BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Frozen Gray Gone?

08-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #45
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditorycanvas View Post
You have more patience than me, I'd be going crazy right now if I had to wait that long

Yeah, i'm in LA, haven't seen a single one here yet, which I really didn't expect.

I debadged it, as the badges took up a lot of real estate on the s30, a lot of people keep asking me what car it is. I wasn't expecting it to turn many heads, given the amount of high end cars here, but seems people really like it.

If you're ever in LA, you're welcome to come take it for a spin while you wait for yours.
haha thank you and so cool you have yours already! I used to get to LA for business in my old job fairly often to Newport Beach or Irvine area but current gig doesn't get me there (yet). But might have to invent something as I love these grey cars! enjoy the amazing new car and thank you for the offer! - Ted

PS: mine in still "in the paint booth" so they must be putting 50 million layers of paint on this darn thing. or they are waiting for the paint to freeze..... doing my best to be patient but my last BMW order in 2007 took 3 months to get my M Coupe Z4 exactly as I wanted it in the color I had to have. Worth the wait (or so I tell myself!)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #46
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Anyone still managing to order frozen gray in August? (In Canada).
      09-02-2019, 01:43 AM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12play View Post
Few more pictures. Car is now debadge as had to take off to apply ppf corectly and bmw wanted £230 to replace the bonnet
Badges and 2 side ones. If you zoom in on bonnet you will see the join. Follows line of rear wing.
Sexy!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #48
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
haha thank you and so cool you have yours already! I used to get to LA for business in my old job fairly often to Newport Beach or Irvine area but current gig doesn't get me there (yet). But might have to invent something as I love these grey cars! enjoy the amazing new car and thank you for the offer! - Ted

PS: mine in still "in the paint booth" so they must be putting 50 million layers of paint on this darn thing. or they are waiting for the paint to freeze..... doing my best to be patient but my last BMW order in 2007 took 3 months to get my M Coupe Z4 exactly as I wanted it in the color I had to have. Worth the wait (or so I tell myself!)
I spent last weekend doing the Dr. Beasley's coating. Got the whole $170 kit for $130 on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to confess to just using a decent car wash on my previous 4 series, so this felt like a whole lot of work haha.

I bought a pressure washer, gave it a good clean with the Dr. Beasley's soap, then did the ceramic coating. Took a while to get it smear free, but the effort was worth it. Have since used the finisher too.

The ceramic coating did seem to add a subtle touch more satin to the finish, but I think that will fade as the coating ages a bit. It doesn't seem to hold dust quite as much as before, and water just beads and rolls off, so I'm really happy with it overall.

I do recommend getting very good quality applicator sponges, and microfiber cloths for the coating, unless you get the starter kit instead, which comes with everything else as well.

I have a really small surface scratch by the driver side door handle already. If it was a gloss finish it would polish out in 20 seconds, but with this finish, there's no way to remove it. So my only concern with this finish is trying to keep it scratch and nick free...Stone chips are going to be a complete nightmare.

I do not recommend this paint finish to anyone with OCD haha
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #49
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
I spent last weekend doing the Dr. Beasley's coating. Got the whole $170 kit for $130 on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to confess to just using a decent car wash on my previous 4 series, so this felt like a whole lot of work haha.

I bought a pressure washer, gave it a good clean with the Dr. Beasley's soap, then did the ceramic coating. Took a while to get it smear free, but the effort was worth it. Have since used the finisher too.

The ceramic coating did seem to add a subtle touch more satin to the finish, but I think that will fade as the coating ages a bit. It doesn't seem to hold dust quite as much as before, and water just beads and rolls off, so I'm really happy with it overall.

I do recommend getting very good quality applicator sponges, and microfiber cloths for the coating, unless you get the starter kit instead, which comes with everything else as well.

I have a really small surface scratch by the driver side door handle already. If it was a gloss finish it would polish out in 20 seconds, but with this finish, there's no way to remove it. So my only concern with this finish is trying to keep it scratch and nick free...Stone chips are going to be a complete nightmare.

I do not recommend this paint finish to anyone with OCD haha
The Z4 looks fantastic in the frozen grey but your post is the exact reason why I opted for the Saphire black in the end. Although if it is any consolation my car took absolutaly ages to fully clean and protect yesterday also.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #50
bwilkins
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Oi

Garage List
Frozen Grey

Just picked up my 2020 Frozen Grey Friday.
Reading about the touchy techniques to wash the car. "NO MICROFIBER TOWELS", " NO WAXES". Already have oily stains on front of side mirrors and they won't come off ??
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #51
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilkins View Post
Reading about the touchy techniques to wash the car. "NO MICROFIBER TOWELS", " NO WAXES". Already have oily stains on front of side mirrors and they won't come off ??
I ordered the Mr Beasleys starter kit thanks to suggestions here on the forum. My frozen grey is at the port ready to ship so haven't treated it yet but from what I saw online the spray to remove crap is first step before washing it. And I plan on putting the sealent on as soon as my car arrives. Also got separate bucket so as not to mix my shiny Zaino shampoo (used elsehwere) and get it on the new car.

Have always garaged my cars and will be putting fewer miles on this car and will likely stop work in a year or two so took the plunge with this color as absolutely love the look. I was at a concert at a local winery Friday night and Mercedes who is a sponsor had a beautiful sedan in a frozen blue that was really cool but think the frozen grey is the perfect color for any frozen look. Enjoy the awesome new car!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #52
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

Quote:
The Mr. Beasleys paint cleanser is really good at removing stains and bugs etc. Just spray it on, wait a minute, and wipe.

Microfiber towels are fine, they provide them in the kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #53
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
But the mirrors aren't frozen grey - they are cerium.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
JustChris17426.00
      09-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #54
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

thanks to others on this forum for the advice on caring for it and how to track on ship. frozen grey car ordered a while back finally showed up on the ship today and can now track it - on the Garnet Leader and in the English Channel. Long wait until I get it on West Coast... now hoping no icebergs on the way - glad it is summer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #55
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
thanks to others on this forum for the advice on caring for it and how to track on ship. frozen grey car ordered a while back finally showed up on the ship today and can now track it - on the Garnet Leader and in the English Channel. Long wait until I get it on West Coast... now hoping no icebergs on the way - glad it is summer.
At least yours is moving. Mine is still sitting at the port - been there over two weeks.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #56
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

Just did my first wash since applying the Dr. Beasley’s coating a few weeks ago. Did an interim dust and clean last week with the finisher.

I have to say that was the easiest wash I’ve ever done. Just a quick dry off with a huge microfiber drying cloth, and it was done. No streaks, perfect looking finish. So much easier than having to polish/wax.

I’m wrapping the A pillars (outer) tomorrow with mat textured carbon fiber wrap. Planning on doing the inside A pillars soon too, if I like the outcome of the outers. I’ll post pics when it’s done.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #57
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just did my first wash since applying the Dr. Beasley’s coating a few weeks ago. Did an interim dust and clean last week with the finisher.

I have to say that was the easiest wash I’ve ever done. Just a quick dry off with a huge microfiber drying cloth, and it was done. No streaks, perfect looking finish. So much easier than having to polish/wax.

I’m wrapping the A pillars (outer) tomorrow with mat textured carbon fiber wrap. Planning on doing the inside A pillars soon too, if I like the outcome of the outers. I’ll post pics when it’s done.
Can't wait to see and great hear on the washing!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #58
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait to see and great hear on the washing!
Here's some quick iphone photos. I love how it looks. Think I'm going to do the mirror black parts, and side vents to match.

Still need to chrome delete the grill too.

Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      09-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #59
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Actually, on this one I wouldn’t mind keeping the mirrors as is. Is the color significantly different (I can’t tell from the photos, plus I am slightly color blind...)?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #60
auditorycanvas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Actually, on this one I wouldn’t mind keeping the mirrors as is. Is the color significantly different (I can’t tell from the photos, plus I am slightly color blind...)?
I would only do the black parts of the mirrors, but yeah, I’m not 100%, as it might be a bit too much. Color wise, it’s not quite as deep as the black, more of a very very dark grey (carbon color). The glossy version tends to look at a bit darker.

Not sure if the side vents will work in carbon due to it being tough to keep the lines straight when it requires uneven stretching. Going to take it to a wrap shop and see what they think, as it’s way beyond my capability.
Appreciate 1
CeEl477.50
      02-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #61
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Late to the party...

I passed on Frozen Grey and went with Alpine White, black rims and black trim package. The interior is Magma Red (looks more orange to me). It's too bad they don't offer Mineral White or that would have been an easy choice over Alpine White. I think Alpine White maybe needs a high gloss to look good though since it's not a metallic color to begin with.

Still waiting for delivery, maybe late this week or next. Mine is an M40i with all options. It's still winter here of course, but the roads are mostly free of snow, water or dirt. I'm going to be real tempted to take it out for a spin.

FYI, I really did like frozen grey, but couldn't get past conditions of owning the color.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #62
Paul G29
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i & X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Late to the party...

I passed on Frozen Grey and went with Alpine White, black rims and black trim package. The interior is Magma Red (looks more orange to me). It's too bad they don't offer Mineral White or that would have been an easy choice over Alpine White. I think Alpine White maybe needs a high gloss to look good though since it's not a metallic color to begin with.

Still waiting for delivery, maybe late this week or next. Mine is an M40i with all options. It's still winter here of course, but the roads are mostly free of snow, water or dirt. I'm going to be real tempted to take it out for a spin.

FYI, I really did like frozen grey, but couldn't get past conditions of owning the color.

Rob
Ordered my M40i frozen grey yesterday. Read about the maintenance issues, but since it will not be a daily driver I think I´ll be fine. I like keeping my vehicles shiny so this is a new challenge! Mine is delivered in April. Got to sell the Boxster....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #63
Stevej2316
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Late to the party...

Rob
Ordered my M40i frozen grey yesterday. Read about the maintenance issues, but since it will not be a daily driver I think I´ll be fine. I like keeping my vehicles shiny so this is a new challenge! Mine is delivered in April. Got to sell the Boxster....
I have the frozen grey and it really is easy to maintain. Look into the Dr Beasleys matte paint products.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #64
Paul G29
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i & X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2316 View Post
I have the frozen grey and it really is easy to maintain. Look into the Dr Beasleys matte paint products.
Will do. Thanks Steve!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #65
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Thanks Steve!
echo that. I have frozen grey as daily driver and am using Beasleys and find it very easy to maintain - surprisingly so. in fact the frozen paint does not show dirt so when dirty it does not show as much as other cars I have had by a wide margin. scratches and nicks when they do eventually happen however will likely be an entirely different story!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #66
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Mine is not a daily driver either, but I just have zero room for washing a car at my condo. And you certainly won't be keeping that Z4 'shiny'

Rob
Appreciate 1