BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum No Touchscreen on Future Z4s

01-10-2022, 08:50 AM   #243
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 30i

Did anyone pick up a Z4 with the touch screen delete? Likes/dislikes? Mine has been "at the port" since 12/20, and I'm still not sure if I'll accept delivery(I may as I did get a good deal on my trade in), so feed back is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #244
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANXIX View Post
Did anyone pick up a Z4 with the touch screen delete? Likes/dislikes? Mine has been "at the port" since 12/20, and I'm still not sure if I'll accept delivery(I may as I did get a good deal on my trade in), so feed back is appreciated
I picked mine up Dec 27 but it does have a touchscreen. I’ll say this, I didn’t think I would use the touchscreen very much, I assumed I would want to use the center console controller or voice control, boy was I wrong. The nature of the system makes the touchscreen a must. Now that I have the touchscreen, I can’t imagine not having it.

So my advice is to wait for the touchscreen option. Others may disagree, that’s what makes the world go around.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 12:26 AM   #245
Blaster1956
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBeemer View Post
I picked mine up Dec 27 but it does have a touchscreen. I’ll say this, I didn’t think I would use the touchscreen very much, I assumed I would want to use the center console controller or voice control, boy was I wrong. The nature of the system makes the touchscreen a must. Now that I have the touchscreen, I can’t imagine not having it.

So my advice is to wait for the touchscreen option. Others may disagree, that’s what makes the world go around.
Do you know when exactly yours was built out of interest?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:23 AM   #246
spbonzo
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

I've only ever used my touchscreen for inputting addresses for the satnav but I now send them to the car via the app. Personally, if the car hadn't got a touchscreen I wouldn't miss it.
Appreciate 2
IM2C2065.00
      01-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #247
pinky2022
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbonzo View Post
I've only ever used my touchscreen for inputting addresses for the satnav but I now send them to the car via the app. Personally, if the car hadn't got a touchscreen I wouldn't miss it.
That's what everyone that HAS one say yet no one has given it up.
Do yourself a favor and reset your idrive7 to factory. No profiles. Nothing.
Then set it all up without touch screen.

Oh and then try to sell it to anyone of us see if we are buying it
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2022, 05:07 PM   #248
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster1956 View Post
Do you know when exactly yours was built out of interest?
Yes I do. It went into production on Aug 7, 2021. If you’re curious, it has all the packages I.e. shadow line, drivers assist and premium. It also has Harmon Kardon and Advanced Cruise Control or whatever ACC stands for. So it was maxed out. It’s also an M40i.

It arrived in Baltimore around end of November and sat there for a few weeks waiting for a Receiver Audio Module.

But I will say, it’s easily the best car I’ve ever driven from a driving perspective. It’s a great roadster and you can tell it was designed for the fun of driving.
Appreciate 1
Kwajtrader1072.50
      01-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #249
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Yes I do. It went into production on Aug 7, 2021. If you’re curious, it has all the packages I.e. shadow line, drivers assist and premium. It also has Harmon Kardon and Advanced Cruise Control or whatever ACC stands for. So it was maxed out. It’s also an M40i.

It arrived in Baltimore around end of November and sat there for a few weeks waiting for a Receiver Audio Module.

But I will say, it’s easily the best car I’ve ever driven from a driving perspective. It’s a great roadster and you can tell it was designed for the fun of driving.
ACC = Active Cruise Control
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #250
Blaster1956
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

OK, so I guess it was built before the Touchscreen issue hit production. I'm interested to know if any Z4's have been built recently and have Touchscreens.

Great spec by the way, I have an M40i due in March and can't wait!!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #251
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK, so I guess it was built before the Touchscreen issue hit production. I'm interested to know if any Z4's have been built recently and have Touchscreens.

Great spec by the way, I have an M40i due in March and can't wait!!
My build started in late August and showed up at the dealer at the end of December. It has a working touchscreen. But I believe some people who's builds started after mine didn't have the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #252
Blaster1956
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Another Datapoint to add. My M40i build has just completed and moved to status 8200 (Released to Carrier). Only deletes showing on spec today according to Genius Team are as follows (Both were expected):

6P1 Wi-Fi functions, temporary deletion & preparation for Remote Software Upgrade
Z6W Deletion of Wireless Charging

So I'm as confident as I can be that it should arrive with a Touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:07 AM   #253
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Another Datapoint to add. My M40i build has just completed and moved to status 8200 (Released to Carrier). Only deletes showing on spec today according to Genius Team are as follows (Both were expected):

6P1 Wi-Fi functions, temporary deletion & preparation for Remote Software Upgrade
Z6W Deletion of Wireless Charging

So I'm as confident as I can be that it should arrive with a Touchscreen.
Cool, keep your fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #254
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2022 View Post
That's what everyone that HAS one say yet no one has given it up.
Do yourself a favor and reset your idrive7 to factory. No profiles. Nothing.
Then set it all up without touch screen.

Oh and then try to sell it to anyone of us see if we are buying it
Don't forget you lose the backup assist if you are missing the touchscreen. I've used it a few times and it's awesome when you need it.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #255
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I wrote an email to the BMW Genius team telling them I am considering canceling my order due to the touch screen being deleted, when my order was put in with a touch screen. To my surprise I received a call today from BMW.....apparently someone escalated my email up the chain. The woman I spoke to agreed with me that this was a problem. She even said she wouldn't accept a car without a touch screen. She advised me to speak to my dealer concerning the touch screen, and see what can be done. She then said that BMW could retro fit the touch screen once they become more plentiful as a warranty claim. I asked her twice just to confirm. This is the first I'm hearing of this, and I don't know how accurate it is....but I figured i'd share it here.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #256
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Any chance you had her send you that statement about the warranty claim as an email or snail mail.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #257
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Any chance you had her send you that statement about the warranty claim as an email or snail mail.
I agree that should definitely be sent to BRIANXIX in writing!

