BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos UK - To Buy? E46 3 Series vs C209 CLK vs Others

03-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
icecold601
BMW Knight
Rep
Drives: BMW

UK - To Buy? E46 3 Series vs C209 CLK vs Others

Residence: United Kingdom

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've visited these forums!

To cut a long story short, I'm looking at buying a second-hand BMW 330i/325i or Mercedes CLK 320/500 or another car in the same bracket. (Any thoughts on these engines?) I'm not looking at spending more than £4000 which is tight for a decent machine but there are deals floating in this area.

After researching, and with my limited knowledge, I have concluded that I'd be happy with the 3 Series Saloon over the Coupé and the CLK only comes as a Coupé anyway.

Critically, I like the straight-six engine in the BMW, the size of the car, the aesthetics, the maintenance and insurance (from what I've seen so far) and more. Against this, I like the Merc's interior finish (the CLK is pretty sweet inside), smoothness and looks again.

To be perfectly honest, I'd take the 3 Series without considering the price but there seem to be some decent CLK deals at similar prices to the BMW on AutoTrader, eBay and other such places.

What would you guys recommend, being experts, enthusiasts and generally people with more car experience than myself? Are there any other cars in this class that I should be looking at?

Many thanks and best wishes!

TL;DR: E46 3 Series vs C209 CLK vs Others. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each to own second hand?

Last edited by icecold601; 04-24-2016 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #2
waleed030
Registered
Rep
Drives: sfgsfg

After researching, and with my limited knowledge, I have concluded that I'd be happy with the 3 Series Saloon over the Coupé and the CLK only comes as a Coupé anyway.
      04-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #3
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold601 View Post
Residence: United Kingdom

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've visited these forums!

To cut a long story short, I'm looking at buying a second-hand BMW 330i/325i or Mercedes CLK 320/500 or another car in the same bracket. (Any thoughts on these engines?) I'm not looking at spending more than £4000 which is tight for a decent machine but there are deals floating in this area.

Critically, I like the straight-six engine in the BMW, the size of the car, the aesthetics, the maintenance and insurance (from what I've seen so far) and more. Against this, I like the Merc's interior finish (the CLK is pretty sweet inside), smoothness and looks again.

To be perfectly honest, I'd take the 3 Series without considering the price but there seem to be some decent CLK deals at similar prices to the BMW on AutoTrader, eBay and other such places.

What would you guys recommend, being experts, enthusiasts and generally people with more life/car experience than myself? Are there any other cars in this class that I should be looking at?

Many thanks and best wishes!

TL;DR: E46 3 Series vs C209 CLK vs Others. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each to own second hand?

I can't say there are any disadvantages, minus the Saloon vs Coupe aspect... I would say figure out which one you like the best ...overall (Drive, Interior). Then find someone that took good care of that model your after. I doubt either will be more expensive than the other for repairs.

An Audi A4 , Golf GTI( Not in the same class, but bang for buck)
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
E46driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

At one point in time I had the pleasure of having both a 325ci and clk 350. The 325ci handled and felt much better than the clk in regards to the fun to the drive factor where as the clk felt like the better car overall. More power, more room, better sound deadening and more comfortable seats.

Really what it boils down to however is what you want and don't want. The clk honestly drives like a boat compared to my e46 but on a straight completely obliterates it and sounds much better doing it in the process. I found myself however dosing off in the clk very often whereas in e46 was just straight up sheer driving pleasure.

Can't go wrong with either I hope this helped.

Wrote this drunk.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | M-Spor | BMW Performance Exhaust | Active Autowerke Headers | BBS CH-R | CPS Front Lip | Performance Front Grills | 888Concepts Custom Headlights (GONE)

2011 Alpine White E90 N55 335i Automagic
Appreciate 1