traffic. I am for safe and prudent lane splitting.

This subject has been the debate among motorcyclists for years and for me, research or no research--I don't care because I just prefer to lane split. I always adjust my speed of lane splitting to traffic but once traffic begins to speed up, I just get back to normal riding in the lanes--the lane splitters that get into serious accidents (or accidents at all) are usually the ones that start splitting between cars at speed.

It's a simple choice if they want to or not too and I really don't care. More power to them. More lane splitting room for me.

Living in Europe, its hilariously normal to see people lane split. Cagers move out the way gladly and with not even a single thought about them doing it.
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00
      06-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooiiiiii View Post
I've been lane splitting in California for years in LA traffic. I am for safe and prudent lane splitting.

This subject has been the debate among motorcyclists for years and for me, research or no research--I don't care because I just prefer to lane split. I always adjust my speed of lane splitting to traffic but once traffic begins to speed up, I just get back to normal riding in the lanes--the lane splitters that get into serious accidents (or accidents at all) are usually the ones that start splitting between cars at speed.

It's a simple choice if they want to or not too and I really don't care. More power to them. More lane splitting room for me.

Living in Europe, its hilariously normal to see people lane split. Cagers move out the way gladly and with not even a single thought about them doing it.
The difference is the licensing requirements in Europe in general are more stringent than the joke of a licensing system we have here. Not only that, attitudes are much different. I was amazed when going through Poland where slower traffic would move over to the actual shoulder to give the faster car room to pass safely. Hell, you'd be lucky to get someone to slow or hold their speed in a passing zone. Many times, the asshats would speed up to prevent you from passing and the slow right back down again.
Appreciate 4
Efthreeoh16946.00
BigHunk269.50
      06-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The difference is the licensing requirements in Europe in general are more stringent than the joke of a licensing system we have here. Not only that, attitudes are much different. I was amazed when going through Poland where slower traffic would move over to the actual shoulder to give the faster car room to pass safely. Hell, you'd be lucky to get someone to slow or hold their speed in a passing zone. Many times, the asshats would speed up to prevent you from passing and the slow right back down again.

I know right? My point is, it's really not that big of a deal. People just stress out over motorcyclists' lane splitting where the bigger solution would be to stop just handing out drivers a license to drive (more driver training) and develop a culture of more respectful driving like Europe has. Obviously, that's never going to happen but whatever, I'm used to the asshole drivers in the US anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I don't see an issue with lane splitting as long as it's low speed, from driver's stand point of view guess more chance of getting into car's blind spot
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #34
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

ha-ha. I've never sat in traffic on a motorcycle. Makes zero sense to me. Call it what you will, I'm "splitting."
      06-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #35
wichitagreg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Cabriolet

Some things intelligent people just do not do.

Lane Splitting.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

Parachuting without a reserve 'chute.

SCUBA Diving alone, in a cave.

Stopping for gas in East St Louis, after midnight.

Having unprotected sex with someone who needs money to buy Meth.

So, do you feel lucky? I just don't understand why someone would intentionally add significant risk to an already risky endeavor.

I've logged over 500,000 miles on two wheels and been on my butt bleeding twice. The second time just last June 2018.

(A word about the photo. In May of 2018 I rode form near San Antonio to Ontario California to join "Run For The Wall" on their annual trek to Washington D. C. We then rode across the US in 10 days. And then I returned home. 6600 miles.) I've been riding over 50 years, helped the Army adopt the MSF curriculum in the '80s, and taught the MSF courses in Colorado, Georgia and Korea. Was trained by Honda to teach their Scooter and 3 - 4 wheeler classes. Motorcycling is not my hobby, it has been and always will be my obsession.)
Attached Images

Last edited by wichitagreg; 06-02-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11571.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
zx10guy5139.00
DETRoadster11446.00
      06-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitagreg View Post

Lane Splitting.

So, do you feel lucky? I just don't understand why someone would intentionally add significant risk to an already risky endeavor.

I've logged over 500,000 miles on two wheels and been on my butt bleeding twice. The second time just last June 2018.

