BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What Phone is This?

06-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #45
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzMMM View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but Apple didn't invent "the notch." It was released almost a year earlier on the Essential Phone (a company owned by Andy Rubin, the inventor of Android).

Apple has been the follower for a while now...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #46
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Sorry to break it to you, but Apple didn't invent "the notch." It was released almost a year earlier on the Essential Phone (a company owned by Andy Rubin, the inventor of Android).

Fist of all, no one buys the Essential phone and Apple's Notch contains more than just a camera and no bottom bezel. The notch with bezeless design is an Apple first.

You really think Apple "followed" Essential? You are hilarious. I bet Essential sold <1M phones total, ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #47
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
-make changes in something established

The literal definition of innovation says you’re wrong
That's one definition but according to Webster's it's an archaic one. Current: to introduce as or as if new; do something in a new way .

By your definition, I would agree Apple is innovative. By the above definition, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Saying I'm an iLemming just makes you the opposite. You are just flat out wrong.

You aren't paying attention if you don't see the innovation and blatant copy of Apple. The entire Android OS is a copy of iOS. Apple invented this space, period. Jobs wanted to go "thermonuclear" on Android because it IS so clearly a copy of iOS, particularly earlier Android. Apple just won their long time lawsuit with Samsung for COPYING them. Fact.

Let me list the ways the industry copies Apple.

They continue to lead by removal of headphone jack in favor of wireless solutions (Google made fun of this, then did it to their own Pixel), secure facial recognition (still uses 30,000 data points for 3D mapping vs 4,000 for this particular copy, others use a non-secure 2D process), Animoji which Samsung JUST copied (without being close to as good), mobile leading silicon in their A series chips, the highest rated screen (yes, Apple's Samsung OLED was better than Samsung's Samsung OLED), continued industry leading physical design that is copied in looks and materials used time and again (Pixel, Xiaomi, etc), Apple Watch (which leads the industry and is now a phone itself), Airpods (which many like Google have since tried to copy, and fail) and continued software innovations like Portrait Mode and Studio lighting which was copied by Pixel and later by Galaxy phones. Oh and Apple actually attempts to secure your data. See the Xiaomi privacy policy? You are the product.

This is why Apple makes 90% of the mobile profit and has sold over 1B iPhones. You think all those people bought junk they could have had for cheaper? There is a reason people buy Apple gear. Many of those who don't buy it just can't afford it and will once they can (see growth in China).
Take off your bloody rose coloured glasses. Apple did not invent this space ... if anyone did, it was RIM. Are there Android devices that appear to be Apple knockoffs? Never said there weren't.

However, when you say the entire Android OS is an Apple knockoff you completely prove how little you know and how wrong you are. There's simply no truth in that. You are assuming I said somewhere that Android is superior which I didn't say. I have a preference for Android because I prefer the flexibility in personal choice that Apple doesn't provide, but I never said it was superior. Since my wife has all iOS products I am pretty familiar with Apple and I much prefer the user experience I get from Android. You are confusing your preference with quality and/or innovation. It's not ... it's just your preference. BB10 and Windows Phone ... those were superior and innovative operating systems, but didn't survive. You might not have noticed how much Windows Phone UI made it into iOS over the past few years, but there's a lot of it by the way. That Apple sells millions of phones doesn't make it better than someone else's product. If quality of the OS = sales, Apple and Android would be out of existence by now. Remember Beta vs VHS?

As for the rest of your rant, it's quite unbelievable. Could you possibly drink more Cupertino flavoured Kool-Aid?

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 06-01-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
EALm43347.50
      06-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #48
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

As for the rest of your rant, it's quite unbelievable. Could you possible drink more Cupertino flavoured Kool-Aid.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Look the reality is... that its kind of irrelevant who invented what... who capitalized, best marketed it, got it accepted and sold it is who matters...

again... myspace vs facebook
netscape vs google
taxis vs uber

That is modern reality...

