BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board It really is location, location, location

10-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #155
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
The injection guns never bothered me. The 'peanut butter' shot in butt was terrible.
I am SO glad the dieahbeetus saved me from service, even though I've had to take 4 shots a day since 1982.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
eluded2959.00
      10-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #156
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Do you remember what 'Peanut Butter's' real name is?
I was thinking of Gamma Globulin (or immunoglobulin).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_globulin

They use something very different these days, but during my tours in Korea in the late 70's, we got the big GG shots. Hurt like hell for days.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #157
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

we didnt get a peanut butter shot in my bct. we got it in pill form
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:32 AM   #158
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Funny that you guys remembering the vaccinations as well as read. I would have to consult my certification book. The only remarkable was against yellow fever before heading to Africa in the late 80s, we all had to travel to the next bigger military hospital miles and miles away because that was the only station who had the special stuff.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #159
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Funny that you guys remembering the vaccinations as well as read. I would have to consult my certification book. The only remarkable was against yellow fever before heading to Africa in the late 80s, we all had to travel to the next bigger military hospital miles and miles away because that was the only station who had the special stuff.
one of our shots/pills was reportedly "stopping us from getting boners for 5 months"

but i never found out. i didnt get hard once throughout training due to being surrounded by smelly guys, not from a pill
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      10-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #160
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Back on topic......where I currently live I can have something pretty nicely equipped with a big lot in the $250K range. I'm 10 minutes from the NC mountains with all those fun roads, 45 minutes from Greenville which has plenty of nightlife and good food...although it's growing rapidly, 30 minutes or so from some snow skiing, and only 3.5 hours away from Charleston and the beach.

My daughter moved out last year, and they will actually be moving again pretty soon when she starts at Duke.

Add in the fact that my in-laws owns their own "rock" and construction business so that I could get most of my upgrades on the cheap, and they have done quite a few high-end homes in Asheville.

As much as I hate to be in debt as my current mortgage is paid off, I could still swing buying something in that range outright if I were to dig into savings after selling my current home.

I'm perfectly fine where we are at, but my wife has other plans. We sold some land not to long ago, so I could end up reinvesting that into another piece of property that makes her happy...and eventually building so that I can spread the cost out and us have ultimate say in what we end up with. We aren't looking for anything massive.....but do want out of a neighborhood and to have some privacy.

Location means everything, but it also pays to know people in the business as you can save a lot of money by doing some of the stuff yourself with their help.

We will probably keep the land up near Boone for our "away" place.

Either way....the cheaper I can accomplish it...... the more it leaves for me to have the detached shop/garage of my dreams!
      10-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #161
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
You guys need to come to TX, no income tax and costs approx 150-200/ft to build custom new.

Here's just under 500k new construction with 4-car garage about 45-50 mins commute to downtown Dallas...
https://www.zillow.com/homes/13842-F...49773679_zpid/

1m will get you the same type of house with double the sqft, tradeoff is the property taxes are high here
Don’t tell people to come here. Stay the fuck out. Thankfully housing prices in Dallas have finally started to stabilize after the past decade of insane appreciation.
Appreciate 1
Todd0131379.50
      10-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #162
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I used to spend hours looking at real estate whenever I came across a new area in someone's "Location:"

At the end of the day, a big house is not what I really care for. Sometimes I look at people in a one bedroom apartment and get jealous.

***If I was loaded, then a 7,000-12,000 sq. ft house would be awesome. I am not loaded, so it's pretty pointless to have such a big house. I'd have to pay someone to clean it, utilities would be crazy, maintenance would be outrageous, etc. Every time I hear a slight noise, I panic and think, "how much is this going to cost me?"

Great! I can have a 12,000 sq ft house but can't afford to put toilets in all of the bathrooms. I guess it could be fun creating makeshift toilets/buckets to stick over the hole in the bathroom floor.