(A word about the photo. In May of 2018 I rode form near San Antonio to Ontario California to join "Run For The Wall" on their annual trek to Washington D. C. We then rode across the US in 10 days. And then I returned home. 6600 miles.) I've been riding over 50 years, helped the Army adopt the MSF curriculum in the '80s, and taught the MSF courses in Colorado, Georgia and Korea. Was trained by Honda to teach their Scooter and 3 - 4 wheeler classes. Motorcycling is not my hobby, it has been and always will be my obsession.)
I'd like to note, all of those items on your list are also legal activities...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #37
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lane Splitting.

You do you, kind sir. Don't see why anyone would want to try and fit that huge bike between cars anyways (seen it done).
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #38
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

Of course your feelings on something you've never done should be considered valuable....thank you for weighing in. Motorcycles are scary to most folks that don't ride them too
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #39
charlieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Manual

I used to live in California. The one day i was taking it easy and didn't lane split to the front, a truck took an illegal left right in front of me. As much as I tried to slow in time, my bike impaled the side of the truck and I did a flip and a half twist over it.

Lady who stopped to make sure I was alright said that if it was the Olympics she would have given me a 10.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #40
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:

Lane Splitting.

Kindly disagree. A pilot could log the equivalent hours on a jumbo jet and he'd still nail the landing, going sideways from crosswinds. I commend your experience, but not splitting isn't going to prevent someone from nailing you from behind.

https://abc7.com/1-killed-3-hurt-in-...ested/5332337/

I'd rather lane split than sit smack in the middle of a lane with a Honda right up on my tail.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Kindly disagree. A pilot could log the equivalent hours on a jumbo jet and he'd still nail the landing, going sideways from crosswinds. I commend your experience, but not splitting isn't going to prevent someone from nailing you from behind.

https://abc7.com/1-killed-3-hurt-in-...ested/5332337/

I'd rather lane split than sit smack in the middle of a lane with a Honda right up on my tail.
Then Sir, may I ask, how do motorcyclists outside of the grand state of California survive without lane splitting? You Cali's act like it's a survival tool. What, is every one of you smoked up on weed and lose depth perception? Or is it the Tesla Autopilot just doesn't recognize motorcyclists and sees a MC brake light as the tail light of the car in front of it. What is it really?

And while I have less than half of wichitagreg's miles, I'm going with the rider who has half a million motorcycle miles under his belt.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #42
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I ride a lot of miles per year on 2 bikes. Commuting, canyon carving and track days

I have seen lane splitting in Cali and I would only do it in ‘parking lot’ conditions, not at over 40mph

I do like another piece that comes with lane splitting, which I wish we would do in CO. In rush hour at a light, I would like to lane split at low speed to the front. I have done it illegally (rarely) and most drivers seem cool with it, as I take off and am out of their way.

In rare occasions of major rain on the highway I have done low speed shoulder passing, which no one seems to care about either.

A novice should get a bike, take training, ride on the weekends to build some skilland then start commuting. Then decide whether they are comfortable lane splitting
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #43
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

my commute round trip is 90 miles per day. I've been riding to work year round since 2006. splitting about 1/3 of that distance.

I'm never the fastest or the slowest. Now that it's warm (squid season) I move over and let alot of bikes pass me as I split. IMO they go too fast meaning a high delta between their speed and flow of traffic. this does not give them time to read drivers they come up on nor does it give them time to react or brake.

rule for me: if you got cars on BOTH sides of you it's safe. once you have an open space on one side keep your senses up.

once I'm above 40mph I evaluate every car like I'm passing it. my throttle is constantly changing.

I don't think I'll do this outside CA. people here driving during commute hours know bikes will be splitting.

I have at least 4-500k miles on two wheels. NEVER have I seen a scared driver swerve INTO the noise that frightened them. there are ALWAYS grumpy old men that honk as you pass. a few passive aggressive type who won't move as they hug the line. by far drivers here are actually courteous to riders who aren't too aggressive.
      06-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #44
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:

Lane Splitting.

I disagree, l lane split on the regular & I agree with the helmet. I also do not ride a 1200 lb Harley , I love watching those guys try and ride the Tail of the Dragon with sparks come from their pipes and pegs and whatever Chrome adornement they have to drag (def not a knee ) and then wonder when why did they crash? ... hmmm could it be that unloading your rear suspension like that mid corner is a no bueno... , I've called in rescue workers for those guys more times than I care to remember.

Go ahead and add riding a full dressed Harley on the Tail of the Dragon at speed to your list of what Intelligent people do not do.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 06-07-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00