Guess what Leaonardo Da Vinci invented a type of flying contraption...
      06-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #50
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Quote:
Quote:

Fist of all, no one buys the Essential phone and Apple's Notch contains more than just a camera and no bottom bezel. The notch with bezeless design is an Apple first.

You really think Apple "followed" Essential? You are hilarious. I bet Essential sold <1M phones total, ever.
Apple Fan Boy

Please don't start crying. It will all be ok!!!
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 1
EALm43347.50
      06-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #51
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
That's one definition but according to Webster's it's an archaic one. Current: to introduce as or as if new; do something in a new way .

By your definition, I would agree Apple is innovative. By the above definition, I don't.
From the webster's dictionary website:

"Innovation, for its part, can refer to something new or to a change made to an existing product, idea, or field. One might say that the first telephone was an invention, the first cellular telephone either an invention or an innovation, and the first smartphone an innovation."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

Quote:
As for the rest of your rant, it's quite unbelievable. Could you possibly drink more Cupertino flavoured Kool-Aid?
Quote:
Apple Fan Boy

The Kool-Aid is my APPL stock after the 7 for 1 split of 2014.

And I'm drying my tears with dividends.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 06-01-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #52
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
From the webster's dictionary website:

"Innovation, for its part, can refer to something new or to a change made to an existing product, idea, or field. One might say that the first telephone was an invention, the first cellular telephone either an invention or an innovation, and the first smartphone an innovation."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

The Kool-Aid is my APPL stock after the 7 for 1 split of 2014.

And I'm drying my tears with dividends.
Word. How many shares?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #53
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Apple Fan Boy

So much substance in your retort. AAPL hit an all time high today, so we're good.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Word. How many shares?
More than 1 but less than 1000.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #55
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Now, none of you will get any criticism from me on the wisdom of having bought AAPL. Then again, not complaining about 262% on Microsoft, 131% on Intel, 268% on AMD, 91% on BlackBerry, or 87% on Nokia ... not to mention great dividends on MSFT and pretty good in INTC.

Smart investing in tech stocks is just part of good investment strategy.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #56
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner

Quote:
Quote:
Apple Fan Boy

So much substance in your retort. AAPL hit an all time high today, so we're good.
Essential had the notch before iPhone X. Deal with it. You crybaby Apple Fan Boys and Girls really embarrass yourselves with your foolishness. Don't you even see that?

Apple doesn't innovate aside from putting emoji buttons on laptops.

The world is headed towards AI and cognitive thinking - Siri and Apple Home technology is as useless as the Newton. Tim Cook makes his money off iPhone sales because the true innovator, Steve Jobs, is no longer with us.

(by the way, I love my iPad Pro)
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 1
EALm43347.50
      06-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #57
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Essential had the notch before iPhone X. Deal with it. You crybaby Apple Fan Boys and Girls really embarrass yourselves with your foolishness. Don't you even see that?

The world is headed towards AI and cognitive thinking - Siri and Apple Home technology is as useless as the Newton. Tim Cook makes his money off iPhone sales because the true innovator, Steve Jobs, is no longer with us.

Show me evidence the “world is heading toward AI” with sales figures. People love to say that, with zero evidence. I think AI will have some impact, but I don’t think there is as much urgency to rush something to market that shows how focused on AI you are as a company. Apple makes 2X the profits of the next most profitable company in the world.

Now show me that when AI matters, Apple won’t be there. Your evidence is Siri? Siri can be updated and Apple is going to be a leader in AR...they are already building the framework for it today with their best in class mobile A-Series chips (one example of innovation) and sheer number of iOS devices active.

Since you aren’t the product with Apple, they limit how much they know about you because they don’t constantly collect your data like Google and Amazon.

Apple’s strategy is working beautifully and when the money making opportunities shift to AR, AI, or whatever else, Apple will be there. I wouldn’t doubt they are working on big things in those spaces.

