BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Honda Civic Type R

06-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #45
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am 99% sure that this is a great car but FWD automatically removes any fun at low speeds... drifting, hard launches etc. are out...

And remember at a 33k price, one can still have an STI.... this is a hard sell to me... all the FWD cars close to 40k car are very tough sells.
Agreed. If you live anywhere with a winter the Focus RS or the Sti will be MUCH more fun in the snow, cold, etc. I'm an old Honda fanboy, but they've lost their way.

It just looks like that RX8 or IS300 you see at cars and coffee that someone went too far tarting up. The one where you think "that car was pretty cool before they added...." Except Honda tarted it up and it looks terrible.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10051.00
      06-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
In other news... a detuned version of the Civic Type R motor will make it into the next Accord replacing the V6.

What this means is that since the Accord and the TLX shares related platforms... this motor could find its way into the Acura TLX... maybe as a TLX type R?

Think about it... TLX TYpe R with Super Handling torque vectoring awd and making a little more power. That would put the TLX Type R as a car to be cross shopped between an Audi S4 or m340i. They would just need to boost the turbo or strap a larger turbo to the motor to get equiv hp.
There's only so much you can do with a 2.0L four. The Acura would be a possible (ugly) match for the 330xi, but the S4 and 340xi would have much better tuning potential.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #47
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

I submitted a request yesterday at the local dealership that had a white type R on the way. They got back to me today and said its there. He told me the price was almost $34000.00. He said I could come check it out today and they are taking bids. Its up to $40000.00 plus.I told him thanks but no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
In other news... a detuned version of the Civic Type R motor will make it into the next Accord replacing the V6.

What this means is that since the Accord and the TLX shares related platforms... this motor could find its way into the Acura TLX... maybe as a TLX type R?

Think about it... TLX TYpe R with Super Handling torque vectoring awd and making a little more power. That would put the TLX Type R as a car to be cross shopped between an Audi S4 or m340i. They would just need to boost the turbo or strap a larger turbo to the motor to get equiv hp.
Hmm, interesting, so then we would have the base TLX with the NA 4, and then instead of the V6, a turbo 4. Although, the V6 would probably still get better FE. Just like the RDX, they went from turbo 4 to V6 and it gets better mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #49
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmugmotleocay View Post
I submitted a request yesterday at the local dealership that had a white type R on the way. They got back to me today and said its there. He told me the price was almost $34000.00. He said I could come check it out today and they are taking bids. Its up to $40000.00 plus.I told him thanks but no thanks.
Yeah I read dealers are marking them up all the way to $50k. Is that a limited production car?

It's nuts, I wouldn't run and buy one even if it was $25k
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #50
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am 99% sure that this is a great car but FWD automatically removes any fun at low speeds... drifting, hard launches etc. are out...

And remember at a 33k price, one can still have an STI.... this is a hard sell to me... all the FWD cars close to 40k car are very tough sells.
I saw a POV of one doing a hard launch between stopped cars. I was able to feel the pull in my gut just watching the video. I can imagine this car would be really fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #51
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
There's only so much you can do with a 2.0L four. The Acura would be a possible (ugly) match for the 330xi, but the S4 and 340xi would have much better tuning potential.
True the 6 cylinders in those cars have more potential to make more power with modifications. However at stock power levels a theoretical 2.0l turbo derived from the type R stuffed into the TLX with a more potent turbo can make power that is comparible. There are a few cars out there that can do that kind of power such as the AMG CLA45 which makes 360hp with a 2.0l turbo.

I'd love to see Honda/ Acura add turbo's or a supercharger to their V6's however I don't think they have the R&D budget for that. Since the TypeR motor is already federalized then a variation of that is likely going to make it into the TLX. Even if they keep it at 305hp like the TYpe R... it would make more people look at the TLX.

That being said, as far as tuning potential... with enough money and the right turbo's and software you can add more power to anything. Even my wife's stock looking VW CC has an aftermarket turbo making 350 at the crank and 300 at the wheels going through the wrong end (front) with an LSD for the past 60,000 miles as a daily driver... and that thing is fun to drive... not as fast or fun as my M3 but fast enough to shut down GTO's, Mustangs, and Camaro's.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      06-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #52
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Well it is faster, but problem is people who go RWD to FWD is going ass backwards. Especially going from a straight six to a 4 cyl.

Just people riding the bandwagon.
I dunno, outside of driving my dad's E36 M3 when I was in high school, all my performance experience outside the M235i has been FWD. I look at it as an excuse to return to my comfort zone more than anything, it would just need to be close to par with the M235i to compete. The Type R is about as close as it gets without going AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Agreed. If you live anywhere with a winter the Focus RS or the Sti will be MUCH more fun in the snow, cold, etc. I'm an old Honda fanboy, but they've lost their way.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...eel-drive.html

Lost their way eh?

I live where it snows, and AWD just gives you a false sense of security more than anything.

Quote:
This is what I'm afraid of, and kind of knew would happen. Honda's being very hush hush about production numbers because they know this shit happens and dealers love it.

I'm really hoping it isn't a limited production run, that'd be quite the tease. If Honda really wants it to compete with the RS and R (forgetting about the AWD meme) it wouldn't make sense to do a limited run.

