BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photoshoot of your car - would you pay for one?

06-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Nah, no one on my IG has one. I would know if one did since IG is primarily used as a highlight reel of what you have and others don't.
Whats your username. I want to follow you.
Are you sure that's not taking our friendship to the next level? You'll see pictures of my mom, grandma, my dog, my homes-

I want mr attorney to have a fair shot with you!
      06-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Dude you are talented!! Let me know next time you're in Carlsbad! Maybe we can work out a deal
Thanks man!

And kind of laughing as I was exactly in Carlsbad 2 weeks ago, haha. Will definitely keep in touch on that.

LA is my home and I get to visit more often...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

I think everyone is making valid points, everyone does have a DSLR.

NOT everyone has a decent photo editing program/skills/time to do it for free. Unless a friend I wouldn't do it for free.

But I'm amateur so I also wouldn't charge much at all. Though she better be hot cause my time on the weekend is valuable and it takes some real motivation to get me to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #26
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Quote:
Dude you are talented!! Let me know next time you're in Carlsbad! Maybe we can work out a deal
Thanks man!

And kind of laughing as I was exactly in Carlsbad 2 weeks ago, haha. Will definitely keep in touch on that.

LA is my home and I get to visit more often...
Well either ones doable. I have a condo in downtown long beach and a beach home in Rosarito I go to on the weekends but seriously! 400 may be a bit much for me for a shoot- but we could work something out dollar wise that would keep the two of us happy.

Keep me posted! My 2016 m6 gets to crevier BMW in OC mid July!
      06-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
No, but my reasoning is different than most others. As P1et says, most people have a DSLR these days and the cameras are getting so good that most beginners can get a decent image. In their eyes it's fanfuckingtastic and if their skills grow, they'll look back on those images and realize the mistakes they made or how it's not the quality they thought it was. So to many, the image quality is relative to their abilities.

But the reason i wouldn't do it is because of location. P1et is a good example. Image quality, exposure, color balance, lighting, all great. But the back drops suck. The top image is nice, but the phone/power poles and phone/power lines are the first thing most people gravitate to and back to because they stick out in front of the lovely colored, somewhat overblown sky. All the images are nice, but the locations do the imagery no justice.

So if you had a portfolio of a few cars in certain locations that were awe inspiring while seeming to be lighted by magic and could tell me that you can recreate that image with my car, i would be more interested. Location is key and the most time consuming part of photography. Finding and experimenting with different locations is what really sets apart a pro photogs images from the rest of us with decent to great camera and post processing skills. Having a portfolio, having a meeting with a client, creating the expectations, all point to a successful photoshoot and even better, a satisfied client. So find a way to incorporate what you have to offer that's over an above what most people (especially on forums) have in mind when you say photoshoot. Most people envision the images P1et posted as a photoshoot end result. No offense to P1et, but those aren't images i would pay for. Not because they're bad, but i can go out this afternoon and produce very similar images on my own.

I spent a whole day with my first DSLR and M3 and got at the time what i thought were awesome images. Now, i see that most of them are mediocre at best. If i were to spend a day doing that again, i'd invest several hours of thought, and visit those locations for test shots and lighting evaluation before making a day of it.

No disrespect with the above comments. Just pointing out that with better back drops, your images would go form very nice to standing out from the rest of us who have those types of places as back drops.

To me, this is an example of a pay worthy photoshoot result.

Not disagreeing with you at all. Friend was in town, and we had an hour before dinner to shoot some photos. Results are what you see above. Downloaded the photos, spent a few minutes on each in post processing and called it a day.

The picture of the black car you posted, that must have taken quite a bit of time to take. Setting up the location, probably some external lights, and not to mention all the post processing in just that on image. The photographer better have gotten paid for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Yeah that Mansory Aventador shot is amazing. That's what automotive photography is about for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #29
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Damn you talented photogs all living in FL!

are there ANY talented SoCal photogs around these forums?!
lol, that's not my photo. It would take me about a week to capture that photo even if i could afford to pay the airfield / hanger owner for the time.