The point with the Essential is there was one item behind the notch. Apple’s notch has multiple pieces of technology that changed the way users authenticate their phones in a secure way. Apple pays zero attention to Essential, just like users. Apple constantly innovates and leads the industry, as I mentioned earlier in specific examples I provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:07 AM   #58
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

The ones calling others "crybabies" are usually displaying a psychological projection:

Quote:
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others
I'd be mindful of the name calling. It usually tells us more about the person calling names than the people they are trying to mock.

I've posted what it means to innovate, and apple has been widely proclaimed an an innovator numerous times. Your desire to change the definition of the word is immaterial to the truth.

As far as Siri, I think you're being shortsighted when it comes to voice activated interfaces. The development into AI and artificial cognitive thinking requires a massive amount of data on human nuances. A important part of that data comes from Siri, Alexa etc. The value isn't merely to sell a device, or get marketing data for ads, it's to gain access to the immense amount of data about us and our behavior and how we interact with AI.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #59
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'm confused as to whether we're supposed to be bashing the Chinese for their shit IP protection record, or arguing Apple vs Android here

Anyway, if no ones stopping them from making these, what more a knockoff iPhone?

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/...us-copy-china/

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/19/...-court-battle/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #60
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

I'm sure when the machines take over the eventual winner will be declared.

Apple produce wonderful designs, Android is an open platform that's becoming more prevalent implemented on a wide variety of non 'phone' devices and environments.

I'd welcome Apple design, Android OS in an affordable package, (not Apple's strongpoint).

Selling expensive gadgets to those who who have to have the latest and greatest has served them very well. Given the level of personal debt in the US, I wish they hadn't been so successful.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #61
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Well...my iPhone 6S just died yesterday and wouldn’t turn on. Thought about going with Android but since my car only supports CarPlay, I ended up with an iPhone x. Not happy that I had to spend $1,300 on it. Kind of don’t like how everything is gesture based now. It was much easier to close out apps with double clicking the home button and swipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #62
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Well...my iPhone 6S just died yesterday and wouldn’t turn on. Thought about going with Android but since my car only supports CarPlay, I ended up with an iPhone x. Not happy that I had to spend $1,300 on it. Kind of don’t like how everything is gesture based now. It was much easier to close out apps with double clicking the home button and swipe.
Give it a week. Gesture based is the way to go and you’ll hate any phone with buttons.

They can always do something to enhance closing apps in iOS 12, but there is no reason to ever close apps. Craig F, the software VP at Apple, said iOS manages the apps in the background and you really gain nothing by closing unused apps.

Best phone I’ve owned. Also, make sure you’re running iOS 11.4...it’s butter smooth and lightning fast.

Also, to quickly pull up the app switcher, just swipe up and right in one motion like a 90degree angle. Once you get this, closing apps is easier.
Appreciate 1
BMW F223578.00
      06-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #63
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Too many fanbois in here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah nerd fight
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #65
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Since you aren’t the product with Apple, they limit how much they know about you because they don’t constantly collect your data like Google and Amazon.
Are you this naive? Yes they do and yes you are. Not to the degree that they're are as revenue dependent on data like Google, but make no mistake ... Apple uses your data to keep you inside their proprietary tent.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #66
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you this naive? Yes they do and yes you are. Not to the degree that they're are as revenue dependent on data like Google, but make no mistake ... Apple uses your data to keep you inside their proprietary tent.
Apple is easily the best at keeping your data private and collecting as little as possible. You can say it's "naive" but the business model isn't data collecting like Google and Amazon. You are not the product with Apple as you are with Google. Google's entire revenue stream is based on ads which are based on click habits and data collected about what you do online.

Apple has no idea what you ask Siri, for example, because it's encrypted. They don't know what you buy because it's encrypted. They don't know what you message people or what's on your phone, because it's encrypted.

You can say all that's false and they really know everything about you, but there are no facts to back that statement up.

Apple is a leader in advocating privacy.
Appreciate 0