BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Autocar: BMW design boss defends radical styling direction

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #155
LayneMarkJohnson
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2015 Alpine White 435i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I'm Not Buying Ugly

I've owned two 4 Series coupes. I wanted to buy a new one next year. I won't be buying one if the grill is as ugly as predicted. So, that's a lost sale for BMW. I'll either go with an M340xi or start test driving MB's.

Such a shame. I really love my 4 Series coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #156
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
153
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I had a series of BMW's until the Bangle-Butt came and I switched to Mercedes for my next three cars. Bangle went and I came back to BMW. But, when my two BMW leases are up, next year, it's back to Mercedes for me because of these hideous snouts.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #157
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1681
Rep
5,126
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Consumers will vote with their wallets. My vote will be NO.
__________________
///f97 comp | f80 ZCP| f80 | f30 | e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 1
clee1982751.00

      10-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #158
lcs1956
Enlisted Member
30
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 1993 525i 344k miles
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Meh... ugly car can sell well. Just look at Teslas. We have a giant Asprin, Platypus, Aztek with gullwings. They are doing just fine.
They're just selling them to the wrong people.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #159
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
2216
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Not blocked from G80/G82 because I'm an adult

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
I had a series of BMW's until the Bangle-Butt came and I switched to Mercedes for my next three cars. Bangle went and I came back to BMW. But, when my two BMW leases are up, next year, it's back to Mercedes for me because of these hideous snouts.
Meh. MB's new designs are good for people that want to blend in and disappear in traffic as their new front ends are incredibly generic and boring. I was going to compare it to Toyota but IMO a new Camry looks more exciting than most new MB's.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1586.50

      10-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #160
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
2216
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Not blocked from G80/G82 because I'm an adult

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Consumers will vote with their wallets. My vote will be NO.
I always wonder why people say things like this. Who cares? Certainly not BMW as sales have been good this year outselling MB in September. In the consumer world you don't really matter as an individual as there's always a lineup of people that will take your place purchasing the product. Your NO vote isn't hurting BMW.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1586.50
Sedan_Clan9575.00

      10-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #161
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1587
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Well, he's an idiot.
Then apply for his job then and shows us your better design ideas.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
clee1982751.00
///M TOWN4358.00

      10-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #162
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1587
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Consumers will vote with their wallets. My vote will be NO.
I always wonder why people say things like this. Who cares? Certainly not BMW as sales have been good this year outselling MB in September. In the consumer world you don't really matter as an individual as there's always a lineup of people that will take your place purchasing the product. Your NO vote isn't hurting BMW.
Amen. Like venting in the ''nets has any effect on executive decisions..
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982751.00

      10-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #163
Paisano
Private
Paisano's Avatar
Canada
20
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: M4 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Hooydonk-Honker?
Nice! #2 make it so.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #164
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
622
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Desert

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't mind the snout to be honest. I found it ugly at first but started warming up to it eventually. I find it less offensive than Audi and Lexus grills. But I probably won't be getting this car for other reasons - I have enough coupes and wanted a convertible M4. The moment I knew this was getting a soft top I thought I'd wait for a C8 vert or a CPO F83. I picked an SL63 over an M6 vert and CPO BCGT vert back in 2015 for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #165
otay
Major
otay's Avatar
United_States
731
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 2016 550i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
BMW design has always been ahead of its time. People complain initially because the design is unfamiliar. But years down the road, the design becomes mainstream because everyone starts copying BMW. That's why the e60 still looks great today, more so than when it first came out.
Nah. Lexus and Audi have had huge grilles for years. BMW is the one copying...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #166
Logical
Lieutenant
159
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Berkshire County

iTrader: (0)

Where do u put the license plate??
__________________
2015 F85 X5 M
2015 F86 X6 M (Retired)
2014 F10 M5 (Retired)
2010 E70 X5 M (Retired), 2010 E92 M3 MT (Retired)
2006 E60 M5 (Retired), 2000 E39 M5 MT (Retired)
1999 E39 328i (Retired), 1995 525i (Retired)
1987 325i (Totaled - that was fun!)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #167
cc3
Major
497
Rep
1,298
Posts

Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G20
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: .UK

iTrader: (0)

Stopped buying BMW the design is so poor. Better options available.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #168
M0011
Major General
M0011's Avatar
1681
Rep
5,126
Posts

Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
Consumers will vote with their wallets. My vote will be NO.
I always wonder why people say things like this. Who cares? Certainly not BMW as sales have been good this year outselling MB in September. In the consumer world you don't really matter as an individual as there's always a lineup of people that will take your place purchasing the product. Your NO vote isn't hurting BMW.
Let me unpack this for you bud. What you have is a text book "straw man" argument.