I definitely agree with people who said this car is too boy racer/riced, but I don't really care at the same time (not enough to be a deal breaker, anyway). It's has a very loud, in your face design that's just screaming for someone to convert the exterior (and maybe interior?) to a base or even Si look. It'll be interesting to see once people get a hold of these and start tearing them apart how feasible it is to swap base model Civics visual parts onto a Type R.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      06-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #53
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

amazing the thing has zero tq steer.
      06-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #54
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I dunno, outside of driving my dad's E36 M3 when I was in high school, all my performance experience outside the M235i has been FWD. I look at it as an excuse to return to my comfort zone more than anything, it would just need to be close to par with the M235i to compete. The Type R is about as close as it gets without going AWD.

Lost their way eh?

I live where it snows, and AWD just gives you a false sense of security more than anything.

This is what I'm afraid of, and kind of knew would happen. Honda's being very hush hush about production numbers because they know this shit happens and dealers love it.

I'm really hoping it isn't a limited production run, that'd be quite the tease. If Honda really wants it to compete with the RS and R (forgetting about the AWD meme) it wouldn't make sense to do a limited run.

I definitely agree with people who said this car is too boy racer/riced, but I don't really care at the same time (not enough to be a deal breaker, anyway). It's has a very loud, in your face design that's just screaming for someone to convert the exterior (and maybe interior?) to a base or even Si look. It'll be interesting to see once people get a hold of these and start tearing them apart how feasible it is to swap base model Civics visual parts onto a Type R.
It won't be a limited production run because they know they made a product that will sell.

If you do decide to get one, you'll probably miss the sound and feel of the straight six more than anything.

I traded cars with my buddy with a FBO GLA45 for 2 weeks and I missed the sound and feel of the straight six. The GLA45 was fast, and pretty nimble, but the sound and engine was rough, it was just loud and wasn't as refined.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #55
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
PandaM3 The next Accord base engine will be the 1.5 turbo shared with the Civic & CR-V. Step-up motor will be the 2.0 turbo from the CTR but tuned to run on regular unleaded instead of premium. The current Accord V6 makes 278 hp so probably in that same power range.

I have a feeling the RDX will get the Accord 2.0 turbo as its one and only engine option, and the TLX will get that plus the 3.0 V6 hybrid from the MDX Sport Hybrid. So you'd have ~275 and 320 hp versions of the TLX.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #56
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
It won't be a limited production run because they know they made a product that will sell.

If you do decide to get one, you'll probably miss the sound and feel of the straight six more than anything.

I traded cars with my buddy with a FBO GLA45 for 2 weeks and I missed the sound and feel of the straight six. The GLA45 was fast, and pretty nimble, but the sound and engine was rough, it was just loud and wasn't as refined.
You can fix the sound of the exhaust of a 4cyl turbo with a good aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You can fix the sound of the exhaust of a 4cyl turbo with a good aftermarket exhaust.
Only to a point. I've only heard a handful of 4 cyl modded cars with aftermarket exhaust actually sound somewhat respectable. The majority sound like the car is having bowel movement problems or a hoard of angry bees.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #58
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I would not care what other people thought, unfortunately, I would have to look at it. Maybe if I only walked backwards to it in the morning and did not have to see it?
Basically this.

Honda should make a new RSX with this powertrain. THAT would be fun.
      06-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #59
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
He said I could come check it out today and they are taking bids. Its up to $40000.00 plus.I told him thanks but no thanks.
Bids? On a Honda? Um, nah.
      06-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #60
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Basically this.

Honda should make a new RSX with this powertrain. THAT would be fun.
poor rsx/teggy. wish they would bring her back.
      06-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #61
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
poor rsx/teggy. wish they would bring her back.
Well they were going to bring it back, weren't they? And then it turned out to be just another boring sedan? Dunno what happened with all that.
      06-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #62
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Well they were going to bring it back, weren't they? And then it turned out to be just another boring sedan? Dunno what happened with all that.
and they gave it a dct. terrible.
      06-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #63
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Only to a point. I've only heard a handful of 4 cyl modded cars with aftermarket exhaust actually sound somewhat respectable. The majority sound like the car is having bowel movement problems or a hoard of angry bees.
This one guy at a BMW meet had his exhaust sounding pretty sweet and it was a 328i, we thought it was a 335i when we heard the exhaust so it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #64
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
LMAO typical white people. call everything rice...
Today my dinner was rice too ..

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #65
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

I am shocked by how many people on here this car seems to appeal to.

It's tacky, overstyled, seems to lag in real world power/acceleration.

Just buy a GTI, lol. Then a put a tune on it, and destroy this thing.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      06-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #66
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post

Lost their way eh?

Yea, this design is very in your face. But I could care less as well.

I currently have a 17 STi that I daily, and it's just as good in snow as my old 14 GTI with Blizzaks.

I have a deposit down for MSRP with my local dealer on their 2nd Type R that rolls in, and as someone who always wanted the Integra Type R during my teenage years (but could not afford it), I can not honestly wait to drive the shit out of this thing every day.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50