"Honey! I am headed to the tin can toilet."
"Thanks! I'll be right back after I go to the two bucket toilet."
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #163
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Don’t tell people to come here. Stay the fuck out. Thankfully housing prices in Dallas have finally started to stabilize after the past decade of insane appreciation.
LOL it was a bit crazy last couple years. Things are normal now thankfully. I will probably break even on my current place, but I bought at the top of the market and rent the spare bedroom, so it pays for itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
I used to spend hours looking at real estate whenever I came across a new area in someone's "Location:"

At the end of the day, a big house is not what I really care for. Sometimes I look at people in a one bedroom apartment and get jealous.
Very much this. I live in a 1000sqft condo and don’t want/need any more space. I’m probably going to move next year, but that’s only due to my desire for a garage over my current carport setup. I could even take a place smaller to stay in my same area. The low maintenance life of condo-ownership is a no brainer, even when factoring in the HOA fees

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #164
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I posted earlier in this thread. I've been in my house for 3 years and I'm very thankful and blessed to be able to have what me and the wifey have worked hard for each and every day. from the moment I drive to work or running errands to the time I pull into the garage i'm always thankful and appreciative what I have and I never ever take it for granted. is it too much house? maybe but it suits my families needs. love the big yard and I love my big garage! I think for what I paid for and where I live it's definitely worth every penny
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #165
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Dude if I consider your garage the thinking comes to mind that you had built or bought your house just to have the garage

What Kelse92 had mentioned correctly is the fact of the very low costs for condos, we're paying well calculated monthly fees for "whats in case of" and thats more affordable for me atm than having the curved and sometimes necessary costs for a house. On the flipside you have to deal with the other owners of the condos and hell, there are some of them who made me regret to buy...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #166
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I posted earlier in this thread. I've been in my house for 3 years and I'm very thankful and blessed to be able to have what me and the wifey have worked hard for each and every day. from the moment I drive to work or running errands to the time I pull into the garage i'm always thankful and appreciative what I have and I never ever take it for granted. is it too much house? maybe but it suits my families needs. love the big yard and I love my big garage! I think for what I paid for and where I live it's definitely worth every penny
Hey...if you can afford it and you guys like it....I don't see a thing wrong with it. It will be the place that you and your family probably make the most memories with having the kids there and all.

Enjoy it...the kids grow up too fast and then you find yourself like us and actually wanting something a little smaller and more easily manageable. But you got plenty of time for that.

Right now it fits your "stage" in life. It's a beautiful place and for what you paid, you are already ahead!
      10-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #167
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Hey...if you can afford it and you guys like it....I don't see a thing wrong with it. It will be the place that you and your family probably make the most memories with having the kids there and all.

Enjoy it...the kids grow up too fast and then you find yourself like us and actually wanting something a little smaller and more easily manageable. But you got plenty of time for that.

Right now it fits your "stage" in life. It's a beautiful place and for what you paid, you are already ahead!
Thanks Rmtt!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #168
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx__xs View Post
we didnt get a peanut butter shot in my bct. we got it in pill form
Still in the butt though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

***If I was loaded, then a 7,000-12,000 sq. ft house would be awesome. I am not loaded, so it's pretty pointless to have such a big house. I'd have to pay someone to clean it, utilities would be crazy, maintenance would be outrageous, etc. Every time I hear a slight noise, I panic and think, "how much is this going to cost me?"

Great! I can have a 12,000 sq ft house but can't afford to put toilets in all of the bathrooms. I guess it could be fun creating makeshift toilets/buckets to stick over the hole in the bathroom floor.

"Honey! I am headed to the tin can toilet."
"Thanks! I'll be right back after I go to the two bucket toilet."
What real estate sites were you looking at that were selling houses without toilets already installed?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #169
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Just for giggles, thought I'd post the photo I took this weekend from the back of my property, overlooking the AT.

This is my view at only $10K(ish) an acre. Why do people live in CT, OR, or WA again? Lol, just kidding of course - they are lovely in their own right.

Did I mention I don't have any state income taxes?

Attached Images

vreihen1614892.50
Dang3r12503.00
Rmtt8206.00
      10-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #170
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Still in the butt though?
SO tempted to make this quote my signature!!
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12503.00
      10-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #171
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Just for giggles, thought I'd post the photo I took this weekend from the back of my property, overlooking the AT.