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

I stated 2 facts.

1. Consumers will vote with their wallets. This is an undisputed fact. Some will buy the car and some won't.

2. I will not.

Your straw man argument states that I believe BMW cares what I do and that I matter as an individual.

It may turn out that new Frankengrille will be a sales hit. It may not. I simply stated that I will not buy the car. I did it on a car forum under a relevant topic.
Rant over.
__________________
///f97 comp | f80 ZCP| f80 | f30 | e92 | tt | S5 | e92 | 350z | e90 |
Appreciate 4
      10-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #169
Sophisticated Redneck
Major
623
Rep
1,043
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

My biggest problem with this: ITS JUST LAZY...WHY can't their be a East and West version of the grills? The bump in sales would more then make up for the additional production line costs...like I said just freaking LAZY from BMW...then trying to convince us it's "edgy" and "progressive" instead of the truth of who it was Really designed for...lazy asshats


Hmmmm, me thinks there is going to be a HUGE aftermarket for new BMW's nose reduction kits!!! OR maybe this is BMW'S diabolical plan all along...it comes with this hideous snout unless you pay an extra 5K for the "Western Hemisphere" version.... Brilliant!!! Well played BMW....

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 10-11-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #170
J-RO
Major
1465
Rep
1,062
Posts

Drives: BMW 2 series
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: A Place I Like To Call “You’ll See”

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Those are all subjective statements. We all find different things beautiful or ugly......tasty or nasty.....etc. There are no definitive answers when it comes to subjective things.
Isn't every post by everyone on this forum subjective?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #171
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
9575
Rep
18,186
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Those are all subjective statements. We all find different things beautiful or ugly......tasty or nasty.....etc. There are no definitive answers when it comes to subjective things.
Isn't every post by everyone on this forum subjective?
Not every, but most....yes.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1586.50

      10-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #172
Ross Z4M40i
New Member
Ross Z4M40i's Avatar
Netherlands
30
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: BMW Z40 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Maastricht

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW S 1000 XR  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Who actually LIKES these huge grills? I've heard that it's primarily to the Chinese market who love the things.
I do. I mean I really do. Until some 20 years ago I loved the design of a LOT of BMW models. Then a long period followed where I practically didn't like ANY. I drove Audi, Alfa Romeo (even though a friend of mine is a BMW dealer) until the new Z4 saw the light. It was different and that convinced me to buy one. Of course, the technics and performance were always top notch, but the design did nothing for me.
The new 4 stands out again, and I love it. Really hope they don't change the design too much for the production version 🤔

I can't believe that I'm the only one??
Appreciate 2
MarkDemma469.50
Sedan_Clan9575.00

      10-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #173
Sophisticated Redneck
Major
623
Rep
1,043
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Z4M40i View Post
I do. I mean I really do. Until some 20 years ago I loved the design of a LOT of BMW models. Then a long period followed where I practically didn't like ANY. I drove Audi, Alfa Romeo (even though a friend of mine is a BMW dealer) until the new Z4 saw the light. It was different and that convinced me to buy one. Of course, the technics and performance were always top notch, but the design did nothing for me.
The new 4 stands out again, and I love it. Really hope they don't change the design to much for the production version 🤔

I can't believe that I'm the only one??
Ya I think you literally are the only one...Are you Chinese? Zing!!! Racist joke of the day!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #174
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
1015
Rep
1,500
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
Bangle'd
Wrong. Hooydonked.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #175
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
1015
Rep
1,500
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #176
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
4358
Rep
4,328
Posts

Drives: M GmbH
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Where do u put the license plate??
In the trash.

Front plates are for the garage wall at best.
__________________
///
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST