BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) New HAAS livery

03-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
This is my guess, tell Russian daddy that his boy can drive this year and as part of it he buys the team next year. Go ahead and put your flag on it.

Most of the teams make a lot more sense as a billionaires hobby than an actual business and I think Haas has fully realized he is in a sport where he has close to zero chance of ever winning regardless of how well it is managed or the drivers he gets.
I think 2022 and 2023 will change this. While there will be inertia from the previous rules, the limitations on spend and the reduction of aero testing time for success will have them in a good place for those years.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #24
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I think 2022 and 2023 will change this. While there will be inertia from the previous rules, the limitations on spend and the reduction of aero testing time for success will have them in a good place for those years.
Policing how much MB or any of the large team spends will be impossible. They work on battery or regenerative systems at their plant in Alabama and F1 is hoping the correct amount of money is allocated to production cars and F1? Teams have shown over and over they are willing to cheat if they think they can get away with it, $$$'s spent is too easy, even an F1 person sitting on site couldn't figure it. Maybe the amount they cheat will still make the show better than it is now.

Reduction on aero testing, maybe actual time with an F1 car in the wind tunnel but again I have doubts about the abilities of Haas compared to MB with both computer modeling and the talent at each company. How many Engineers at MB are experts in aero compared to Haas and what can they get from equal amount of time in the wind tunnel? Can't imagine their software and development tools are even close to the same. Then Haas and Racing Point have and continue to try to get help from there parent teams wherever possible and we're back to the F1 police trying to figure it out.
      03-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #25
Navwick
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M2, ‘19 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
This is my guess, tell Russian daddy that his boy can drive this year and as part of it he buys the team next year. Go ahead and put your flag on it.

Most of the teams make a lot more sense as a billionaires hobby than an actual business and I think Haas has fully realized he is in a sport where he has close to zero chance of ever winning regardless of how well it is managed or the drivers he gets.
I like Gene Haas, I think he’s a smart guy, and I think a US team is important to grow the sport here in the US. But I also think his estimates must have been WAY off regarding how much he could compete in F1 and how much it would cost him personally. Every time they show him on DTS, it looks like reality hitting him in the face.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00