This is my view at only $10K(ish) an acre. Why do people live in CT, OR, or WA again? Lol, just kidding of course - they are lovely in their own right.

Did I mention I don't have any state income taxes?

"Did I mention I don't have any state income taxes?"

THIS! When I read the OP - I was like - yeah but it's in IL! A doomed state that 50K tax payers are fleeing each year! My GF lives in IL. She pays OVER DOUBLE the yearly property tax on her 2000 SF 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre lot than I do on my 160 acre farm in MO! Taxes are insane there. Gas is usually .30-.40 higher per gallon there, I make sure I fill up before I cross into IL.

She is also 27 years into teaching, so her pension relies on IL surviving - but I don't think it will make it unless the Fed bails them out sometime in the future.

When her last is out of high school - she is out of there. It is too bad, the town she lives in is a very cool little town. I would love to wind up in a town just like it.......only in another state. LOL
      10-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #172
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
"Did I mention I don't have any state income taxes?"

THIS! When I read the OP - I was like - yeah but it's in IL! A doomed state that 50K tax payers are fleeing each year! My GF lives in IL. She pays OVER DOUBLE the yearly property tax on her 2000 SF 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre lot than I do on my 160 acre farm in MO! Taxes are insane there. Gas is usually .30-.40 higher per gallon there, I make sure I fill up before I cross into IL.

She is also 27 years into teaching, so her pension relies on IL surviving - but I don't think it will make it unless the Fed bails them out sometime in the future.

When her last is out of high school - she is out of there. It is too bad, the town she lives in is a very cool little town. I would love to wind up in a town just like it.......only in another state. LOL
I agree about the cool towns but bad locations, lol.

I love some of the towns in CT on the coast. Same goes for some NC mountain towns. But I refuse to live in those states - it just doesn't make sense financially. I've been buying up property for rental income and after a long hard search, ended up purchasing foreign holdings instead of places here in the USA - for the simple fact that I couldn't find anything that gave a good ROI due to excessive taxation and regulations here in this country.

Oh well, it is what it is.

FWIW - my tax bill on my home in the city was about $800 or so last year. It's a new construction (well, it was in 2015 when I built it) 1600sf home in a planned community. Assessed value was around $225k.
      10-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #173
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
LOL it was a bit crazy last couple years. Things are normal now thankfully. I will probably break even on my current place, but I bought at the top of the market and rent the spare bedroom, so it pays for itself

Very much this. I live in a 1000sqft condo and don’t want/need any more space. I’m probably going to move next year, but that’s only due to my desire for a garage over my current carport setup. I could even take a place smaller to stay in my same area. The low maintenance life of condo-ownership is a no brainer, even when factoring in the HOA fees
I'm considering selling my home and getting a condo with a garage. I work 55-60 hours a week, spend 10-12 hours a week at the gym and have a girlfriend. I barely have time to sleep. When I'm off on the weekends, it seems like all I do is yard work and house upkeep, something is always breaking/broken or needs work. I can't seem to find time to actually enjoy life. It's a continual run from one task to the next. I seriously need to simplify my life.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
Rmtt8206.00
      10-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #174
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm considering selling my home and getting a condo with a garage. I work 55-60 hours a week, spend 10-12 hours a week at the gym and have a girlfriend. I barely have time to sleep. When I'm off on the weekends, it seems like all I do is yard work and house upkeep, something is always breaking/broken or needs work. I can't seem to find time to actually enjoy life. It's a continual run from one task to the next. I seriously need to simplify my life.
Financially, I would see no issue with this, so long as you are cognizant of three things:

1) You buy a condo, don't rent it.

2) You are aware of condo association fees, HOA fees, and any maintenance fees, and incorporate that into your calculations to ensure they are not eroding all of your equity.

3) You can commit to living there a minimum of 5 years. Any less and it won't be a smart move financially, due to buying and selling agent fees, closing costs, and so forth.
      10-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #175
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Doesn't show ANY space suitable for cooking under a lunar lighting source
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15579.50
      10-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #176
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post