BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Zukunft (Future) Z4 M40i With Manual Transmission - Frozen San Remo Green

12-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Zukunft (Future) Z4 M40i With Manual Transmission - Frozen San Remo Green

Quote:
The 2024 BMW Z4 M40i offers everything one desires in a roadster, from an impressive soundtrack to a superb 6-speed manual

BMW is pulling an iconic “Apple One More Thing” next year with the introduction of an exciting “old”, yet new product. Welcome the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i with a six-speed manual. This ultimate roadster has been rumored for years now and even though we spilled the beans earlier this year, not many took notice. Now, the car is finally here and it’s a glorious one. A few weeks ago, BMW invited me to row my own gears in a stunning Frozen San Remo Green 2024 BMW Z4 M40i prototype. BMW tells me that this six-speed manual Z4 was developed specifically for the U.S. market with a lot of involvement in the development process from the U.S. product team.

Manual Transmission Revival: Tailored for the U.S. Market

While the overall looks of the car have not changed much, the underpinnings have. So let’s start with that. Under the hood, we’re still getting the glorious B58 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine making 382 horsepower. But instead of sending the power to the tried-and-proven ZF 8-speed automatic, BMW decided to give the Z4 a proper send off. And that means a revised six-speed manual transmission, also developed by ZF.

During my ride with the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i, Nick Gerstner, Product Manager of BMW Z4, tells me that the transmission was engineered specifically for this new Z4. It has a shorter gear lever and a completely different shifting behavior than all of the 6-speed manuals offered today in other BMW products. Plenty of new and old M2/M3/M4 customers complained about the somewhat vague and rubbery shifter in their cars. The first to second gears of the BMW six-speed are always twitchy, with long throws, making it a bit difficult to have a clean shift.

It’s well known that the F87/G87 M2, G8x M3/M4 and Toyota Supra share a common ZF 6-speed transmission with comparable shafts and clusters. Any variation in shift feel is likely attributable to differences in the isolation and bushing of the gear lever. This is the reason why the six-speed manual in the Supra feels different and, arguably, superior. The Japanese automaker opted to uniquely tune their manual transmission to align with the Supra’s character. BMW took note of this, particularly in response to customer feedback.

Let me start with this: The revised six-speed manual in the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i is fantastic! The shorter shifter is great, the shifting is quicker and more precise (think Porsche transmissions), and going from first to second is extremely smooth. The third gear is still quite long allowing you to take the Z4 to high speeds before having to shift. Couple this revised six-speed manual with the equally fantastic B58 six-cylinder and you have a winner on your hands. The rev matching works brilliantly as well, but of course, you can turn it off if you’d like.

Staggered Wheels, Adaptive Dampers, and Rear-End Enhancements

But there is a lot more to the new 2024 BMW Z4 M40i. The M Performance Z4 comes with a staggered wheel setup, 19 inch at the front and 20 inch in the back. The staggered wheels will give you additional rear traction, along with a more aggressive look. But at the same time, the Z4 loses a bit of its balance in favor of a more playful rear end with increased understeer when cornering. Speaking of the rear-end, the axle assembly now comes from the BMW M240i, including its rear M differential.

Additional mechanical and software adjustments involve reinforced front anti-roll bar mounts and recalibrated adaptive dampers. These changes heavily influence the driving dynamics of the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i. While driving on a series of winding roads, the new BMW Z4 M40i displayed exceptional agility, featuring precise turn-ins, and a responsive and grippy front-end. Although I didn’t push the car to its limits (given the sole Z4 prototype in the States), it delivered a remarkable composure and rigidity, virtually eliminating any noticeable body roll.

Regrettably, I didn’t get the opportunity to evaluate the new BMW Z4 M40i on various pavements, as those around Greenville were consistently smooth. However, at an initial assessment, the suspension setup appears somewhat firmer. I’m curious if there are any stiffer bushings incorporated as well. On the whole, the suspension noticeably approaches that of an M car, a development that will surely resonate with buyers longing for the return of the iconic Z4 M.

Refined Steering Tuning

Weighing in at approximately 3550 lbs, the Z4 M40i delivers a sense of lightness not typically found in other contemporary BMWs, surpassing the agility of models like the M240i or M2. Positioned low within the vehicle, and with the open top, I got that feeling of direct connection to the car, reminiscent of the iconic driving dynamics associated with the Ultimate Driving Machine. This feeling is further heightened by the refined steering tuning, which, despite no mechanical alterations, delivers more road feedback than any other BMW I’ve recently tested. Notably, it reduces the previous dead spot in the middle, offering increased precision and sharpness—arguably the best in a BMW today.

The combination of the six-speed manual and the B58 3.0 liter turbo is brilliant. The Z4 M40i is constantly eager to pull hard making the car feel a lot lighter than it is. You will, of course, get some tailspin under high lateral forces, but you will only feel the rear end’s limit if you add some steering angle. Granted, I need more seat time to really push the car and see what it can do. A track would be even better!

