BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

03-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #573
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Very true. Carry on.
Carry ons are for poor people. I have a private jet.
Appreciate 1
FC41407.00

03-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #574
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
What's a Bolt?
Only poor people ask questions.
Well played.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #575
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm amused by the notion that modern BMW makes a sporty driving experience/chassis.
Well you drive a modern BMW, 2005 ain't a classic, far from it.
      03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #576
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 428i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

If I got to run the US, I'd convert the entire electrical production to nuclear fuel, and convert the coal fuel to gasoline and diesel for automotive transportation
Mind boggling stupid, nuclear power takes more infrastructure and energy to create and run than various other power-generation methods, which is why it's fallen out of favor. States got tired of spending way too much money on something that returns relatively small benefits. That doesn't mean we shouldn't invest in research to move towards sustainable/practical nuclear energy, as is being done, but as a practical power source it's turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment, because it takes so much incredible infrastructure and cost, which has more than offset the "cheap easy electricity" that was supposed to happen. Kind of like the Space Shuttle. We were able to "do it", but it was not a sustainable endeavor for the most part and never lived up to the cost/efficiency claims that were initially laid down.

Moving to renewable sources, as has been done in many places, offsets the ones that still have to use fossil fuels, and the power-generation technology is a lot easier to control than millions of vehicles with engines, and this in turn leaves us with more fossil fuels for things like air-travel, military, less reliance on imports, etc., all good things.

Do some actual research on what you say before you say it, you might be surprised at the facts...if you are brave enough to consider something that differs from your preconceived ideas.
      03-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #577
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 04 M3iT , 01 M5, 17 i3

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3 Wagon  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Well you drive a modern BMW, 2005 ain't a classic, far from it.
The e46 is in an awkward non modern, non classic place currently. It is the last stop/final evolution of the classic BMW design and philosophy, however, imoó and the last product of the old engineering team.

BMW moved the e39 to their classic catalog a couple of months ago. E46 is two years newer than e39, so itíll probably get moved in <2 years.

I have two e39s and two e46s, so half my street BMWs are classics, per BMW

Last edited by Obioban; 03-15-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #578
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Mind boggling stupid, nuclear power takes more infrastructure and energy to create and run than various other power-generation methods, which is why it's fallen out of favor. States got tired of spending way too much money on something that returns relatively small benefits. That doesn't mean we shouldn't invest in research to move towards sustainable/practical nuclear energy, as is being done, but as a practical power source it's turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment, because it takes so much incredible infrastructure and cost, which has more than offset the "cheap easy electricity" that was supposed to happen. Kind of like the Space Shuttle. We were able to "do it", but it was not a sustainable endeavor for the most part and never lived up to the cost/efficiency claims that were initially laid down.

Moving to renewable sources, as has been done in many places, offsets the ones that still have to use fossil fuels, and the power-generation technology is a lot easier to control than millions of vehicles with engines, and this in turn leaves us with more fossil fuels for things like air-travel, military, less reliance on imports, etc., all good things.

Do some actual research on what you say before you say it, you might be surprised at the facts...if you are brave enough to consider something that differs from your preconceived ideas.
I'm sorry. I can't stop laughing long enough to type more. Go look at France, Ukraine, or Korea.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #579
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Eftreeoh,

Go seat in model s and in bolt and tell me what is roomier. LOL
Just because the volume number is a higher number doesn't mean it's roomier. You can be cramped in the car and have excessive roof line with unnecessary space above your head. Yeah it's more volume
See if you can enjoy it.
Volume is only useful to measure cargo.

Thank god houses are measured as square footage

P.S. model 3 has even more volume measuring 97 cu ft.
I find the Bolt roomier.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #580
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry. I can't stop laughing long enough to type more. Go look at France, Ukraine, or Korea.
I bet people from Chernobyl didnt find it funny, or Japan
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #581
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I find it interesting that people only see EV as the ability to advance automotive tech.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #582
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I find the Bolt roomier.
you must have found the way to transform yourself into a smaller person when you testdrive Bolt
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #583
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I find it interesting that people only see EV as the ability to advance automotive tech.
Lets hear your ideas then...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #584
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E90) ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I bet people from Chernobyl didnt find it funny, or Japan
Nuclear reactor knowledge seems to be quite limited... most accidents are caused by human error on very old design reactors. Fukushima was a Gen 2 reactor designed in the 50ís and commissioned in the 70ís (by General Electric - an American company!). The Chernobyl reactor failure occurred during an experiment where they cut power to see what would happen (as a disaster recovery test). They turned off safety systems on purpose and fudged the test itself, and combined with the aging reactors design flaws and their own stupidity, caused the accident to occur.

The Gen 3 and 3+ reactors are significantly safer, and Gen 4 reactors will be revolutionary with the ability to recycle spent fuel, potentially up to 60 times (today reactors typically are ďone passĒ reactors), closing the nuclear fuel cycle! Thorium-based reactors have fuel in such abundance on the planet that it has the potential to power our needs for thousands of years, and is a promising technology. The passive safety alone on Gen 4ís would reduce a lot of meltdown risk (theoretically to zero).

There are around 450 nuclear power plants in active use with only 5 major accidents since the 80ís, 3 of which were all at the same place. Of course our goal is zero accidents, and highly automated, passively safe, Gen 4 reactors have that goal. Gen 3/3+ reactors have some of the same safety features added even today.