This my level of auto photography, similar to most everyone else because i can't be bothered to put in the time find a proper location to shoot at.

06-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #30
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Btw for anyone interested to see my work ( I know a lot of you have ) come and like my FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/photosbydmitriy

I mostly post landscapes there, but if you look through the photo albums there is one for automotive.

</shameless-plug>

Can you spare the $25 a year and get the photos on Zenfolio? I loathe facebook or flickr browsing, nightmare navigation wise.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #31
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Can you spare the $25 a year and get the photos on Zenfolio? I loathe facebook or flickr browsing, nightmare navigation wise.
Ha! I know what you mean.

I have had a Flickr Pro account for the better part of a decade, and won't be moving to a new site.

FB does suck but it is a great way to expand one's audience, get name out there. Their ads seem to work really well.

I've been doing a lot of research and ease of navigation and browsing is my #1 priority for the photography site I am developing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #32
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Zenfolio is awesome, it really is. For the price, i dunno how you beat it.

I have a gallery that needs cleaning up, this is likely the best one but feel free to click around.

http://alfiimages.zenfolio.com/p295011445
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #33
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Nope I can use a camera...its point and shoot..my car is beautiful I think but hardly model material for expensive films.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #34
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

OP, I wouldn't but that is because I am into photography, too. I don't think your average person would pay a lot for a pro, but would be willing to pay for a little for above average photos.

Quote:
I spent a whole day with my first DSLR and M3 and got at the time what i thought were awesome images. Now, i see that most of them are mediocre at best.
That reminds me....I need to clean out my flickr account for just that reason. Funny how that works.....at least you know that you are progressing skill-wise, though.

Quote:
This my level of auto photography, similar to most everyone else because i can't be bothered to put in the time find a proper location to shoot at.
I'm always looking....I just don't have the time to follow up. My fiancee always asks why I am looking at various places when we're out driving or running errands. I did learn that I am oddly drawn to industrial and run down places, though.
      06-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
OP, I wouldn't but that is because I am into photography, too. I don't think your average person would pay a lot for a pro, but would be willing to pay for a little for above average photos.

That reminds me....I need to clean out my flickr account for just that reason. Funny how that works.....at least you know that you are progressing skill-wise, though.

I'm always looking....I just don't have the time to follow up. My fiancee always asks why I am looking at various places when we're out driving or running errands. I did learn that I am oddly drawn to industrial and run down places, though.
Same here. There is this abandoned warehouse locally and I always end up going back there for pics. You can see what I mean in the pic below. Car belongs to my wife's best friend.

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #36
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I've always liked that one ^^
      06-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #37
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I'm still waiting on my camera to arrive, but it's more for videos too. I haven't done serious photography, but I want to get back into it... I think what I took was pretty decent, but of course, there's bound to be people with more skills than I do, but I do want to practice some more as well since I barely knew how to operate my D60 when I had one (and even then it was only for a few months before my landlord decided to start a childish argument and steal it).
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 06-04-2015 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #38
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
I'm still waiting on my camera to arrive, but it's more for videos too. I haven't done serious photography, but I want to get back into it... I think what I took was pretty decent, but of course, there's bound to be people with more skills than I do, but I do want to practice some more as well since I barely knew how to operate my D60 when I had one (and even then it was only for a few months before my landlord decided to start a childish argument and steal it).
What did you buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #39
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
What did you buy?
An EOS T6s. Has all the features I want (even subtly more than the 70D) without breaking the bank.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #40
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
An EOS T6s. Has all the features I want (even subtly more than the 70D) without breaking the bank.
Nice choice. Cannot go wrong with that. What lenses?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #41
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Nice choice. Cannot go wrong with that. What lenses?
It came as a kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, but I'm not stopping there once my demands change and/or I have the budget for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #42
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Not me. I will just have the photo class student with expensive equipment to practice on my car for free.