Evolution of Driving Modes in the 2024 Z4 M40i

The driving modes are also tuned different in this 2024 BMW Z4 M40i. In the model we tested earlier this year, there was a wide gap between Comfort and Sport. But in this new iteration, they feel fairly close to each other, bringing them in-line to what you’d feel in a full M car. In fact, I would actually call this Z4 the M40is, not full M yet, but more than an M Performance automobile model.

The driving modes in the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i have undergone distinct tuning. In a prior model tested earlier this year, there was a substantial contrast between Comfort and Sport modes. However, in this latest iteration, the models have a much narrower gap, aligning more closely with the experience found in a full M car. In essence, I would even characterize this Z4 as the M40is—not quite a full M, but certainly more than an M Performance model.

A Compelling Choice for Enthusiasts

During my test drive of the BMW Z4 M40i in early 2023, I mentioned that if there were room in my garage and my 1M wasn’t already there, this would unquestionably be the BMW I’d choose to purchase today. It undeniably embodies the essence of the Ultimate Driving Machine! And this new variant takes that a statement a notch. Is it a full M car? Of course not, but it’s the closest we’ll ever to a Z4 M.

In the end, this BMW stands out as the most enjoyable car you can currently buy from the brand, destined to become a future classic. It offers everything one desires in a roadster, from an impressive soundtrack to a superb six-speed manual transmission. This showcases BMW’s ability to fine-tune the 6-speed manual to perfectly complement the car’s character. The hope is that we’ll witness this improved transmission in upcoming models, whether in a facelifted M2 or unique, one-off models.

We will learn more about the colors, packages and options in early 2024, but for now it looks like BMW will bundle the six-speed manual with all the other hardware and software upgrades into a single package. So if you want the manual, you need to buy into this overall upgrade.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/12/11/b...manual-review/

Quote:
BMW Z4 M40i Automatic Won’t Get The Manual M40i’s Goodies

At long last, BMW has finally confirmed what we’ve been reporting on for months if not years. The Z4 M40i is getting a stick shift after all, and that six-speed manual gearbox is coming along with several other changes. However, the sporty roadster with a clutch pedal is not going to lend its novelties to the standard model available with the eight-speed Steptronic transmission.

But what exactly is so different about the new Z4 M40i flavor? For starters, the row-your-own-gears convertible inherits the rear axle assembly from the M240i, including the differential. In addition, it rides on staggered wheels, measuring 19 inches at the front and 20 inches at the rear for extra grip at the back. By the way, you can’t get the automatic model with 20-inch wheels from the factory. With the two-pedal variant, you can only choose from several 18- and 19-inch alloys that are the same size at both axles.

The purist version of the Z4 M40i is further differentiated courtesy of recalibrated adaptive dampers and sharper steering. BMW’s engineers have also installed stiffer anti-roll bar mounts at the front to make handling even more enjoyable. You’re not sacrificing any power since the inline-six engine continues to deliver 382 horsepower. However, we’ll remind you the European version of the M Performance Z4 is significantly detuned compared to its American sibling by packing only 335 hp.

There is one downside, although we’re sure it won’t be an impediment. Sources close to BMW have told us that buying the Z4 M40i with the manual gearbox is going to command a $3,500 premium over the auto. Consequently, prepare to pony up around $70,000 to get the ZF-developed transmission specifically adapted for this car. You won’t have to hurry because this will be a permanent member of the lineup rather than a limited-run special edition.

Well, “permanent” might be a bit of a stretch since the G29 generation is rumored to be discontinued from Magna Steyr’s plant in Graz, Austria in early 2026. A direct replacement is unlikely to be planned. In other words, the six-speed Z4 M40i may very well be the model’s last hurrah.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/12/11/b...anual-version/

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 12-12-2023 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 12
n55f151265.00
ebirotedu1458.50
SpeedyATL1848.00
stlcdr1005.50
MT6717.00
thereef5101164.00
OVERLND99181.50
      12-11-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

New color choices are always a good thing.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 08:00 AM   #3
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Green does look nice, but not a fan of the twin colors on the wheels.

Also the 20s in the rear look too rubber-bandy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:17 AM   #4
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Green does look nice, but not a fan of the twin colors on the wheels.

Also the 20s in the rear look too rubber-bandy IMO.

They left out the details of how wide the contact patch is now. Maybe 295’s?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #5
vertigo corsa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 AMG C63S

The car looks so much better on 20's, even if its the rear only.

Last edited by vertigo corsa; 12-11-2023 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: text edit
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #6
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Finally!! But another dark color...? Also I noticed how they moved the top function to the right side of the shifter. Staggered setup is interesting, but they also need to provide an optimized suspension setup (not sure adaptive dampers alone solve the body roll esp when really pushing it)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #7
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Finally!! But another dark color...? Also I noticed how they moved the top function to the right side of the shifter. Staggered setup is interesting, but they also need to provide an optimized suspension setup (not sure adaptive dampers alone solve the body roll esp when really pushing it)
Welcome back, see you in a manual Z4 in a few months! Lol
Appreciate 1
SpeedyATL1848.00
      12-11-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Welcome back, see you in a manual Z4 in a few months! Lol
Bwahaha. Perhaps I'll pick one up in 2026 right before they kill it.

