BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Can you be "Active" and still be fat.

01-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #67
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
There are exceptions to most rules, especially when it comes to being fit and losing weight. Marginally poor eating habits can be negated by exercise, when it comes to weight. Not when it comes to health, and no amount of healthy eating will replace 30 min of exercise a day when it comes to fitness.

If one is content with being unfit and at a "healthy weight" a good diet is all they need.
If one wants to be fit and not worry about weight, plenty of exercise is all they need.
If one wants to be a healthy weight and fit, a balanced diet and regular exercise is the prescription.
If one wants to be a healthy weight and exceptionally fit, they need a diet tailored to their goal and exercise regimen.
Yeah, that is a good distinction. I was talking weight only and not considering health.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #68
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yeah, that is a good distinction. I was talking weight only and not considering health.
I figured.

I do think it's worth while to talk about those distinctions. Lots of info gets twisted around these days. Like the 80/20 diet thing. People think that means to lose weight it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.

It's not, that 80/20 saying is in reference to good health. The ratio between diet and exercise to achieve good health is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Losing weight is 100% diet. Being fit is 100% exercise. At a small point in the middle, the diet and exercise circles overlap and things start to work on a macro level.

If one needs to lose 15 or more pounds, they'll be fully in the diet circle for a few months with the actual time focusing solely on diet varying with how much weight they need to lose. If they have no intentions of every being fit through exercise, they'll remain in the diet circle to control their weight and health.

If someone is at a healthy weight, but wants to get fit, they will focus all their efforts in the exercise category for a few months until they begin to build a fitness base. At that point, diet will begin to play a larger role in how well they can perform while exercising. This is that macro area of diet and exercise overlap.