Bottom line is that nuclear is getting safer all the time, is pretty safe already, is in high usage already, and is growing in usage massively worldwide. The negative populist opinion on nuclear is largely an artificial construct that isnít really changing how governments are still actively investing and growing that segment, and governments always keep nuclear power on the down low - Iíd bet most people powered by nuclear today have no idea they are.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh6935.50

03-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #585
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, France, who is well known for subsidizing things, such as Airbus, Nuclear Power, etc. Great example. Bravo.
      03-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #586
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Bottom line is that nuclear is getting safer all the time, is pretty safe already, is in high usage already, and is growing in usage massively worldwide. The negative populist opinion on nuclear is largely an artificial construct that isnít really changing how governments are still actively investing and growing that segment, and governments always keep nuclear power on the down low - Iíd bet most people powered by nuclear today have no idea they are.

Thanks!

S.
The issue isn't that it's not safe, it's that the amount of engineering, design, security, resources, and so on, that goes into building a plant/reactor is such that it doesn't actually produce energy at the rate that pays off these investments. It still has it's uses in places, but it's far from the easy-energy-source it was thought to be years ago.
      03-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #587
JamesNoBrakes
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I find it interesting that Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, and others see EV technology as the way to advance automotive tech.

In the last few years, what has created the biggest push to increase times around tracks/courses? EV technology, specifically, the technology to recapture some of your brake energy and use it to launch you in the next straight-away.
      03-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #588
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by romemmy View Post
Nuclear reactor knowledge seems to be quite limited... most accidents are caused by human error on very old design reactors. Fukushima was a Gen 2 reactor designed in the 50’s and commissioned in the 70’s (by General Electric - an American company!). The Chernobyl reactor failure occurred during an experiment where they cut power to see what would happen (as a disaster recovery test). They turned off safety systems on purpose and fudged the test itself, and combined with the aging reactors design flaws and their own stupidity, caused the accident to occur.

The Gen 3 and 3+ reactors are significantly safer, and Gen 4 reactors will be revolutionary with the ability to recycle spent fuel, potentially up to 60 times (today reactors typically are “one pass” reactors), closing the nuclear fuel cycle! Thorium-based reactors have fuel in such abundance on the planet that it has the potential to power our needs for thousands of years, and is a promising technology. The passive safety alone on Gen 4’s would reduce a lot of meltdown risk (theoretically to zero).

There are around 450 nuclear power plants in active use with only 5 major accidents since the 80’s, 3 of which were all at the same place. Of course our goal is zero accidents, and highly automated, passively safe, Gen 4 reactors have that goal. Gen 3/3+ reactors have some of the same safety features added even today.

Bottom line is that nuclear is getting safer all the time, is pretty safe already, is in high usage already, and is growing in usage massively worldwide. The negative populist opinion on nuclear is largely an artificial construct that isn’t really changing how governments are still actively investing and growing that segment, and governments always keep nuclear power on the down low - I’d bet most people powered by nuclear today have no idea they are.

Thanks!

S.
As a government leader, I would prefer decentralized power generation to any large source for national security and decreased infrastructure requirements.

As an individual, I prefer the self reliance and decreased spending solar allows.

Last edited by Obioban; 03-16-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #589
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, France, who is well known for subsidizing things, such as Airbus, Nuclear Power, etc. Great example. Bravo.
Subsidizing? Do you give your Alaskan oil check back to Big Oil every year. LOL

Oh, yeah, never mind, the Governor stole all of them last year.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-16-2018 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #590
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As a government leader, I would prefer decentralized power generation to any large source for national security and decreased infrastructure requirements.

As an individual, I prefer the self reliance, and decreased spending solar allows.
So all the hundreds of millions of folks living in NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA ... all are going to have 10KW solar panels hanging off the side of their balconies? All the steel mills, car factories, plastics manufacturers are going to have consistent, reliable, high voltage power to make and build products?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:14 AM   #591
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find it interesting that Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, and others see EV technology as the way to advance automotive tech.

In the last few years, what has created the biggest push to increase times around tracks/courses? EV technology, specifically, the technology to recapture some of your brake energy and use it to launch you in the next straight-away.
Because they want to.... save the planet?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #592
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
So all the hundreds of millions of folks living in NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA ... all are going to have 10KW solar panels hanging off the side of their balconies? All the steel mills, car factories, plastics manufacturers are going to have consistent, reliable, high voltage power to make and build products?
Clearly not.

But, you're pointing out places it won't work. I'd stating what would be the best starting/default solution, which is then moved away from in instances where it's not viable.

It's a much better default/starting position than nuclear.
      03-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #593
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

As an individual, I prefer the self reliance, and decreased spending solar allows.
Don't be so literal
You can have many micro grids in remote areas with solar, wind and battery combo.
Tesla did a few projects in Australia and Puerto Rico with great success.
I like the concept of decentralized and redundant grids vs large nuclear plants.
If something goes wrong, whether it's a power plant or delivery part, you don't leave thousands for people with no power. It's much smaller subset of users affected. Also much easier and cheaper to fix/replace.
Not to mention it's clean and renewable
As for NY
https://electrek.co/2018/02/15/tesla...c-utility/amp/

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/offshorewind
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #594
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:

You didn't think this post through.
Appreciate 0