Right now I'm loving the M3 - the S58 needs to be in the Z4 with a true M setup. 'Nuff said.
Appreciate 3
SpeedyATL1848.00
Balr14551.50
dmicah769.00
      12-11-2023, 08:50 AM   #9
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Glad to see that the 6-speed is happening. I dig the frozen green paint and the bi-colored wheels too.

The $3500 price increase seems a bit steep though given that the mechanical changes detailed in the story seem fairly minor. I guess I'll wait to see some instrumented test results and more feedback on whether the revised steering & suspension tuning are really significant - and whether any of those changes are software that can be backported to existing cars.

**EDIT - skimmed the MT review linked in the Z4 manual thread. Seems consistent with the BMWblog write-up, which is to say enthusiastic but missing some details. Very encouraging though! Admittedly, I am mostly interested in possibly backporting any improvements to my car - the manual alone isn't going to be enough to get me to upgrade.

Last edited by ebirotedu; 12-11-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Balr14551.50
      12-11-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Glad to see that the 6-speed is happening. I dig the frozen green paint and the bi-colored wheels too.

The $3500 price increase seems a bit steep though given that the mechanical changes detailed in the story seem fairly minor. I guess I'll wait to see some instrumented test results and more feedback on whether the revised steering & suspension tuning are really significant - and whether any of those changes are software that can be backported to existing cars.
Will be interesting to see, I think the 20 inch wheels will be optional on regular M40i and that will also mean suspension/software updates come for the ride.
I’d be very surprised if the manual had all those exclusive bits alone.

EDIT!
Based on what autoblog review states
“The 6MT’s chassis changes will not carry over to the 8AT model. This definitely ups the why-buy factor of the manual Z4; people who plunk down for one of these are getting a roadster that’s significantly more special.”
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1458.50
      12-11-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Finally! I think we sort of knew it was coming, it's good to see it confirmed.

So they've improved the shift feel over the other manuals in the lineup, and improved the steering feedback as well, more than any other current car it says.

Woohoo!

I'll be calling my dealer again today, making sure I'm indeed on whatever list they have.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
Balr14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Oh Boy, just what I needed, bigger wheels with less sidewall... NOT! I think they should have stopped at 18", but that's just me... and most people who live where the roads suck.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #13
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I'm very confused by this... I have a 2024 and no Manual or these colors were available for purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:26 AM   #14
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I'm very confused by this... I have a 2024 and no Manual or these colors were available for purchase.
It’s been a rumor for over a year that SOP would be March 2024. Dealers won’t tell you until it’s official.
Appreciate 1
Horseman4109.00
      12-11-2023, 11:49 AM   #15
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
It’s been a rumor for over a year that SOP would be March 2024. Dealers won’t tell you until it’s official.
The BMW USA site hasn’t been updated yet. One would think that with all of these reviews which were timed to release on the same date, they would also show the new options/ colors on BMW’s site.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #16
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
They left out the details of how wide the contact patch is now. Maybe 295’s?
285 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #17
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

That green is nice! Should I trade satin white for satin green...hmmm.
      12-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #18
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcdr View Post
That green is nice! Should I trade satin white for satin green...hmmm.
The Motor Trend stated, “It includes your choice of two, exclusive-to-manual-cars green paint jobs, exciting stuff for fans of cars that aren't grayscale.”

Side from the Frozen San Remo Green in the pictures I wonder what the other green shade will be?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:27 PM   #19
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
285 I believe.
Most likely as they are the standard 20" on the MxC units. That said would be nice to see 295 or 305 on the car.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #20
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Heh. That explains what that lonely manual Z4 they made in October was for.

Note that officially it will be a 2025 model. Dealers and the site configurator are still working off the 2024 data.
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #21
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
The BMW USA site hasn’t been updated yet. One would think that with all of these reviews which were timed to release on the same date, they would also show the new options/ colors on BMW’s site.
They won’t do that until March - or at least January. The about Z4 page has been down for months - probably until they sort this out. Interesting that the 6 speed manual won’t be just an “option” but a unique build with its own wheel options and colors.

And the excitement over more colors doesn’t really get me. The San Remo green or satin SR green is not exactly an exciting option. Cool color but they couldn’t even spring for British racing green. SMH.
Appreciate 2
stlcdr1005.50
      12-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #22
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
C&D said:

"So, in addition to the electronically controlled M differential that all M40i Z4s get, the manual's steering is tuned to provide more feel, and the adaptive dampers are recalibrated to suit aggressive driving. Stiffer front anti-roll-bar mounts are intended to caffeinate turn-in and clamp down on body roll."

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1