Once received I would recommend speaking to the service manager at the dealer and see if they are capable and willing to do this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #258
HokieBeemer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wrote an email to the BMW Genius team telling them I am considering canceling my order due to the touch screen being deleted, when my order was put in with a touch screen. To my surprise I received a call today from BMW.....apparently someone escalated my email up the chain. The woman I spoke to agreed with me that this was a problem. She even said she wouldn't accept a car without a touch screen. She advised me to speak to my dealer concerning the touch screen, and see what can be done. She then said that BMW could retro fit the touch screen once they become more plentiful as a warranty claim. I asked her twice just to confirm. This is the first I'm hearing of this, and I don't know how accurate it is....but I figured i'd share it here.
This has been my understanding of the Z4 touchscreen issue all along. I don’t think BMW ever had intentions of removing the touchscreen from the Z4. It’s never been removed from the BMWUSA website. To say another way, you’ve always been able to build a Z4 with a touchscreen and touchscreen has always been listed in the standard features. Whereas on other models the touchscreen is not listed as an option.

I recently picked up my Z4 (Dec 27 to be exact). I had been communicating with my dealer since I ordered it Aug 7. My dealer told me they had the “touchscreen fix” in stock but they had been waiting for the Receiver Audio Module…which I ended up waiting a month for.

I think BMW’s plan is to upgrade to the touchscreens for the Z4 but some dealers simply don’t want to be bothered with it. If they can sell a Z4 without a touchscreen, that’s just fine with them.

There seems to be a disconnect between BMW Corp and some dealers. There’s no doubt that some Z4’s are being shipped without touchscreen but I think BMW wants those upgraded when possible.

Who knows? I was fortunate enough to have a vehicle that never showed touchscreen deleted, but my dealer definitely made it clear that there was a touchscreen fix for other vehicles and she had received that upgrade in stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #259
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think BMW’s plan is to upgrade to the touchscreens for the Z4 but some dealers simply don’t want to be bothered with it. If they can sell a Z4 without a touchscreen, that’s just fine with them.

There seems to be a disconnect between BMW Corp and some dealers. There’s no doubt that some Z4’s are being shipped without touchscreen but I think BMW wants those upgraded when possible.
If BMW confirms in writing that they will supply a touchscreen the key point that needs to be reconfirmed is whether or not the dealer will do the work.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #260
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Looks like this is another example of poor communications that BMW is having with its customers. Same as I had during my build process.

Seems like more and more companies are forgetting about their customers and customer loyalty will suffer.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #261
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Looks like this is another example of poor communications that BMW is having with its customers. Same as I had during my build process.

Seems like more and more companies are forgetting about their customers and customer loyalty will suffer.
Subaru is the same way. Haven't heard jack crap about our crosstrek build.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #262
BRIANXIX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
If BMW confirms in writing that they will supply a touchscreen the key point that needs to be reconfirmed is whether or not the dealer will do the work.
Just a follow up.
First I didn't even think to ask for it in writing, but I should have. I'm not convinced the rep was confident with her answer. Seeing I never heard of this, I can not say its policy...maybe the rep was misinformed.

Second, she kept referring me back to the dealer, which only made me think she was passing the buck, or maybe there is a plan in place to replace the screens as a warranty issue.

Third, I do wonder if it makes sense to write two programs for the system updates, or if its cheaper to just replace the screens. After all if it was only a for few weeks, how many can it be?

Finally I'm getting the car either way as the deal I worked out is too good to pass up(I got big $ for my trade). So I guess I'll be the guinea pig
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #263
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Just a follow up.
First I didn't even think to ask for it in writing, but I should have. I'm not convinced the rep was confident with her answer. Seeing I never heard of this, I can not say its policy...maybe the rep was misinformed.

Second, she kept referring me back to the dealer, which only made me think she was passing the buck, or maybe there is a plan in place to replace the screens as a warranty issue.

Third, I do wonder if it makes sense to write two programs for the system updates, or if its cheaper to just replace the screens. After all if it was only a for few weeks, how many can it be?

Finally I'm getting the car either way as the deal I worked out is too good to pass up(I got big $ for my trade). So I guess I'll be the guinea pig
It doesn't hurt to ask for it in writing.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:00 AM   #264
mgarofano
BMW Addicted
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, X6 M Competiton

Hi everyone! My Z4 M40i was just delivered (Italy) with the infamous touch screen deletion issue (marked as 6UY when doing a VIN lookup). The dealership has not been particularly helpful, except offering some extra credit towards buying accessories. They broke the news to me just 1 day prior to taking delivery. I was obviously outraged but did not feel like refusing the car and taking the gamble of waiting several more months only to know this time chip shortage could affect other components.

Now I’m looking at retrofitting a touch-enabled replacement display but I am stuck with uncertain information regarding the correct part number. When I enter my VIN in any parts catalogue, I am finding part 65505A0E6C0 which, I am afraid, is a component they purposely coded for non-touch replacement displays. Everyone I know seems to point me towards part 65509441889 instead, which should be the default 10.5" display for left-hand drive G29 cars. Is anyone with a similar 2021 G29 (M40i, end of 2021) able to find the correct touch-enabled replacement display for a VIN that does not belong to a car that was affected by touch-deletion ? Thank you!

Last edited by mgarofano; 01-28-2022 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0